First highway trip in 2019 Moab

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
This was my family’s first trip in our new Moab. I need to note that I am running the 18 inch wheels with the all terrain tires off a new Wrangler Sarah and lowered the tire pressure to 35 psi from dealer 40 psi. We drove 435 miles one way and after three days back the same route. The ride was very comfortable especially considering it’s a Jeep and had back surgery 3.5 months ago. The only complaint was the wind noise on the interstate which was not as bad as we expected especially considering I was running 80 mph. Two hours on back roads at 60 mph and hardly any wind noise.

I couldn’t drive with one hand on the wheel on the interstate when I picked my Jeep up from the dealer. I learned about the air pressure when I stopped by my local Discount Tire Store where I have purchased many sets of tires. They checked my tire pressure and said they don’t understand why Jeep dealers put 40 or more pounds of air pressure in that type of tire. The Manufacturer’s suggest 35 psi. That made all the difference in how my vehicle handles. I can use one hand just as on my other cars.
Sponsored

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
I think the dealers pump up the tires to 40 psi in case the vehicle needs to sit on a lot for any length of time. The higher pressure helps prevent flat spots. Its a trick I've seen used on vehicles that get stored in an off season. I'm not sure it really makes any difference, but that may be why dealers do it as a standard practice. If you use your vehicle every day, you probably never think what would happen to tires if it sat for a month or more at a time.

norbert

First Name
Norbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Billet Silver/Black
The dealers don't pump up the tires that high, Jeep does it from the factory so that they don't flat spot while in transport. This is SOP for all manufacturers. But it is up to the dealer to set the correct pressure before delivery to the buyer.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
The dealers don't pump up the tires that high, Jeep does it from the factory so that they don't flat spot while in transport. This is SOP for all manufacturers. But it is up to the dealer to set the correct pressure before delivery to the buyer.
I'm not disagreeing with this, but when I took mine to the dealer for the first oil change and tire rotation they filled them back up over 40. :facepalm:
Sponsored