Sponsored

Firestone Destination MT2 reviews / opinions?

Jodymustang

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler willys. What is everyone’s opinion on road performance for the firestone destination MT2. Coming from prior JK owner who used to own NittoTerra grappler G2 which held up great but, handled poorly on wet road conditions. I know one is all-terrain and one is mud terrain just asking
Sponsored

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
500 miles on dry road and they're ok.
I've never had mud tires, so they are a little noisy compared to AT's, but not bad.
We're supposed to be getting snow tomorrow, so we will maybe see how they do on road with snow.
-Dave

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have 10k+ miles on a 315/70r17 set now. Replaced teh 35" KO2's that were horrible in the mud and slung rocks bad. These were C rated and teh MT2's are E rated. at 33psi I do not feel a difference.

Have not had in supper deep snow yet due to a mild last winter but perform well. Wet pavement is pretty good - on par with the JK on duratracs we have.

They make the JLUR climb like a mountain goat on wet/muddy/dirty hills. Airing down and they grip. On drive pavement, they have very sufficient grip.

Wear has been even but seem to wear faster than the KO2's.

Noisy yes but so is the Jeep with a soft top. No big deal.

Unless this winter changes my mind, I will be replacing with another set in the spring.

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
Well, we had several inches of snow on my drive in this morning.
The highway hadn't been plowed yet.
Doing 60, 2WD was a little slick, wasn't enough for full time 4, so I used the auto mode with my selec trac. Felt great with that.

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
So that night I ran a completely snow covered interstate for 40 miles and it seemed good.
Got to my girlfriends house and her driveway is on a small hill with about 4" of wet snow and it spun all 4 wheels getting up it.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I was a bit worried about rain/wet performance but honestly they have done really well in those conditions so far. Noise has been honestly way better than I expected. My local dealer didn’t have a Willys to test drive so I was a bit worried about it but it seems pretty minimal to me. Either way, the Jeep will certainly fair better than my previous 2011 Hyundai Sonata. :CWL:

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler willys. What is everyone’s opinion on road performance for the firestone destination MT2. Coming from prior JK owner who used to own NittoTerra grappler G2 which held up great but, handled poorly on wet road conditions. I know one is all-terrain and one is mud terrain just asking
I like them a lot for a mud terrain, they handle pretty well in the wet (for a MT tire.) They still suck compared to a street tire for traction but I don't drive hard on the street in my Jeep so it's a non-issue for me. If one were an aggressive driver (hard braking and heavy accelerating), it would be obvious that they don't have the wet weather performance of say the Dueler H/L tires. Try offroading with the Duelers though on slippery terrain.

Comparing them against some of the all-terrain LT tires that I've ran in the past, they perform excellent in the wet but not quiet as well on icy pavement. Noise is slightly higher than the all terrain tires I've ran on other vehicles, but is not obnoxious and I usually drive with no music on. That may change as the miles rack up but currently they are surprisingly quiet, I was expecting worse. If I lived somewhere where it snowed a lot, I would explore other options that perfrom better on icy pavement.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I just turned 6000 miles today on my Willys. The MT2s are actually a very good tire. They ride great. I average about 22 MPG. Noise is there, a little more then the same size tire (255/75/17) in BFG KMs that I had on my JK. I would pick this tire over a comparable BFG. The tread is wearing nice and even to. I keep them at 34 PSI.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i hate these tires compared to the BFG KM3 Muds that i have on my other J**p.

mainly because of the fact that they grab road irregularities like Trench Cuts and pull the vehicle around, but also because i find them far more likely to slip in the wet than the BFGs. even pussy-footing around in the rain, i can feel these things slipping on wet pavement under braking and acceleration.

these were stock on my Willys, and i find them dangerous enough that i absolutely, positively will not buy them again.

Sponsored

NotSoBrightWhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL 2 door Sport S Bright White
I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I’d give my opinion. My 2020 Wrangler Sport S has BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs, and they’re great. Very smooth riding in the road. We recently purchased another Wrangler, a 2022 Willys Unlimited. I absolutely do not like the Firestone Destination tires it came with. Really loud, and not at all smooth. I live in Florida, and I will never have to drive in the snow, so I’d much rather have tires with good road manners.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
For these Firestone Destination M/T2 tires having been stock on the Willys for the past several years (and before this year on the Willys Sport as well) , I'm surprised by the relative lack of reviews and comments on them here.

I do have them on my 2022 Willys Sport, on which they were not stock, but I had the dealer switch my stock BFGs with the Firestones from some Willys take-offs. I'd previously gotten some very positive feedback on the Firestones by several local Willys JL and Gladiator owners, which was mainly what led me to making that choice. I'll be curious to see how they do this coming winter, in particular.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had TWO Jeeps with versions of this tire and I like the wear, performance and ride. On my 2013 JK I bought and installed the Original MT’s and I will admit, they were a little noisier. Any wide blocky tire is going to slip a little due to the block tread. There is no siping to allow them to grip in the wet.

On my 2020 JL Willys, I can feel them doing the same thing on pavement either wet or painted stripes also. The MT/2 is a quieter tire for sure. The tread design is improved over the original MT. I feel that the performance of my JL is better than that of the JK for sure. Driving it on a seasonal use road this past weekend showed no issues even in some of the rougher stuff. I have had some HARD braking and the Jeep and tires hauled it down very very well. I live on a hill and the grip seems to be fine. It has been a long time since I’ve owned BFG’s, the last time was on a 75 CJ5 way back in 1977. At that time, they were a pretty darn good tire, but they were not much larger than the stock tires that came on that Jeep.

Would I buy them again. Probably not. I want something more like the Falken Wildpeak AT/3’s,

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
They are best on an off road Jeep , Michelin"s are the best if you worry about pavement performance. however the sidewalls????
Sponsored