Fire at Jeep Wrangler storage lot in Toledo

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I think people waiting for a 2019 are ignoring the possibility of another price hike. Oil is way up and you can be sure this cost will be added to a lot of products including MY2019 vehicles. I would estimate at least another $500 added to the base MSRP and the possiblity some options now included only being available on higher end packages.
Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
One word. Diesel. Worth the wait. Assuming I figure that DPF out.

The other issue is the current delays. My two engine options are as stated above and 2.0. The latter is available but not yet shipping from what I’m reading. Ordering now doesn’t guarantee I get mine that much sooner. Each must weight the options as currently known.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I’m curious about why the 2019 will be better than the 2018. Granted there may be new colors and maybe a few incremental features but the vehicle isn’t changing, the production line is the same the employees are the same and the suppliers are as well. I appreciate we’re moving up the learning curve on build quality but given Jeep is building 20K+ vehicles a month we should be well down that curve long before the end of October. I understand the MY impact on residual value but that’s a trade-off of delaying the buyers enjoyment of the Vehicle. I bought a 2018 JLUR because I wanted it for the Summer of 2018. If I wait until the 2019 MY, I looking at the Summer of 2019, life is short, at 61 I’m getting to old to wait.
Everybody knows the first year is always plagued with problems. That's when the manufacturer is working out the kinks and using the first year buyers as beta testers. I work in manufacturing so I can assure this is 100% the case. The flip side is the manufacturer is 100% vested in the success of the first year model, but kinks are kinks and they will pop up. At first the manufacturer will write them off as a fluke, then as more pop up, take them more seriously, by the second year, those kinks get worked out. The downside is, some kinks get written off as "design improvements" and just get rolled to the next year with no resolution for the 1st year owners.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
One word. Diesel. Worth the wait. Assuming I figure that DPF out.
Maybe... Assuming that they make it with a manual, I might be tempted... But the way that Dodge / Chrysler has tended to make the diesels a lot more expensive than the gas models, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I think people waiting for a 2019 are ignoring the possibility of another price hike. Oil is way up and you can be sure this cost will be added to a lot of products including MY2019 vehicles. I would estimate at least another $500 added to the base MSRP and the possiblity some options now included only being available on higher end packages.
$500 pales in comparison to the 1 year savings I can build up by 2019 as well as letting them shake out the bugs. . Me personally, I'm wanting to see how the new tax code shakes out to see what my actual take home is next year.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Everybody knows the first year is always plagued with problems. That's when the manufacturer is working out the kinks and using the first year buyers as beta testers. I work in manufacturing so I can assure this is 100% the case. The flip side is the manufacturer is 100% vested in the success of the first year model, but kinks are kinks and they will pop up. At first the manufacturer will write them off as a fluke, then as more pop up, take them more seriously, by the second year, those kinks get worked out. The downside is, some kinks get written off as "design improvements" and just get rolled to the next year with no resolution for the 1st year owners.
No argument on “kinks”, but that’s a volume thing not time. I work in a Manufaturing company as well, so I understand. My point was after 100,000 units, about 4 or 5 months, so we must be nearing that point, the line should be fully shaken out. The folks complaining about delivery delays hopefully will take some comfort in the fact that quality should be steadily improving. I waited about 4 months so I appreciate it’s frustrating, luckily the quality of my JLUR has been fine.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Come on guys. No need for condescension. Let’s act like members of the Jeep community. I’m not here to fight, I just want to learn about these fires as I wait (im)patiently for my Jeep order which is stuck in storage.

Yes - forums tend to get off topic from time to time. Just as I said in a previous post. It’s when it turns to pages of off topic discussion (especially when that off topic discuss is focused on one subject) that things can get better by branching into separate threads. Your Tesla conversation will be much richer if other people interested in Teslas know it exists - an appropriately titled thread will help with that.

People are not clicking this link to read about Teslas. They see the thread subject and think they’re going to learn about the Jeep fires. I’m fine with discussion on Tesla, let’s just do it in an appropriate place.
Seriously it's like this. We all know lithium batteries catch fire for no apparent reason. The Samsung Note 7, cheap Chinese Hoverboards, Boeing 787, and yes Teslas. Samsung quit selling the Note 7, I don't know what happened to the cheap hoverboards, and Boeing surrounded their batteries with a steel box, and Tesla blamed everybody and anything else.

