Fire Extinguishers... what one to get?

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Lookomg for recommendations for a fire extinguisher and holder for my 2019 JLUR. Probably rear roll bar mount would be what I would like but I am open to any ideas. Need for beach and light off road. Soft top will be on so also theft of it is on my mind since it is visible and easy to take.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Lookomg for recommendations for a fire extinguisher and holder for my 2019 JLUR. Probably rear roll bar mount would be what I would like but I am open to any ideas. Need for beach and light off road. Soft top will be on so also theft of it is on my mind since it is visible and easy to take.
Mike:

I don't know how much $ your willing to spend but the solution to your problem involves...well...IMHO...a complete rethinking of the fire extinguisher as we know it....

https://elementfire.com/collections/allproducts

..they provide longer fire extinguishing times, they can be hidden under the driver's seat rendering need to strap them in, or theft/visibility a non-starter, and well

the definition of a useless fire extinguisher is the perfect capable one sitting between you and a potential fire...my thoughts being that one on the Sports bar may look cool, but having the device always accessible to you, as it would be under the driver's seat is best.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I'd be curious to see what any professional firefighters on the forum might think about the Element. In looking at the demo videos, it looks like you have to get your hand fairly close to the fire for it to work. Certainly the benefit of a pressured, traditional extinguisher is that you can put some distance between you and the flames. I'd also be curious how well this works outdoors in the wind, since its agent is gas. If it takes you longer to extinguish a fire because of that, the extra discharge time would be a wash, it would seem.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'd be curious to see what any professional firefighters on the forum might think about the Element. In looking at the demo videos, it looks like you have to get your hand fairly close to the fire for it to work. Certainly the benefit of a pressured, traditional extinguisher is that you can put some distance between you and the flames. I'd also be curious how well this works outdoors in the wind, since it's agent is gas. If it takes you longer to extinguish a fire because of that, the extra discharge time would be a wash, it would seem.
@rustyshakelford what do you think? You’re an expert in fire science.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Keep in mind these small fire extinguishers only last about 10 seconds. That is not a lot of spray.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Keep in mind these small fire extinguishers only last about 10 seconds. That is not a lot of spray.
Element 50 claims 50 seconds of discharge but I haven't tested that claim. One thing I like about is the easy clean up. I've seen the aftermath of using an ABC fire extinguisher on an engine bay after a small fire... Halon is an option but personally I don't want to deal with a second full size extinguisher.

https://elementfire.com/products/element-e50

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
yeah, I was more talking about the traditional extinguisher. The elements look pretty cool.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I just bought a Jeep so I was doing research on fire extinguishers. I ended up going with the Amerex 2.5 lb and the Bartact holder. The reason being it's fairly cheap so if it gets stolen, I won't be too worried about it.

I looked into the Element extinguishers and I wanted to like it, but I could not find an actual video of someone putting out a fire. There are only sales videos in controlled environments with no wind present. 99% of the reviews are from people who never used one. So all these things, plus the high price just was a no-go for me.

I also looked into Halon extinguishers which leaves no residue. That's great, but keep in mind that you may be putting out a fire in someone else's Jeep, or they might use their dry chemical extinguisher on your Jeep. They are also really expensive so getting it stolen will suck.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd be curious to see what any professional firefighters on the forum might think about the Element. In looking at the demo videos, it looks like you have to get your hand fairly close to the fire for it to work. Certainly the benefit of a pressured, traditional extinguisher is that you can put some distance between you and the flames. I'd also be curious how well this works outdoors in the wind, since its agent is gas. If it takes you longer to extinguish a fire because of that, the extra discharge time would be a wash, it would seem.
Excellent counterpoint Dave.

FWIW I have a conventional extinguisher in the back and the element under my seat.

I'm really not expecting JL fires, I just come from the Emergency Services mindset. : - )

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
Over the years, I’ve come across vehicle fires twice. Not my own, but others in our group. Both times, the fires were due to fuel line leaks. Both times, it took TWO extinguishers to put out the fire. These were the small dry chemical 1A10BC size extinguishers that we typically carry in our Jeeps.

i have a roll bar mount, and run a soft top in the winter and bikini top in the summer. I’ve never worried about theft of my extinguishers because thieves want something that they can quickly convert to cash. (I have a Tuffy glovebox for my valuables)

Last edited:

gr8ridn01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
If you go to the media heading on the Element website they have some videos of the extinguisher putting out fires and the proper distance you should be from the fire for best effect. I am impressed enough so I ordered 2 Element 50 units for my Ram truck and JL. They would be a perfect fit for my door pocket, small form factor and light weight. I was also impressed with how long they work after being ignited. 50+ seconds is a long time to put down a fire, much better than a conventional pressurized ABC unit. This could be very helpful in windy conditions.

I will also be pulling a camping trailer at times and with it hitched to the Jeep my access to the rear compartment is useless for fast access. I found a 10% off code and applied it to my order. NGS10
Sponsored