OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
We did Fins and Things in 2010 when I had my JKR. I have always wanted to go back. I was new to Jeeping at that time so I found Fins and Things to be an adrenaline rush.

Thanks for the excellent video. :)
Glad you liked it. And yes... I do much more dangerous things, like class V kayaking, but Fins was definitely an adrenaline rush. When the consequence for a miscue could be instant, major damage to your expensive new toy.... that's enough to get the blood going.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yeah, there's a thread buried around here about that Westin oil pan skid and the pan mount where it bolts to the skid broke off the Westin plate :(

Also that Westin plate has rather large holes that could get hung up as it's sliding over jagged rocks, not a great design IMO.
Man, thanks, looks like I dodged a bullet with the Westin. I actually bought it from 4wheel Parts, but they ordered the wrong one. And by the time the right one came in, I had talked myself out of it and said "no thanks."

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, the drain plug is 100% accessible.

1638416756543.png
And by the way, look how that old 3.8 oil pan sticks down compared to the JL 3.6. It's an Achelles heal! I'm not familiar with the 2.0, but I'm guessing it doesn't stick down like that, either. I'd love it if Rancho would make one of these for my 3.6 Jeeps, though. It gives a little peace of mind.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
And by the way, look how that old 3.8 oil pan sticks down compared to the JL 3.6. It's an Achelles heal! I'm not familiar with the 2.0, but I'm guessing it doesn't stick down like that, either. I'd love it if Rancho would make one of these for my 3.6 Jeeps, though. It gives a little peace of mind.
Yeah, that does look sketchy. I'm going to look into the Asfir system. I feel like mine is fairly well tucked up in there, but still, exposed, and protection for that vital spot makes sense.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, that does look sketchy. I'm going to look into the Asfir system. I feel like mine is fairly well tucked up in there, but still, exposed, and protection for that vital spot makes sense.
And the ASFIR only weighs like nothing :)

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ASFIR skid for my 2.0 sitting ready to install I just haven't gotten to it yet. It weighs 22lbs is all. They ship fast and last month had nice sale with 50% off shipping. Not sure what they have now sale wise. They are made in Israel but they used DHL shipping. 7 days I had mine. Thats counting 2 weekend days.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fins and Things Trail Moab 4x4 Adventure - mostly-stock JLUR 1638462022408

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
If you hit all the optional lines on Fins n Things, you'll do fine making your way through hells revenge. The really big stuff is optional, just make the trip to the overlook, look at hells gate (dont drive it), drive by the hot tubs, and skip the tip over challenge, and the escalator. You'll do just fine with the rest of it. FWIW, Jeepeto II made it through Hells Revenge in this way on the same day that we hit Fins n Things. You've got more clearance, bigger more aggressive tires, and lockers.
I took a rental JK backwards down escalator. Riding a wheelie in reverse all the way down will really pucker you up.

Full disclosure i got stuck on the last spot up and couldn't get it to ride the wall the rest of the way. So I had to put it in reverse to get out.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I took a rental JK backwards down escalator. Riding a wheelie in reverse all the way down will really pucker you up.

Full disclosure i got stuck on the last spot up and couldn't get it to ride the wall the rest of the way. So I had to put it in reverse to get out.
🤣 What company did you rent from? I think Twisted Jeeps is about the most lenient as far as named obstacles you can hit, that seems like a big risk there outlaw.

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
🤣 What company did you rent from? I think Twisted Jeeps is about the most lenient as far as named obstacles you can hit, that seems like a big risk there outlaw.
I didn't know i was on escalator until i got out of it. Escalator was one of the 3 trails they didn't allow you to take their jeep on. It might have been twisted jeeps that I rented from. I wasn't to happy renting a Rubicon for the day with a non functioning front locker and completely removed front sway bar.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I didn't know i was on escalator until i got out of it. Escalator was one of the 3 trails they didn't allow you to take their jeep on. It might have been twisted jeeps that I rented from. I wasn't to happy renting a Rubicon for the day with a non functioning front locker and completely removed front sway bar.
Yikes! That’s a big line to accidentally end up on. Did you accidentally come in from the trail exit?

How much was the cleaning fee for the brown stain on the drivers seat? 🤣

Sponsored

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
Yikes! That’s a big line to accidentally end up on. Did you accidentally come in from the trail exit?

How much was the cleaning fee for the brown stain on the drivers seat? 🤣
I came in at the bottom. I remember telling my wife that looks fun let’s try it.

She also bailed on me after I gave it several attempts and kept falling into the hole on the second dip. Her exact words, “I’m f***ing scared and I want out”. After she got out I ran it backwards with both front wheels in the air the entire way down.

This thread brought back fun memories.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I ran it completely stock (rubicon). Some scrapping. There was one section maybe 2/3rds through that had a wall on the left and was very narrow and steep on the way down. Mirror had to be very close to the wall to get down. Not my cup of tea. The jeep didn’t care. It yawned. But I didn’t like it.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I came in at the bottom. I remember telling my wife that looks fun let’s try it.

She also bailed on me after I gave it several attempts and kept falling into the hole on the second dip. Her exact words, “I’m f***ing scared and I want out”. After she got out I ran it backwards with both front wheels in the air the entire way down.

This thread brought back fun memories.
Sounds like my wife haha. I made her read it. She’s like you boys love fucking with your wives.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I ran it completely stock (rubicon). Some scrapping. There was one section maybe 2/3rds through that had a wall on the left and was very narrow and steep on the way down. Mirror had to be very close to the wall to get down. Not my cup of tea. The jeep didn’t care. It yawned. But I didn’t like it.
Ha! Well... nobody is ever going to accuse that trail of not being crowded enough. So I suppose one guy who didn't like it and isn't going back, is not a bad thing...

ajridgedell

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Awesome, we're taking our stock JLR there over christmas break and hope the weather is good enough to do fins and things.
Sponsored

Last edited: