First Diesel Oil Change

runjhike

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
Decided to have my oil changed at 1200miles because I’m going on a road trip in a few weeks and my Jeep was already in having the radio replaced. The oil change was free but says the oil filter is $90!!!! Someone is high as f@&k!!!!
Sponsored

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
Decided to have my oil changed at 1200miles because I’m going on a road trip in a few weeks and my Jeep was already in having the radio replaced. The oil change was free but says the oil filter is $90!!!! Someone is high as f@&k!!!!
Filter is free if you are on wave program. But Price is typical. A bit lees if you go to a valvoline Type Drive thru. All ecodiesels are high. Just had mine done on wave program. It was zero dollars .....

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you can actually get them to do the oil changes for free, by all means take advantage of the Jeep Wave program. I had heard that on diesels they only cover half, but still... go for it!

Once you're out of those freebies you'll want to check out dieselfiltersonline.com because they sell the oil, fuel, air filters for half of list price. That puts the oil filter at around $45 bucks.

For oil, I've found that Valvoline MST 5W40 (being rebranded as European Vehicle 5W40 soon) is the least expensive oil on the market that meets FCA MS-12991 spec. It can be bought for just over $6 bucks per quart.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Can you bring your own filter? That said, I've never had a dealership oil change. I'm sure that I'm being overly careful, but it seems like they have the least experienced technicians doing the work.

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I learned this the hard way on my 2016 Ecodiesel...the maintenance cost basically cancels out any fuel savings over gas...freaking ridiculous. And if you do your own oil changes they threaten you with voiding your warranty.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And if you do your own oil changes they threaten you with voiding your warranty.
I've never experienced this. [and...I suspect that it's illegal] Perhaps you have a particularly grumpy dealer. I keep records, buy my supplies from Amazon, and my "purchase history" (which goes back the the beginning of time) serve as my receipts.

VABarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2020 JLURD
And if you do your own oil changes they threaten you with voiding your warranty.
They can say they will void your warranty, but according to the FTC, it is illegal.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

Sponsored

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
If your engine blows, they’ll point to you incorrectly doing the oil change which they’ll say caused the engine to go. Go read the ecodiesel ram forums, it’s happened waaaay more than once.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
You can change your oil and do all your maintenance. But, you have to maintain extensive records and documentation of everything. Viscosity used, date purchased, date serviced, filter brands and part numbers, receipts for it all, etc. The time you spend documenting and sorting and storing all that information isn't worth it to a lot of guys. Having said that, on the EcoDiesel the savings PER service interval can be $100 to $150 so that's what I'm doing.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can change your oil and do all your maintenance. But, you have to maintain extensive records and documentation of everything. Viscosity used, date purchased, date serviced, filter brands and part numbers, receipts for it all, etc. The time you spend documenting and sorting and storing all that information isn't worth it to a lot of guys. Having said that, on the EcoDiesel the savings PER service interval can be $100 to $150 so that's what I'm doing.
That's what I like about Amazon. I've been a member since 1999, and they have an ongoing record of all of my purchases. Additionally, I keep a simple log in Excel to summarize each maintenance activity. Takes less time to change my oil than to drive to the dealer; let alone waiting for them to perform the work, and to drive back home.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Oh, and do not use a Gen 2 filter on the Gen 3 engine. Yes, they're cheap and yes they're easy to find, but don't do it.
Golden opportunity missed to 'Idiot-proof' the filter design = could have easily made it where there is no possible way to 'Accidentally' use the V2 filter on the V3 engine. FCA Fail.
Sponsored