Sponsored

First impressions after 3 hours of driving home on PCH

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So today I picked up an ocean blue 2020 Rubicon Unlimited, and it's fantastic! Since we've been discussing things and comparing notes around here, I thought I'd finally add mine, now that I've spent a few hours in it. I'm coming from a 2015 Sahara Unlimited.

First off, it's a 3.6L with automatic, leather, most other things.

The red dash looks great, about as good as I hoped. The regular non-katzkin leather is actually surprisingly soft - it feels a lot nicer than the leather in my JK did. I was surprised to learn the top of the dashboard is still hard (it looks soft in the pictures)! The new shifter is a welcome change, although it doesn't feel as nice shifting to park as I had hoped. (Silly stuff).

The rearview mirror is ENORMOUS. Wow, I didn't expect that, lol.

Steering is decent! It actually has less play than my JK did, if that's to be believed. It required a nudge here and there (but I was driving sometimes bumpy streets at up to 60mph with a TON of traffic) - thankfully, it doesn't appear to wander. Thank goodness. I was really, really worried about that. My one gripe: The return to center is really weak - and that caught me by surprise the first time I made a tight turn.

Overall paint quality looks pretty darn good. Interestingly, mine came with a layer of plastic over the rear fenders. According to the salesperson it's a protection thing.

Here's one that surprised me - especially after hearing about how quiet they are? When I first started on the road the first thing I did was check if the windows were closed. I went with the body color hardtop, and it's about as loud as my JK was on the road. The 3.6 isn't quiet, but it sounds great. Acceleration is really good, considerably faster than my JK was.

Another figure: I'm 6'1. So far the headroom and legroom is great, although like my JK, the steering wheel doesn't go as high as I'd expect? Like.. I wonder how someone with really big legs fits.

Also this might be because it's brand new, but it feels a little difficult to come to a smooth stop. Turning off ESS helped a little with that? I might just need to get used to the way it decelerates.

Generally speaking though, yeah? I'm pretty thrilled! The build quality feels fantastic.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice intro, now pics are req'd :)
Glad you're off to a great start!

Steven79

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray V6 Auto
Congrats! I too just got my 2020 JLUR and your initial impressions are very similar to mine. When I come to a stop, its not 100% smooth, instead it feels "mechanical".I always turn off the start/stop feature and it makes things much nicer. Mine doesn't seem to wander but I do notice a distinct dead zone in the steering from like 11 oclock to 1 oclock when 65-70mph. All in all, im very happy with my 2020. Again, crongrats and happy Jeeping!

OP
OP

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's another few silly little things I felt like adding:
* There was a foam mat in the glovebox for the rear cargo bin. I thought that was optional? cool.
* The door panels are soooo much better. My JK had this plastic ring around the power locks switch that would dig into my knee, this doesn't! And the part to rest your arm on is squishier.
* The handbrake is 10 billion times better than the handbrake in the JK was. I love it!
* There's.. no button to turn on/off the AC outlet anymore? That's weird.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah, and the back seat seems a lot squishier than the front ones. That caught me by surprise lol.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I noticed they are putting the red dash on all the colors unless you get the brown seats now. Kinda weird.

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
With painted fenders, would really recommend mud flaps for front wheels to cut down on damage from small loose rocks.

Sponsored

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Nice color nice ride! Now time to take it up too Cleghorn Ridge!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
3 hour drive home on PCH on a Friday, I'd say you went about 10 miles.

I like that shade of blue, looks great.
Man I last drove the PCH ~17 years ago and it was severely overrated then.

What a game of hurry up and wait.... everyone floors it at a green only to slam on their brakes one block later at the next red. It's like everyone thinks they can out run the stop light timing but the people who program the lights are on to the game, too and make sure you'll never come to a green light before stopping.

If I actually had to drive the PCH it's the one time I'd want the 2.0T

OP
OP

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was about 60 miles lol. The green and red might thing is true for most of LA. I never understood the point of having a 45mph speed limit on a road where you have red lights every 3 blocks.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Nice review. I too recently took delivery on a 2020 Blue Rubi UNL - and so far I love it. Actually haven't had a lot of time to put many miles on it, what with being gone all summer, but now that I'm home I expect to add to the mere 290 miles I have.
I too was impressed with the steering after hearing so many remarks about the wandering and such in earlier models - and the not returning to center is about the same as my 2012 had, so not an issue with me...I just remind myself nothing drives quite like a Jeep. And yes, the acceleration is far better than the '12! Mine is quieter than the '12 - but then I got the insulated headliner in this one.
I'm 6'3", and very comfortable once in it and rolling. It did take a few times getting in and out to figure out how to do that without getting the calf cramp I got the first couple times!
And I too feel like in fast deceleration, it's a bit rough regardless of the ESS being off whenever I drive it. Hearing yours is that way, along with my latest (now one year old), next-gen, Ram also being a bit rough in fast decelerations - I wonder if that is connected to some sort of engineering/concept FCA found saves fuel...
Sponsored