OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Great video! Fins and Things looks like a lot of fun, and glad to see that my JLR should handle it nicely (Keeping it mostly stock aside from armor and slightly bigger tires in the future). Never truly been wheeling before, but, eager to get out there and start.
Thanks; glad you liked it!
Fins is crazy-fun. But it IS rated a difficult in the FunTreks guide. If you haven't already, I would definitely do a number of moderates first. I did moderate trails for a lot of years in my Cherokees before doing my first Difficult in my JLUR. Practice with lines, tire placement, speed and throttle management on moderate stuff will make something like Fins easy.
But if you don't have those practiced skills... well, I watched somebody break an axle on Fins that day. There were some broken parts strewn about. Bad things can happen with driving mistakes there, even in an awesome JLU.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My JK's oil pan sticks down far lower than the JL 3.6. So I've got a Rancho armor kit on it. Still, I've never hit it. But I sure wouldn't complain about having that feature.
What does that kit cover; the oil pan only? Or more? I almost installed a Westin oil pan skid, but you had to replace oil pan bolts to do it, and I didn't like that... But I also don't want to add much weight in the front. If there was a light-weight aluminum skid that protected the oil pan, AND didn't use the oil pan bolts, AND left a well-placed opening for the drain plug.... which, maybe there is. I haven't researched enough yet.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What does that kit cover; the oil pan only? Or more? I almost installed a Westin oil pan skid, but you had to replace oil pan bolts to do it, and I didn't like that... But I also don't want to add much weight in the front. If there was a light-weight aluminum skid that protected the oil pan, AND didn't use the oil pan bolts, AND left a well-placed opening for the drain plug.... which, maybe there is. I haven't researched enough yet.
Yep, it actually uses gasket sealer to attach to the oil pan. It just sticks right on there. No bolts. It's been on there for probably 10 years or so. No issues. And I still haven't hit it, LOL!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great job @ColoradoMike sounds like you had a blast! Have you run any of the trails in the San Juans yet? If not you need to put that on your must do list. Can't wait to hit Moab, wish I had the Rubicon w/ the better axles, transfer case ratio and lockers, but my little Sport S mountain goat has got us around pretty well. I have full skids and they came in handy at Rocky Gap near Las Vegas a couple weeks ago.

You might look into the MORE oil pan skid plate, they get decent reviews, and also that low hanging exhaust loop is pretty vulnerable so having an exhaust loop skid is a good idea (Skid Row makes one). I DIY'd my full skids and that exhaust loop took a direct hit, glad I had it protected as they're about $600 to replace :(

Keep up the good work, off to a great start!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Great job @ColoradoMike sounds like you had a blast! Have you run any of the trails in the San Juans yet? If not you need to put that on your must do list. Can't wait to hit Moab, wish I had the Rubicon w/ the better axles, transfer case ratio and lockers, but my little Sport S mountain goat has got us around pretty well. I have full skids and they came in handy at Rocky Gap near Las Vegas a couple weeks ago.

You might look into the MORE oil pan skid plate, they get decent reviews, and also that low hanging exhaust loop is pretty vulnerable so having an exhaust loop skid is a good idea (Skid Row makes one). I DIY'd my full skids and that exhaust loop took a direct hit, glad I had it protected as they're about $600 to replace :(

Keep up the good work, off to a great start!
Spent some time in the San Juans, but never any real OHV there. I'll look into those skids.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yep, it actually uses gasket sealer to attach to the oil pan. It just sticks right on there. No bolts. It's been on there for probably 10 years or so. No issues. And I still haven't hit it, LOL!
Nice. I like gasket sealer as opposed to using the oil pan bolts, so long as the drain plug is accessible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I like gasket sealer as opposed to using the oil pan bolts, so long as the drain plug is accessible.
Yep, the drain plug is 100% accessible.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fins and Things Trail Moab 4x4 Adventure - mostly-stock JLUR 1638416756543

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Nice! I’m going to do the Easter Jeep Safari and sign up for the Sophmore package which includes this on day 3. Looking forward to doing it in my brand new JLUR!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, there's a thread buried around here about that Westin oil pan skid and the pan mount where it bolts to the skid broke off the Westin plate :(

Also that Westin plate has rather large holes that could get hung up as it's sliding over jagged rocks, not a great design IMO.

Sponsored

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500
Thanks; glad you liked it!
Fins is crazy-fun. But it IS rated a difficult in the FunTreks guide. If you haven't already, I would definitely do a number of moderates first. I did moderate trails for a lot of years in my Cherokees before doing my first Difficult in my JLUR. Practice with lines, tire placement, speed and throttle management on moderate stuff will make something like Fins easy.
But if you don't have those practiced skills... well, I watched somebody break an axle on Fins that day. There were some broken parts strewn about. Bad things can happen with driving mistakes there, even in an awesome JLU.
Oh, definitely! This is the first "difficult" rated trail I've got on my list, definitely not one I intend to cut my teeth on. I've got a healthy dose of fear and respect for Moab. *laughs* I see a lot of easy and moderate trails in my future before I go there.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
ASFIR skid fits that bill. And well priced. Just installed the kit on my 2.0.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
We did Fins and Things in 2010 when I had my JKR. I have always wanted to go back. I was new to Jeeping at that time so I found Fins and Things to be an adrenaline rush.

Thanks for the excellent video. :)

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
OP
OP
ColoradoMike