OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Not at all. I had some scrapes on the underside of the steel bumpers front and rear but nothing you couldn't use some rattle can on. I was very cautious on lines. Golden Spike it felt like I needed some more clearance/35's but honestly, I never even used the lockers.

FWIW, I've been wheeling since 2005, though nothing serious until 2011.
Right on!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
1:58: pucker factor as the Tacoma's passenger tire sees air.

4:55: Is that a bearded Idahoan on the back of the JLUR?

This makes me want to go soo badly.
Ha! Glad you caught that moment for the Taco! I didn't notice it day-of; only when watching the footage later. The sticker on the back of the JLUR is an NRS sticker--they make whitewater gear and are based in Moscow, ID. I lived in Idaho for a bit.
Super glad that the video got you stoked!

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
If you hit all the optional lines on Fins n Things, you'll do fine making your way through hells revenge. The really big stuff is optional, just make the trip to the overlook, look at hells gate (dont drive it), drive by the hot tubs, and skip the tip over challenge, and the escalator. You'll do just fine with the rest of it. FWIW, Jeepeto II made it through Hells Revenge in this way on the same day that we hit Fins n Things. You've got more clearance, bigger more aggressive tires, and lockers.
Awesome; Hells is now on the must-do list.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yep that's right. Subarus can make it through Hell's revenge. Can/should are two different things of course but nonetheless, the trail isn't hard and you can pretty much bypass everything. It's a beautiful trail.
I did some dumb stuff in my Outback back in the day. Got it stuck in deep snow on the shoulder of Pikes Peak in January...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I did some dumb stuff in my Outback back in the day. Got it stuck in deep snow on the shoulder of Pikes Peak in January...
Haha, that sounds sketch !

Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I did Fins and Hell's Revenge both in one day a couple months ago. My Rubi is stock. Both were great fun. :)

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Great video, thanks for posting.

I'm an off road novice. I'm curious what tire pressures you were running (looks like stock tires) and is your Jeep 4 or 6 cyl?
Thanks.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Great video, thanks for posting.

I'm an off road novice. I'm curious what tire pressures you were running (looks like stock tires) and is your Jeep 4 or 6 cyl?
Thanks.
Glad you liked it!
I am a novice, too.
I was running at about 20 pounds - I meant to air down to about 18, but there is a discrepancy between the tire gauge I used to air down and the vehicle's TPMS. Plus I aired down in the chilly morning, and the pressure rose with the sun/temps. 18lbs probably would have been better, but 20 worked.
Yeah, they are the stock BFG KO2s, 33inch, 285/70/R17s.
Mine is the basic 3.6l v6, manual transmission. I loved the way the gearing/crawl ratio felt on this trail.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't that many years ago that 33's were the equivalent of what 37's are today. And people ran the toughest trails in Moab on them all day long.

A stock Rubi is exceptionally capable. Heck, a stock Sport will surprise most people as to what it can do.

I ran my JKUR in Moab in 2015 with pretty much the exact specs as today's stock Rubi. It had a 2" spacer lift and 33's, which set the ride height, ground clearance, approach/departure angles, and breakover angle about where my JLUR was when it was stock. It had zero issues on any of the trails. I did bump the exhaust, the hitch, and rub the T-case skid plate a few times, but that's why you have skid plates.

My wife's new JLUR will make it out to Moab in the next couple years, God Willing, and it will likely do it bone stock. I can't wait. (Unless she changes her mind and wants big tires and a lift, LOL!)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It wasn't that many years ago that 33's were the equivalent of what 37's are today. And people ran the toughest trails in Moab on them all day long.

A stock Rubi is exceptionally capable. Heck, a stock Sport will surprise most people as to what it can do.

I ran my JKUR in Moab in 2015 with pretty much the exact specs as today's stock Rubi. It had a 2" spacer lift and 33's, which set the ride height, ground clearance, approach/departure angles, and breakover angle about where my JLUR was when it was stock. It had zero issues on any of the trails. I did bump the exhaust, the hitch, and rub the T-case skid plate a few times, but that's why you have skid plates.

My wife's new JLUR will make it out to Moab in the next couple years, God Willing, and it will likely do it bone stock. I can't wait. (Unless she changes her mind and wants big tires and a lift, LOL!)
I prefer a bit of a challenge, too. It's fun picking lines -- if you overbuild, honestly too much point and shoot becomes boring after a while. At that point, you're into some gnarly stuff to have fun anymore which comes with guaranteed body damage. No thanks. I'd prefer a healthy balance.

As I'm about to go put 39's on my 392.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Yeah, it is nice, and easy to forget, that the JL stock is really kind of leveled-up from what previous stock versions would have been. It DOES bother me, though, that there is no oil pan skid or any kind of front bash guard. But with the clearance and the articulation of that suspension, I guess it shouldn't be needed.

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500
Great video! Fins and Things looks like a lot of fun, and glad to see that my JLR should handle it nicely (Keeping it mostly stock aside from armor and slightly bigger tires in the future). Never truly been wheeling before, but, eager to get out there and start.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it is nice, and easy to forget, that the JL stock is really kind of leveled-up from what previous stock versions would have been. It DOES bother me, though, that there is no oil pan skid or any kind of front bash guard. But with the clearance and the articulation of that suspension, I guess it shouldn't be needed.
My JK's oil pan sticks down far lower than the JL 3.6. So I've got a Rancho armor kit on it. Still, I've never hit it. But I sure wouldn't complain about having that feature.
Sponsored