DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys that think the 3.6 is underpowered have the etorque version. That's what I plan on ordering. I know a lot of people like the 2.0 but I can't wrap my head around a tiny engine with a turbo.
The 3.6 is fine. Just run the right axle ratio for your tires. And also realize you need to get some rpm's on it to get to where it lives. Once there, the power is great. I've never felt it was underpowered. I'm running the 6 speed manual and 35's with 4.56 axle ratio but it wasn't bad with 4.10 gears. It just didn't like 6th gear because it is just too tall. Now with the new gears, it puls 6th gear with ease.

It also is smoother and quieter than the 2.0. I'm not dissing the 2.0. It's a little powerhouse. But it sounds and feels, in terms of NVH, like a typical 4 cylinder.

Before the flames roll in, I'm liklely to order my wife's Jeep with the 2.0 because I'm unsure if I want the complexity of E-torque.
Sponsored

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
How does regear factor into it? Your engine has no idea if you are in 8th gear with 4.88s of 7th gear with 4.10s of 6th gear with 3.45s (I didn't do the math, just illustrating).

In the end the engine/transmission will be in a overall gear where the engine produces exactly as much torque/power as needed to maintain the highway speed. It does not matter one bit if you have a higher gear with a lower final drive or a lower gear with a higher final drive. It is all the same.

For modern transmissions with 8,9,10 closely spaced gears, regearing is only about what ration you want in 1st gear. After that, there is an appropriate gear foe every conceivable RPM with very close spacing.
Gearing absolutely matters because they effect the load calculations the pcm is making. Gearing is a torque multiplier and has a net effect on load. Diff gearing has a load effect in every transmission gear and an effect on desired/commanded torque from the controllers.
Speed has nothing to do with it, it's just a side calculation for the speedometer and certain limiters in the calibration.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
When Jeep announced the Xtreme Recon package, including at the Chicago Auto Show, they advertised a 1.5" suspension lift.

Since then, advertising has changed to 35 inch tire suspension. (No mention of lift)

See the two attached pictures.

Looking at the pictures that were posted, I'm wondering if they did away with the 1.5" lift, instead adding giant bumpstops. Hence, the change in advertising from 1.5" suspension lift to 35 inch tire suspension....

Jeep Wrangler JL First Extreme Recon Edition Package Jeep JL Rubicon I’ve seen! - Added suspension + more pics Screenshot_20210907-071742_Chrome

Jeep Wrangler JL First Extreme Recon Edition Package Jeep JL Rubicon I’ve seen! - Added suspension + more pics Screenshot_20210907-071757_Chrome

Screenshot_20210907-073739_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
When Jeep announced the Xtreme Recon package, including at the Chicago Auto Show, they advertised a 1.5" suspension lift.

Since then, advertising has changed to 35 inch tire suspension. (No mention of lift)

Looking at the pictures that were posted, I'm wondering if they did away with the 1.5" lift, instead adding giant bumpstops. Hence, the change in advertising from 1.5" suspension lift to 35 inch tire suspension....
Wow Carlton!! That is some pretty darn sharp observations on your part!! I agree with you 100%. I would like to go to a dealer and crawl under both a standard Rubicon and Extreme one to compare.

What a cheap way to get away with 35's without rubbing. This is some marketing bull crud at it's best. That package is not looking so good. It's only for looks.

It will be worthless on the trail for articulation and function. I noticed (at least on this forum) that a lot of JL owners actually lift and get bigger tires for function over looks. Unfortunately where I live in SoCal most of the owners are posers who's rigs are capable but pavement
queens. It's sad because we have some of the nicest off road in the country.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
What's up with the cv joint axles? Is that something new to the XR package?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's up with the cv joint axles? Is that something new to the XR package?
That's the optional 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System. It is standard on the Rubicon 392 Hemi version.

For 700 bucks and what I would use the JL for it's a no brainer. I would absolutely get the system.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow Carlton!! That is some pretty darn sharp observations on your part!! I agree with you 100%. I would like to go to a dealer and crawl under both a standard Rubicon and Extreme one to compare.

What a cheap way to get away with 35's without rubbing. This is some marketing bull crud at it's best. That package is not looking so good. It's only for looks.

It will be worthless on the trail for articulation and function. I noticed (at least on this forum) that a lot of JL owners actually lift and get bigger tires for function over looks. Unfortunately where I live in SoCal most of the owners are posers who's rigs are capable but pavement
Every lift kit comes with extended bump stops. Any change in tire size requires it.

e23nk1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Freedom Oscar Mike
I think i'm in the minority but for $4000 I was hoping for some additional badging...maybe that makes me a Recon snob....hahaha :)
Anyways looking forward to additional pics as others roll out.
Ive been on order since 8/3/21....am guessing I have a bit of a wait....but will post when she comes in.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every lift kit comes with extended bump stops. Any change in tire size requires it.
I still would like to go under the vehicle and measure. I'm beginning to think it is not "properly" lifted at all. It is only a added bump stop to prevent tire rub at the cost of articulation. I'm willing to bet ground clearance and lift is only done with the tire and not spring changes.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

The XRs at the Chicago Auto Show looked lifted. The white one in this thread doesn't. If this is the case, I'm pretty disappointed with my order.

My last 5 jeeps were highly modified on 38-40 inch tires. I've grown tired of the upkeep and thought this package would be the perfect happy medium.

Looking at the stuffed tires, and the giant bump stops, points towards jeep pulling a fast one.

Hopefully, we see more pictures soon to get a better idea.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get you Carlton, I would be ticked off too. Good news is you are well aware of suspension configurations and how they effect not only the drivability but the maintenance as well.

All is not a loss though. This might still be a good compromise. Albeit a cheap one on FCA's part. You are still getting a really nice wheel/tire package and matched gear set from the factory.

The engineers who have to work with marketing are not stupid. I'm sure they don't want customers coming back with twisted axles and broken steering/chassies components during the warranty period.

On a side note, thank you for adding in the upkeep on bigger tires. I truly believe a lot of owners of lifted vehicles with huge tires are not aware of the other modifications and maintenance involved when going that route. It can get very costly....

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's the optional 4:1 Rock-Trac Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System. It is standard on the Rubicon 392 Hemi version.

For 700 bucks and what I would use the JL for it's a no brainer. I would absolutely get the system.
If I read specs correct, you cannot get 4:1 on the 392, it uses the 2:72 select trac/full time 4wd

Jeep Wrangler JL First Extreme Recon Edition Package Jeep JL Rubicon I’ve seen! - Added suspension + more pics 1631025658091

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I get you Carlton, I would be ticked off too. Good news is you are well aware of suspension configurations and how they effect not only the drivability but the maintenance as well.

All is not a loss though. This might still be a good compromise. Albeit a cheap one on FCA's part. You are still getting a really nice wheel/tire package and matched gear set from the factory.

The engineers who have to work with marketing are not stupid. I'm sure they don't want customers coming back with twisted axles and broken steering/chassies components during the warranty period.

On a side note, thank you for adding in the upkeep on bigger tires. I truly believe a lot of owners of lifted vehicles with huge tires are not aware of the other modifications and maintenance involved when going that route. It can get very costly....
If it turns out that there is no lift, I will add 1-2 inch spacers for a little added clearance, while maintaining a stock vehicle.

Highly modified jeeps are definitely a can of worms. If you skimp on one item, it leads to issues with two, three, or four other items 😆.

Even when done correctly, aftermarket parts need upkeep and maintenance. It is fun for a while, however I have now decided that it is more of a nuisance. Eventually I'll probably go back to a customized jeep, but for now, I want the easy route.
Sponsored