longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all
Was hoping never to see the check engine light, but guess not. It does not seem to be affecting it at all. Runs and drives perfect.

No message in the message center of the dash, re-checked the fuses, removed the neg. Battery terminal, checked the Pos. Terminal and nothing, still on.

Any other suggestions? before I let the dealership do their thing.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Darryl, if there's an Autozone near you they'll plug it up, and tell you what the CEL is all about. They do that for free in my area. Probably hoping you'll buy something while you're there. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks wanted33, I know they do that, it's just that it's only a month old, under warranty so figured I would let the dealership fix it, but I may run down there and see what the auto place device comes up as. Thanks.

I am reading here, and I see others have had the light come on for no reason other than a software update. Maybe it's just that.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Might sound dumb, but is your gas cap installed?

Just had a family member's brand new Mazda light the check engine warning without anything shown in the message center at all and they forgot to screw in the gas cap. Just something simple to check. Otherwise, maybe stop at a local parts store and have them check to see what code it's throwing.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks wanted33, I know they do that, it's just that it's only a month old, under warranty so figured I would let the dealership fix it, but I may run down there and see what the auto place device comes up as. Thanks.

I am reading here, and I see others have had the light come on for no reason other than a software update. Maybe it's just that.
I understand completely my friend.

Sponsored

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, the gas cap is on, but you never know, maybe it's just not right, I will recheck it. Thanks.

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Thanks, the gas cap is on, but you never know, maybe it's just not right, I will recheck it. Thanks.
Doesn't hurt to look! Weird thing is, the warning light never reset itself automatically and needs to be reset with an OBD2 reader or at the dealership (think this varies by manufacturer). Could be a million things, though.. even a bad tank of gas would probably trip it.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I went to the auto parts store, and it is throwing 3 codes. I did not take a picture of all 3 but I did the one which is P0456, which is an EVAP code small leak detected. Reading on here it seems to be a common thing. Most have said it needed a software update which jeep won't do unless it throws the code.

I checked the gas cap which seems to be ok, it relieves when you open it. Although I don't like it, it seems really loose to me, but I guess it's supposed to be like that, not sure.

Either way it looks like a trip to the dealership. Luckily I have a really good dealership just up the road. Also don't know where the EVAP can is, might find it and check the lines.

IMG_20211023_154852.jpg

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
So, I went to the auto parts store, and it is throwing 3 codes. I did not take a picture of all 3 but I did the one which is P0456, which is an EVAP code small leak detected. Reading on here it seems to be a common thing. Most have said it needed a software update which jeep won't do unless it throws the code.

I checked the gas cap which seems to be ok, it relieves when you open it. Although I don't like it, it seems really loose to me, but I guess it's supposed to be like that, not sure.

Either way it looks like a trip to the dealership. Luckily I have a really good dealership just up the road. Also don't know where the EVAP can is, might find it and check the lines.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Check Engine Light IMG_20211023_154852
Had the exact same code on mine out of nowhere. Unscrewed the gas cap and reseated it. Problem solved. Cleared the CEL with my Flashcal.
It’s my understanding that the CEL won’t shut off on its own and needs to be reset if this is your same scenario.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I read that to, no way to reset the code unless you have something like you have or go to the dealership. I hope it's that simple. Honestly I am dreading going to the dealership even though I like the dealership and they have always been really good. It's the state of affairs in the world today. I don't want to go 100 days or something without my jeep.

Sponsored

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
Although there is a separate p code gas cap (p0457), here's an pretty good link describing the evap canisters
small leak p0456 code. Look under symptoms and possible causes:

https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0456-jeep

probably is the gas cap as the other person above mentioned. I think it takes about 3or4 driving cycles before the code clears after tightening or replacing the cap. Else you could disconnect battery for awhile and reconnect, after 100 miles the computer will recheck and do another evap leak pressure test.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
"really good dealership just up the road", are you talking about Boniface Hiers? I bought my Jeep there, please let me know how the service goes if that is where you're taking it.

+1 on tightening the gas cap and clearing the code. AutoZone, etc won't clear the code ("we aren't allowed to"), you may want to invest in a super cheap OBD2 scanner.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
AutoZone, etc won't clear the code ("we aren't allowed to"), you may want to invest in a super cheap OBD2 scanner.
For around $20, it's good to have one around..

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MS309-Universal-Readiness-Diagnostic/dp/B07Q5H7M5S/

OP, are you sure it threw 3 separate codes or is that just showing page 3 of 3 for just a single code? If it's just the one code, I'd say get a scanner and clear the code yourself and see if it comes back or not, but if yours threw more than one code, it might be safer to have the dealership take a look as soon as you can.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. It's not boniface, I have never had a good experience there. They pissed the wife off so bad she made me vow we would never step foot on their lot again. Parks space coast CDJR in Titusville is where I will be going if it comes to that. I had a very good purchase experience with them when we bought the Ram. Then when it needed fixed we had another very good experience with them. Fixed the Ram in 8 days and we're very attentive and communication was good.

So in 100 miles or so it may clear on its own. Not sure if I should wait that long.

I am pretty sure it was 3 separate codes even though all 3 stated the same thing. I read on that and throwing 3 codes is supposed to help the Tech. Pinpoint what the issue is. I may get the code clearing device and see what happens.

Thanks.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just bought the little scanner. Figured it would be nice to have on hand. Still may end up at the dealership but with 1 new jeep and a newish Ram it will be nice to have the scanner. I do a lot of my own work and if I can read the issue on a scanner and fix it myself I usually will. If not both vehicles are under warranty. The Ram has a 5 year 120k miles bumper to bumper on it.

Scanner should be here Tuesday, think I will be safe until then. I will keep a nose out for any smell of fuel.

Thanks for all the information and help.
Sponsored