Sponsored

Firewood alternative for overlanding/campfires?

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
is there an alternative to bringing lots of bulky firewood for a campfire? duraflame? Anything else? Thanks
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Most places would actually prefer you don't bring your own firewood for fear of transporting bugs, especially the pine beetle and emerald ash bore beetle.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Lot of places it's illegal, in fact.

If mostly it's for cooking, charcoal works, of course. Or, alternatively...as JJ Cale said, "if your day is gone, and you want to ride on, propane"

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Is it primarily for cooking or ambiance?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re in a national park don’t cut down anything live. The park rangers don’t take kindly to folks that cut down live trees, no matter how small and no matter if they’re blocking the perfect hammock hanging location at your camp site.

But yeah, if the local flora allows it, pick up all the deadfall around you that you can and use a starter log to get it going. That way you only bring a small box of starter logs. If you have to drive a ways from your campsite to find wood so be it, just don’t leave anything too valuable.

Speaking of starter logs, I do highly recommend every self-respecting man to learn how to build a fire in numerous ways, from flint and tinder to matches to the bow method. But once you learn, break out the ol’ cheater log. Also, look up dakota holes. They’re great for making powerful fires infernos that are more wind resistant and burn hotter than normal fires. If it has rained recently look for deadfall that’s stuck in the trees and never made it to the ground, it’ll be drier.

Sorry if that was more than you were looking for... actually, no I’m not, it may help someone.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I was half kidding with the axe, you don’t want to cut down live stuff but it works to chop up dead stuff.

I always bring a freshly refilled Zippo in the woods with me. Boy Scouts taught me dryer lint is the best fire starter, but Weber also makes these little paraffin wax cubes for lighting charcoal, they work great for lighting camp fires too. A box of like 20 is maybe $4.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7417-L...ay&sprefix=weber+charcoal+chimney+star&sr=8-3

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
If you want to go ultralight, try an alcohol stove. I've built the Fancy Feast stove from scratch using a fancy feast can and a tomato paste can, or you can order them premade. Runs off of yellow Heet alcohol fuel additive.

It's surprisingly effective.

See this video from Shug

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Haul up your million dollar cardboard box from SF...

Sponsored

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
There are a few propane camp fire setups on the market I have one that I take when going to the desert where there is no wood.

Heres the one I have
Camco Little Red Campfire

camco-little-red-campfire-1299014-1.jpg

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Cotton balls in vaseline work for starters too....cheap and easy to pack in a tin. Fire sticks are good too....
I just use dryer lint. 9 volt battery + steel wool + dryer lint and not only do you have a nice fire going almost instantly, but you will also clean your dryer vent the second you get home once you realize how quickly it burns.
Sponsored