First day with jeep, being towed back to dealer

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
Yes you have 3 days to change your mind on a vehicle purchase. At least in Minnesota that is what my dealer told me. I had my 2014 that always smelled like coolant from day one. Finally asked about it when I started seeing something on the floor. They ran it on a pressure tester for 3 hours before he said it started to leak. Would've been a new radiator from the start if I had mentioned it. I wouldn't worry about other issues too much or resent your Jeep. Enjoy and congrats on having it back.
Sponsored

Reactions: LS7

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yes you have 3 days to change your mind on a vehicle purchase.
Not true.

For example, for Minnesota, auto purchases are not one of the conditions (though extended warranties are); a page from the MN state AG explicitly states:

The Three-Day Cooling-Off Law does not apply when you buy a vehicle. It also does not cover transactions for less than $25, the sale of insurance or real estate, and sales conducted at public auction or at a merchant’s normal place of business, like a retail store.

https://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/publications/CoolingOffPeriod.asp

Typically it normally only applies to sales at home (originally meant to protect you from "high pressure" sales tactics from door-to-door salespeople.)

The MN site gives these as contracts which are rescindable (most states have similar laws, but check to be sure):
  • Home Solicitation Sales
  • Life Insurance Policies
  • Hearing Aids
  • Extended Car Warranties
  • Military Personnel - Cell/Wireless contracts when called to duty
  • Debt Management and Debt Settlement Services
  • Foreclosure Consultants
  • Credit Services
  • Membership Travel
  • Health Clubs, Social Referral Clubs and Buying Clubs
  • Reverse Mortgages
  • Residential Roofing and Siding
  • Agricultural

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
ok that is intersting. Maybe the dealer was talking about something else. I asked and he said technically you do but maybe that is with regards to them doing the paperwork at your house instead of me being at the dealer. Thank you for find that and linking the info. Sorry I quoted something wrong (I typically pride myself on not doing that).

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ok that is intersting. Maybe the dealer was talking about something else. I asked and he said technically you do but maybe that is with regards to them doing the paperwork at your house instead of me being at the dealer.
No worries.

If you did the paperwork at home, that may have given you rights of rescission under the Home Solicitation Sales provision; I'm not a lawyer. :like:

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
ok that is intersting. Maybe the dealer was talking about something else. I asked and he said technically you do but maybe that is with regards to them doing the paperwork at your house instead of me being at the dealer. Thank you for find that and linking the info. Sorry I quoted something wrong (I typically pride myself on not doing that).

Maybe the extended warranty? Looks like that falls under those listed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Lol, yeah that would be a fun conversation. "Radiator fitting went bad, I want a new jeep!"

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Something tells me I should probably pay for the extended warranty when I get my Jeep... These first gen vehicles are always a risky buy. I was planning on buying a 2019 JL to give them some time to get the first gen kinks out, but I couldn't wait...

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Something tells me I should probably pay for the extended warranty when I get my Jeep... These first gen vehicles are always a risky buy. I was planning on buying a 2019 JL to give them some time to get the first gen kinks out, but I couldn't wait...
I just might hold out for 2019 if they aren't gonna add BSG to the M/T models.

Although I'd be risking another price increase.................and missing a topless summer.

I'm really hoping they'd have their shit together by summer. I'd like that.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I just might hold out for 2019 if they aren't gonna add BSG to the M/T models.

Although I'd be risking another price increase.................and missing a topless summer.

I'm really hoping they'd have their shit together by summer. I'd like that.
BSG?

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I have opted for the extended warranty on my JLUR when I get it. Normally I wouldn't purchase an extended service contract however, since this is the first year model of a redesign, I decided to do it. My thought is that they may not have all of the "bugs" worked out of the first year redesign just yet so I thought I should maybe protect myself somewhat...I hope I don't have any problems though. Usually, I would never by a first year redesign but I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this Wrangler...I'd normally purchase a 2nd year or last year design.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I see... Not sure I'm a fan of it. Not looking for MORE complications to add to potential future problem spots. If anything, I want a Jeep WITHOUT ESS and BSG. Less parts = Less parts that can fail.

This is exactly the reason why those fancy German cars have LOUSY resale value. They come convoluted with 10000 miles of wiring and computer chips, so when they go out of warranty their prices take a nose dive. Expensive and overly complicated.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I see... Not sure I'm a fan of it. Not looking for MORE complications to add to potential future problem spots. If anything, I want a Jeep WITHOUT ESS and BSG. Less parts = Less parts that can fail.

This is exactly the reason why those fancy German cars have LOUSY resale value. They come convoluted with 10000 miles of wiring and computer chips, so when they go out of warranty their prices take a nose dive. Expensive and overly complicated.
Aye. I'm looking for a 2 door manual Sport myself--the least mechanically and electronically complicated JL possible. A 2019 would probably have many early issues fixed, but BSG is a complication I don't need in a vehicle that I expect reliable offroad use out of for years to come. Some have claimed it's much harder to implement on a manual (kinda like remote start and hybrids in general) so they might not--and I'm all for that.

Hopefully Jeep can sell me a simple, manual offroader with a semblance of reliability. If we're past that stage for Jeep, Toyota it is.

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Plenty of them on dealer lots
Sponsored