EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
There is an article on the main page of this forum. It sounds like all of the damaged vehicles were destroyed.

This is why I chose to go with the tried and true 3.6L instead of the new 2.0L turbo. I'll never take a new engine before they've had time to work out all of the quirks...aka explosions. :facepalm:
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
This is why I chose to go with the tried and true 3.6L instead of the new 2.0L turbo. I'll never take a new engine before they've had time to work out all of the quirks...aka explosions. :facepalm:
Work out the quirks? Sounds like they haven't really gotten them off the parking lots yet.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Too hot inside and then BOOM??? In Ohio....these definitely aren't ready for the Texas heat where it can get over 115 deg. inside a car easily during the summer.

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Work out the quirks? Sounds like they haven't really gotten them off the parking lots yet.
That's because they have to scrape them off of the parking lots. :cwl:

They never should have been pushed into production without proper testing. This is something that would have been discovered if they simulated a hotter climate during their QA. A lot of people push their Jeeps to the limit so the testing should be extensive on any new products, especially an engine. I'm guessing they had a deadline and would have been penalized if they missed it.

On the bright side, Mopar is making socks, now. :cwl:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Too hot inside and then BOOM??? In Ohio....these definitely aren't ready for the Texas heat where it can get over 115 deg. inside a car easily during the summer.
Awh, 'ell, we can probably also get to 115F outside the car during the summers here in Texas, especially if you count parking it on a black asphalt parking lot. The forecast for Dallas is 109F on Saturday. It would not be unreasonable to assume it's going to be a bit hotter than that on some of those black asphalt parking lots.

According to a news article that I read, the CDC says that if it is 100F, the temperature inside a car can rise to 130F to 172F.

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I don't have a dog in this fight as I went with the 3.6L but i'm going to chime in anyways. Unless I'm missing the intent of the sock, Putting a sock over the battery will NOT keep it cooler it will only buffer the temperature. Insulating will only slightly increase the time (r-value dependent) it takes to get to it's ambient but it will still get there. Unless there is a method to remove the heat then this is not a fix. I will not be parking next to a 2.0 on a hot day. There are many more states hotter than Ohio. Lithium + heat = Fire

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
As I said in another post I don’t wish any bad on anyone but damn, who wants to be a test dummy with the new 2.0 and it’s sock fixing it. Lol
Will the sock be a fireproof sock ?

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I don’t understand how these type of quality issues can occur. Do our wishes in technology and comfort outweigh our ability to design safe products? Geez.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand how these type of quality issues can occur. Do our wishes in technology and comfort outweigh our ability to design safe products? Geez.
I think these kiddie engineers would do well to spend some time with real engineers that work for aerospace companies so that they can be enlightened about the concept of redundant systems for safety and that poor design decisions can have serious outcomes.

"Sorry, but after your last design change ended up killing the test pilot, we're having difficulty finding a volunteer to test your 'fix'..."

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
(a) How they occur is pressure to avoid re-thinking stupid ideas , and to avoid re-checking manufacturing results , and to avoid testing , for the purpose of greater profit for the bosses ...

(b) "our wishes" are delusional desires caused by dishonest marketing to our greedy brains ...

(c) result is customer is suckered into paying too much money when he could have considered alternatives .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
(a) How they occur is pressure to avoid re-thinking stupid ideas , and to avoid re-checking manufacturing results , and to avoid testing , for the purpose of greater profit for the bosses ...

(b) "our wishes" are delusional desires caused by dishonest marketing to our greedy brains ...

(c) result is customer is suckered into paying too much money when he could have considered alternatives .
Nothing wrong with profit as long as it doesn't get in the way of a good design. :)

Some of these things they are putting on the vehicles though... Well... I don't consider them to be part of a good design... :(

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Nothing wrong with profit as long as it doesn't get in the way of a good design. :)

Some of these things they are putting on the vehicles though... Well... I don't consider them to be part of a good design... :(
What is missing is a good design .
Sponsored