Firestone Destination A/T2 on Wrangler Rubicon

rampart_ranger

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys XR
As someone who has spent an inhumane amount of time over-analyzing Jeep tires, thought I'd share a recent experience that may help someone else.

I run 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 2019 JLUR. They look awesome and perform like rockstars off road. But when I drove this beast halfway across the country and got 13mpg on the highway, I decided I should pull the trigger on a second set of wheels/tires for winter and roadtrips. So began the search.

My goal was to find an OEM size option (for the Rubicon, 285/70R17) that weighed as little as possible, but still in the A/T category. I knew I wanted a P rated tire (vs an LT C or D), something smooth and soft to quiet the ride on long hauls. I came across the Firestone Destination A/T2 - P285/70R17, coming in at 41 lbs (that's almost half the weight of 35" RGs). They measure out to just under 33" and come with a 55k mile warranty. They have the 3 peak snow rating and you can tell from the tread they'll handle water, slush, snow really well. They're pretty pedestrian looking, but with Firestone's 90 Day Buy & Try policy, I decided to give it a go.

Just as I expected, they rode buttery smooth, took the harshness out of Colorado's terrible roads, and were super quiet. Everything you would hope for in a tire meant for the occasional roadtrip. Definitely a great option for a Jeep that spends most of its time on the highway.

But... I really didn't like how they looked. It felt like putting dress shoes on - too tight, clean, and just didn't match. I think it was the lack of shoulders on these tires that really turned me off. I know I bought them for the highway, but I figured I would leave these on for several months since I don't do much winter wheeling. They don't look that bad, just not my style. I returned them for a full refund on the tires.

All that said, prior to buying, I searched the internet for pictures of these tires on a Jeep Wrangler, with no luck. Found a few pictures of them on trucks and some cool SUVs, but with that, figured I'd share these in case anyone else is looking!

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Had those on my F150, ran well and long tread life. Would buy them again.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
As someone who has spent an inhumane amount of time over-analyzing Jeep tires, thought I'd share a recent experience that may help someone else.

I run 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 2019 JLUR. They look awesome and perform like rockstars off road. But when I drove this beast halfway across the country and got 13mpg on the highway, I decided I should pull the trigger on a second set of wheels/tires for winter and roadtrips. So began the search.

My goal was to find an OEM size option (for the Rubicon, 285/70R17) that weighed as little as possible, but still in the A/T category. I knew I wanted a P rated tire (vs an LT C or D), something smooth and soft to quiet the ride on long hauls. I came across the Firestone Destination A/T2 - P285/70R17, coming in at 41 lbs (that's almost half the weight of 35" RGs). They measure out to just under 33" and come with a 55k mile warranty. They have the 3 peak snow rating and you can tell from the tread they'll handle water, slush, snow really well. They're pretty pedestrian looking, but with Firestone's 90 Day Buy & Try policy, I decided to give it a go.

Just as I expected, they rode buttery smooth, took the harshness out of Colorado's terrible roads, and were super quiet. Everything you would hope for in a tire meant for the occasional roadtrip. Definitely a great option for a Jeep that spends most of its time on the highway.

But... I really didn't like how they looked. It felt like putting dress shoes on - too tight, clean, and just didn't match. I think it was the lack of shoulders on these tires that really turned me off. I know I bought them for the highway, but I figured I would leave these on for several months since I don't do much winter wheeling. They don't look that bad, just not my style. I returned them for a full refund on the tires.

All that said, prior to buying, I searched the internet for pictures of these tires on a Jeep Wrangler, with no luck. Found a few pictures of them on trucks and some cool SUVs, but with that, figured I'd share these in case anyone else is looking!

Jeep Wrangler JL Firestone Destination A/T2 on Wrangler Rubicon IMG_6222.JPG

I actually dig the look of those. Like a mini-baja look. I've been thinking about putting some 275/60r20 of these on my stock 4Xe Sahara coming in. Thanks for the pics! Helps with the decision. Have you had a chance to compare the highway ride on the Destination AT2 vs other ATs?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Excellent, under rated tires. Looks are subjective but heavy, chunky tires aren’t the best choice for pavement and long distance highway use.

As a mater of fact, I would say a mild AT or a highway tire like a Michelin Defender would perform well enough off road that most Wrangler owners would be better off with them.

The comprimise though are all terrains such as the BFG KO2, which is a tire that seems to do everything well, but isn’t great in a particular category. Tires require comprimise which should be based on your primary use.

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
What width of rims and what offset did you mount those on?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rampart_ranger

rampart_ranger

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Willys XR