Sponsored

Fire result of transmission failure

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Th

Ey didn't. It was designed by Aisin, one of the most reputable transmission manufacturers in the world. We also don't know that it is a design defect, manufacturing error, or material defect.
They have screwed up manual transmissions before that were built by someone else.... anyone remember the NV4500? Both Dodge and GM used it but Chrysler had to mess with it so the 5th gear would fall off the shaft.
Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
They have screwed up manual transmissions before that were built by someone else.... anyone remember the NV4500? Both Dodge and GM used it but Chrysler had to mess with it so the 5th gear would fall off the shaft.
You know New Venture Gear made that transmission.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You know New Venture Gear made that transmission.
Hence the NV........ But the GM unit didn't lose a gear and the Dodge did.....

It was more about the how they copy everyone else's homework but screw up because they spelled it wrong

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Aisin is OUT! FCA signed a new 15 year deal beginning with 2022 JL's and Gladiators. They have been leaders in manufacturing since the 60's with a wide catalogue of products.
acme rocket skates.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So help me with what exactly they did?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hence the NV........ But the GM unit didn't lose a gear and the Dodge did.....

It was more about the how they copy everyone else's homework but screw up because they spelled it wrong
Post a source or link. I'm assuming you have some data to back that up. You also said transmissions, so please share any other examples you allege.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Post a source or link. I'm assuming you have some data to back that up. You also said transmissions, so please share any other examples you allege.
Sorry if I have upset you, I am not here to stir up crap

https://torqueking.com/nv4500-5th-gear-failures-and-solutions/

Yes it says it happens with both versions but it was very common in the Dodge and not so on the GM.

As far as other things, this dual mass clutch they have put in the new JL (that is failing) other manufacturers have been using for decades without catastrophic failure. And the newer Chrysler OHV V8 is just a bad knockoff of an LS right down to the camshaft failure. The dial a gear trans they got from Mercedes Benz but some how worse. The AAM diff they made in conjunction with GM but not the same?

Yes every manufacturer has huge mistakes or blunders (glock 44, GM breaklines, Toyota frames, Ford 6.0-6.4..ect) no one is perfect. After 20years as a mechanic I have seen it all. There isn't a new car that doesn't suck in some way or another.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if I have upset you, I am not here to stir up crap

https://torqueking.com/nv4500-5th-gear-failures-and-solutions/

Yes it says it happens with both versions but it was very common in the Dodge and not so on the GM.

As far as other things, this dual mass clutch they have put in the new JL (that is failing) other manufacturers have been using for decades without catastrophic failure. And the newer Chrysler OHV V8 is just a bad knockoff of an LS right down to the camshaft failure. The dial a gear trans they got from Mercedes Benz but some how worse. The AAM diff they made in conjunction with GM but not the same?

Yes every manufacturer has huge mistakes or blunders (glock 44, GM breaklines, Toyota frames, Ford 6.0-6.4..ect) no one is perfect. After 20years as a mechanic I have seen it all. There isn't a new car that doesn't suck in some way or another.
So because I ask you to back up some reckless statements and you think I'm upset? Since you brought it up, I'll assure you that you didn't bother me at all. I didn't take your statements seriously enough to get upset. In fact, I'm amused because you did what I thought you'd do. You responded with no facts to support your statements, but rather more of the same kind of wild claims and conclusions.

Rave on if you'd like. Wake me up when you post something factual rather than ranting with conjecture and hyperbole.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, your source clearly says the NV4500 5th gear failures were experienced by both GM and Dodge. That contradicts your earlier statement that FCA caused it.

I appreciate you posting that and clearing it up for us.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So because I ask you to back up some reckless statements and you think I'm upset? Since you brought it up, I'll assure you that you didn't bother me at all. I didn't take your statements seriously enough to get upset. In fact, I'm amused because you did what I thought you'd do. You responded with no facts to support your statements, but rather more of the same kind of wild claims and conclusions.

Rave on if you'd like. Wake me up when you post something factual rather than ranting with conjecture and hyperbole.
Cool, glad I could help out.

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just seen there’s been a safety recall on the manual transmissions. Hope the op gets a good lawyer.

itstotalbacon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Well it's official .... Safety recall just came out and explains the hold on all M/Ts builds

IMG_0412.JPG