Sponsored

First Build for a FNG- advice/imput appreciated

Ed Tom Bell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
got my 18 JLU Sport a few weeks ago. Admittedly, I know next to nothing about building a jeep for what I want/need. I am not planning on making this a hardcore rock crawling bullet proof rig (mainly because I dont have that kinda coin and live no where near a mountain), this will still be my daily driver that occasionally i'd like to hit trails with.

I live in SE Texas where it rains/floods 3-4 times a year. My main concern is getting through high water and mud on country roads and such. I'd like to take it the Hill Country and out to Big Bend to ride trails there some time in the future, too. That being said, this will not be a rock crawler.

I'd like to lift it, but nothing crazy, just about 2" or so and add around 33" maybe 35" tires. I dont know if I can just buy some take offs spring/coils from a Rubicon and get all I want, or should I just do a spacer kit or do a full on suspension lift?

Any advice would be welcome.

also, if this is in the wrong place, please let me know where it should go. Thanks
Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
got my 18 JLU Sport a few weeks ago. Admittedly, I know next to nothing about building a jeep for what I want/need. I am not planning on making this a hardcore rock crawling bullet proof rig (mainly because I dont have that kinda coin and live no where near a mountain), this will still be my daily driver that occasionally i'd like to hit trails with.

I live in SE Texas where it rains/floods 3-4 times a year. My main concern is getting through high water and mud on country roads and such. I'd like to take it the Hill Country and out to Big Bend to ride trails there some time in the future, too. That being said, this will not be a rock crawler.

I'd like to lift it, but nothing crazy, just about 2" or so and add around 33" maybe 35" tires. I dont know if I can just buy some take offs spring/coils from a Rubicon and get all I want, or should I just do a spacer kit or do a full on suspension lift?

Any advice would be welcome.

also, if this is in the wrong place, please let me know where it should go. Thanks
This is the wrong place. Because, we’re going to spend way too much of your money! Frankly, unless you buy a loaded Rubicon you’re an idiot. -sarcasm-

Get what you can easily afford and enjoy it. A stock sport is probably more capapable than you’re willing to push. Go and get it stuck a couple of times and figure out what you need. I would bet good money, you don’t get it stuck;).

FYI, I rode in a group ride with a stock Sahara a few moths ago. It went everywhere I did that day. Through door high water and up steep muddy hills.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Welcome to the fold. I think you really should look for some Rubicon take off tires. They are actually taller than a 33" tire (because they are metric sized equivalent). thats a good thing. I think they measured 33.4" without load. a 33" floatation size would probably be around 32.6".

A stock Wrangler Sport can ford 32" of water. thats pretty good. if you wanted to keep it super cheap, you can buy a 2" polyurethane spacer. its a wat to get lift without investing too much and if you are not going to be rock crawling, you dont need to worry about the suspension travel.

Rubicon springs i think are 1" taller than the stock sport springs. but should still be enough to get the rubicon tires under your vehicle.

you will be surprised how capable you vehicle is stock, especially with good off road tires.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon Springs and rubicon tires are a huge upgrade. If you plan to spend time in mud then you might skip the BFG A/T's that come on the rubicon and get some real mud tires. A winch bumper and winch may be your friend as well in mud.

Have fun.
Sponsored