Now that the 2.0 is out with the hokey fake hybrid shenanigans, it would make sense that temperamental lithium battery technology pulled another fast one and lit a damn parking lot on fire.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously it's like this. We all know lithium batteries catch fire for no apparent reason. The Samsung Note 7, cheap Chinese Hoverboards, Boeing 787, and yes Teslas. Samsung quite selling the Note 7, I don't know what happened to the cheap hoverboards, and Boeing surrounded their batteries with a steel box, and Tesla blamed everybody and anything else.

Now that the 2.0 is out with the hokey fake hybrid shenanigans, it would make sense that temperamental lithium battery technology pulled another fast one and lit a damn parking lot on fire.
And since the vehicles are parked so close together, even if just one of the vehicles has a problem with that type of battery, there's a good chance that it might spread to other vehicles.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
No argument on “kinks”, but that’s a volume thing not time. I work in a Manufaturing company as well, so I understand. My point was after 100,000 units, about 4 or 5 months, so we must be nearing that point, the line should be fully shaken out. The folks complaining about delivery delays hopefully will take some comfort in the fact that quality should be steadily improving. I waited about 4 months so I appreciate it’s frustrating, luckily the quality of my JLUR has been fine.
I would be totally comfortable with a late 2018, but even more so with a 2019.
In my case I have no choice but to wait for a 2019 anyway, so go me for making the world's most perfect choice! (although I would have bought the world's 1st JL if circumstances permitted lol)

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Seriously it's like this. We all know lithium batteries catch fire for no apparent reason. The Samsung Note 7, cheap Chinese Hoverboards, Boeing 787, and yes Teslas. Samsung quite selling the Note 7, I don't know what happened to the cheap hoverboards, and Boeing surrounded their batteries with a steel box, and Tesla blamed everybody and anything else.

Statistically lithium Ion Batteries are very safe, perfect, no but safe with in reason, yes. Literally tens of billions have been produced and they have become ubiquitous, we’re all surrounded by them. Yes, the Dreamliner had an issue but a fire at 38,000 feet in the cargo hold is very different than a car fire, or a cell phone fire. Every Dreamliner passenger flight actually has hundreds on Lithium Ion Batteries in the cabin as almost everyone has a smartphone. If used properly, the risk of fire is extremely small.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Maybe... Assuming that they make it with a manual, I might be tempted... But the way that Dodge / Chrysler has tended to make the diesels a lot more expensive than the gas models, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Cheapest way to get all that torque. Doubt it will be manual. Force buyer to spend another $2k. :(

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Statistically lithium Ion Batteries are very safe, perfect, no but safe with in reason, yes. Literally tens of billions have been produced and they have become ubiquitous, we’re all surrounded by them. Yes, the Dreamliner had an issue but a fire at 38,000 feet in the cargo hold is very different than a car fire, or a cell phone fire. Every Dreamliner passenger flight actually has hundreds on Lithium Ion Batteries in the cabin as almost everyone has a smartphone. If used properly, the risk of fire is extremely small.
Not small enough apparently.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cheapest way to get all that torque. Doubt it will be manual. Force buyer to spend another $2k. :(
Yep, so another $4500-5000 for the diesel (assuming it is the same "eco-diesel" that is an option for the Grand Cherokee) and $2K for an (unwanted) automatic transmission. Will it be available on the 2-door model? If not, then that would be even more that I would be stuck paying for that I didn't want. Nawh, I'll have to pass on that... I own two diesel vehicles currently, but they didn't end up costing a premium in order to be diesel. Diesel fuel is more expensive, but for one of the vehicles, the gas version would have needed 91+ octane gas anyway, so the cost of fuel is similar. With the Wrangler, the choice of 87 octane gasoline vs diesel makes it a bit less desirable.

Right now, an Exxon gas station nearby has 87 octane for $2.59 per gallon, 87 octane for $2.95, 91 octane for $3.19, and diesel for $2.79. Often though, I see diesel and 91 octane for pretty close to the same price.

Let's assume a Wrangler that gets 25 mpg with gas (87 octane) and it possibly getting 30 mpg with diesel. Let's also assume a 1000 mile trip. The gas Wrangler is going to need 40 gallons at a cost of $103.60. The diesel Wrangler is going to need 33.333 gallons at a cost of $93.00. So, you're saving $10.60 for 1000 miles. Even if we just assume $4500 more for the diesel (not including the automatic transmission), we looking at 377,358 miles before we break even on just the fuel. Assuming 15K miles per year, that's over 25 years before it breaks even. How many people end up keeping their Jeep for 25 years? Sure, *some* people keep cars for that long, but I suspect most people get tired of a vehicle before that and want to switch to something newer (not that it necessarily means that it is *better*).
Sponsored