Sponsored

Fire at Jeep Wrangler storage lot in Toledo

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Useful. Good to know. Sometimes, simple statements make understanding much easier to process. Had several others say something similar. That's the sort of input I was looking for.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Hey, high five for issuing the internet for good reasons. Virtual bbq ribs are in their way to you :)
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I am just hoping that this fire had to do with a mouse chewing on wire insulators, and not some manufacturer defect.
As far as I'm concerned, if a mouse is chewing on the wire insulators, it IS a manufacturing defect... Or to be more precise, an engineering design defect... Many manufacturers in a quest to be "green" used soy based insulation in their wiring awhile back. And many car owners suffered thousands in damages because using a *food stuff* as an insulator attracts rodents.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
As far as I'm concerned, if a mouse is chewing on the wire insulators, it IS a manufacturing defect... Or to be more precise, an engineering design defect... Many manufacturers in a quest to be "green" used soy based insulation in their wiring awhile back. And many car owners suffered thousands in damages because using a *food stuff* as an insulator attracts rodents.
You have a point.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
It's a point that cost me over $1K to learn, thanks to the idiots at Dodge.
I am sorry this happened to you and the others that had the same problem. FCA should have made it right.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am sorry this happened to you and the others that had the same problem. FCA should have made it right.
Yeah, they should have issued a recall on all vehicles in which a *food stuff* was used as electrical insulation and all managers and engineers involved in that decision should have been fired. What's next? Peanut flavored wiring?

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
They could have at least used bacon to wrap the wires. That way when it burns it smells yummy.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Any word on what FCA did with these damaged jeeps? Auction? Junk yard?
I'm sure members would like to have spare parts available for a discounted purchase price. I could use a new driver's side power mirror.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I'm sure members would like to have spare parts available for a discounted purchase price. I could use a new driver's side power mirror.
I believe they said they will take their time to retrofit them with fixes later on. That is a long process, though, which is why they are rebuilding the “clones” for us.

I’d say very close to 0% chance that they sell parts from those to the public.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
They will crush them rather than run the risk of any liability after the fact of trying to sell a fire damage vehicle,

Sponsored

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There has been a spat of complete meltdown fires in new JLs parked all over Toledo in factory storage lots (see story from 2 months ago). My buddy who works there clued me in on what the deal is -- it is only on the 4 cyl turbo models.

There is a 45 volt circuit that has a dedicated battery (the 48 volt battery that is the primary in the mild hybrid system) in back and as the Jeeps sit on lots waiting to be delivered to dealers the batteries rupture and explode due to interior temperatures. The divider next to the battery is thin and is near the fuel cell.

They just solved the issue though. They added a "sock" cloth heat shield that gets put over the battery that owners are expected to not lose or delete....

Scene from fires in May:

Screen-Shot-2018-05-21-at-4.16.07-PM.png

nel1551

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2017 Subaru Forester

Not sure what FCA plans to do but I was on the copart website. It is the salvage yard the insurance companies use when they total a vehicle. There were several brand new, still in plastic jl wranglers for sale on that website a few weeks ago. Maybe ones that can be salvaged are being sold.

There are still some one there. This is a 2018 jk. Not seeing the JLU now.

Capture.JPG

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got a bit warm...

745222b9-fad6-46f2-8e87-8685b425164a.jpg

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
There has been a spat of complete meltdown fires in new JLs parked all over Toledo in factory storage lots (see story from 2 months ago). My buddy who works there clued me in on what the deal is -- it is only on the 4 cyl turbo models.

There is a 45 volt circuit that has a dedicated battery (the 48 volt battery that is the primary in the mild hybrid system) in back and as the Jeeps sit on lots waiting to be delivered to dealers the batteries rupture and explode due to interior temperatures. The divider next to the battery is thin and is near the fuel cell.

They just solved the issue though. They added a "sock" cloth heat shield that gets put over the battery that owners are expected to not lose or delete....

Scene from fires in May:

Ummmm. That alone would keep me from buying that model. In Texas it’s a good chance that a human will spontaneously burst into flames in this heat. I’m not relying on a sock to prevent my car from doing it. . .

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

Scene from fires in May:

I knew it!
Can’t trust that lithium nonsense.
Sponsored