DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, this recall just popped up in the Jeep app for my rig.

I mean, I'm glad they are addressing it, but super annoying at the same time.

So is this like a 'stop driving my vehicle" kind of recall? Jeep doesn't seem to say.
I'm not stopping driving. I am, however, going to have a good fire extinguisher on board and quickly accessible. But, remember, there are only a handful of these that are known to have experienced it. FCA probably knows of more of them than we do, but it still would be a very low percentage. I am betting that the repair involves new materials in the clutch pressure plate that is more heat resistant, as well as rerouting of fuel lines or whatever was the ignition source for fire. They probably just have to determine the best material for the job that meets multiple criteria, starting with heat resistance, how it reacts when if it does get hot, and of course, cost effectiveness. That takes time.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with an Elements extinguisher mounted under the front of my seat, for VERY quick access.

Probably the one thing I will do is refrain from towing my boat with it. Otherwise, I'm proceeding with normal driving behavior.
Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Do we have a sponsor here that will discount the Element fire extinguisher in a group buy?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Do we have a sponsor here that will discount the Element fire extinguisher in a group buy?
I just ordered one a couple of hours ago and could not find a working discount code anywhere. They’re $90 after shipping.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good question. I've only seen them factory direct, so I'm not sure we have a vendor. @JAY might be able to reach out to Elements themselves to inquire. If they did that, I'd probably go ahead and get one for the JK, too.

https://elementfire.com/

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone considering going right to centerforce?
Nope. I like free and I've been 100% happy with my clutch so far. However, if FCA paid for it and I saw truly excellent reviews, I'd consider it. I just personally don't feel this clutch leaves me wanting for anything in any area of its operation. I wouldn't want to change it, at this point. I'd consider one for my JK, though, if I needed to replace it.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I like the clutch and plan to drive it until it gets replaced either way, but I’ve wondered whether the centerforce with the heavier flywheel would help when crawling. If I’m yanking the clutch anyway, I’m not opposed to changing it to make my JL a better crawler.
Even though I’ve regeared, on tough terrain at idle she’ll stall occasionally.

I’ll probably do the work myself... I’m not in love with my dealer.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
So what are the “some circumstances” that causes this?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
On the bright side, I’ll get a new clutch for free after putting 30-40k miles on my original.

Edit: I just ordered myself an Element Fire Extinguisher. I was looking for an excuse to buy one, anyway... :like:
I ordered one too a couple weeks ago after seeing this thread. Now I have to figure out how and where to mount it.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
And I waited, shopped, and took a 10 hour road trip all for a manual JLU a couple weeks ago.
Now to deal with the service department that can’t ever seem to put a car back together the same as you took it in.

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I ordered one too a couple weeks ago after seeing this thread. Now I have to figure out how and where to mount it.
I did the same .... I have 1 in the front and one mounted to my tailgate table in the back. I just used some 3M command strips for both on there black mount. Here's the front ----- definitely not going anywhere when the doors are off
IMG_0415.jpg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a raider rack and will mount mine there with a “quick fist.” https://www.raiderrack.com/

(The extinguisher will also fit in the mesh pouch on the door for a quick, free option.)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I did the same .... I have 1 in the front and one mounted to my tailgate table in the back. I just used some 3M command strips for both on there black mount. Here's the front ----- definitely not going anywhere when the doors are off
IMG_0415.jpg
Yep. This a almost a custom fit location for the extinguisher. I mounted mine with a short strand of picture wire to the seat rail. But, frankly, the fit here is so good, I don’t think it’s even needed for “normal street” driving.

I like your solution better than mine and may switch it out. Thanks!

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I have a raider rack and will mount mine there with a “quick fist.” https://www.raiderrack.com/

(The extinguisher will also fit in the mesh pouch on the door for a quick, free option.)
got a quick fist for one on them and not super happy with it. The diameter is so large the it bends the back. I can't get it to sit flat against anything .... Let me know if you find a way!
Sponsored