Sponsored

First 200 miles - Advice for break in of a 4xe ?

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
I'm picking up the 4xe from Lakeland FL and driving the 200 miles back home. I have the option of major highway, secondary highway, or paved country roads. Any suggestions on the best use of these roads for the first 200 miles (it has 11 miles on it now). I can spend the time necessary if need be.
-- Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL First 200 miles - Advice for break in of a 4xe ? IMG_4294[4406]
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
GASOLINE ENGINE (IF EQUIPPED)
A long break-in period is not required for the
engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in
your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles
(500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km),
speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are
desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration
within the limits of local traffic laws contributes
to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle
acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and
should be avoided.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I think if you’d break it up between the three options you will be ok. I just picked up mine as well. I kept it under 55 for the first 60. Now I’m just trying to vary the rpms till I hit 300. Mostly back roads driving with brief bursts like the manual says on highways. Just remember to switch to esave. Otherwise it will try to run in electric as much as possible. If you do have to take highway just make sure you don’t use cruise.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
GASOLINE ENGINE (IF EQUIPPED)
A long break-in period is not required for the
engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in
your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles
(500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km),
speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are
desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration
within the limits of local traffic laws contributes
to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle
acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and
should be avoided.
Thanks, that's from the manual, I know, and is the same for any gas engine. I was just concerned about droning on highway with 4xe for half the break in period for 3 or 4 straight hours -- or maybe spread it out at lower speeds.

There is also that elephant in the room, where some think I may not even make it home without a tow. I have no idea the percentage of 4xe's have issues in the first 100 miles. I know its low, and the dealer should have installed all the software updates. I guess I'm just paranoid because I will be many miles between service departments if something does go wrong.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I drove my Sahara (not 4xe) home from Nashville to Texas this summer. I did backroads/small highways (<50) for the first 300 miles, then highway (no cruise control) for the next ~600.

Yeah, it kinda sucked, but a day of boring driving to set myself up for hopefully 10-15+ years of low maintenance ownership is a small price to pay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
I drove my Sahara (not 4xe) home from Nashville to Texas this summer. I did backroads/small highways (<50) for the first 300 miles, then highway (no cruise control) for the next ~600.

Yeah, it kinda sucked, but a day of boring driving to set myself up for hopefully 10-15+ years of low maintenance ownership is a small price to pay.
Yeah it sounds like its gonna be a long day for my 200 miles. I'll plan for 5-6 hours, I guess. Maybe I will stop by a trail if I can find one (a dirt road, anything) just to break up the monotony.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
It's fine dude just drive it home like you normally would.
Well.. that would 80-90MPH on the turnpike all the way home, zipping in and out of slower traffic. This time, I will be the slower traffic. :)

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Well.. that would 80-90MPH on the turnpike all the way home, zipping in and out of slower traffic. This time, I will be the slower traffic. :)
If you don't do a rolling burnout leaving the dealer you've missed a golden opportunity.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah it sounds like its gonna be a long day for my 200 miles. I'll plan for 5-6 hours, I guess. Maybe I will stop by a trail if I can find one (a dirt road, anything) just to break up the monotony.
No cruise is what was tough for me, especially since I opted for the adaptive cruise and REALLY wanted to test it out.

My last vehicle was an '07 GMC Sierra that I drove until...well...this summer. ~205K miles and it still ran like a champ. I think the only thing I ever took it to a shop for was a few months ago it started throwing evap codes and I couldn't figure it out and didn't feel like dropping the tank to find it.

Otherwise, did all my own oil changes, swapped the rack and pinion, repaired the AC and window motors a few times. If you treat them right they'll hold up just fine.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If this is your first Jeep, you're in for a surprise. Yes, it *can* hit 80-90 MPH pretty easily (at least mine can) but tbh it's ... not fun going that fast in a Jeep, lol.

I rarely go over 70 in mine anymore, esp if I have the top open/off. Just enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
If this is your first Jeep, you're in for a surprise. Yes, it *can* hit 80-90 MPH pretty easily (at least mine can) but tbh it's ... not fun going that fast in a Jeep, lol.

I rarely go over 70 in mine anymore, esp if I have the top open/off. Just enjoy the ride.
Yes, one of my intents was to slow down on the roadways, and really slow down on the trails. For the past few weeks I've been practicing driving under 70. I'm being passed by most people doing 80+.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks, that's from the manual, I know, and is the same for any gas engine. I was just concerned about droning on highway with 4xe for half the break in period for 3 or 4 straight hours -- or maybe spread it out at lower speeds.

There is also that elephant in the room, where some think I may not even make it home without a tow. I have no idea the percentage of 4xe's have issues in the first 100 miles. I know its low, and the dealer should have installed all the software updates. I guess I'm just paranoid because I will be many miles between service departments if something does go wrong.
1700 miles in a month and a half with zero issues. I think you'll love it, we certainly do.

Remember you're gonna see a lot more complaining on a forum than in real life, there's a lot of these on the road now.

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
Just in case it isn't obvious, you should be watching the "hybrid miles", not the "total miles" for the break-in period. Any time spend in electric is not using the 2.0L engine, and is not part of the engine break-in. Consider using the paved roads for most of the trip, it will make it easier to vary your speed and stay in the recommended speed ranges.

Most of my break-in happened during the first part of trip from Dallas, Texas to Jacksonville, Florida. The hills in Mississippi were fun... 45 mph at the bottom, slowly move to full throttle, 70+ mph at the top.

On the reliability issue, I had no issues during the trip there and back. I am at about 4500 miles so far and the only problem I had was a cracked windshield at 1800 miles. I think that the people with no issues do tend to post a lot less, so it makes the chance of a problem look more likely than it really is.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
1700 miles in a month and a half with zero issues. I think you'll love it, we certainly do.

Remember you're gonna see a lot more complaining on a forum than in real life, there's a lot of these on the road now.
Understood, and good to hear. Maybe we need a thread for 4xe's with no issues (yet!). If something comes up, just go back and edit/delete your post. But nah, no one would keep that up, so ones with issues always get over-represented coverage.
Sponsored

Last edited: