Sponsored

Finally Set to Tow

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Finally got the parts (COVID induced manufacturing delays) and on the schedule at the local shop (they have a four-week backlog) to get the Jeep set up for towing behind the motorhome. I'm used to pulling a 5th wheel and the amount of corner the trailer cuts. So I was really surprised at how well the Jeep tracks behind the RV. We went all Roadmaster, InvisiBrake, Nighthawk tow bar, Tow Defender rock guard and of course, base plate.

Desert season will really be fun now that we'll be able to go out and explore.
Jeep Wrangler JL Finally Set to Tow IMG_6800
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mattebury

DO your homework in regard to the battery related issues that guys/gals that TOAD a JL are running into.

IF your trips are more then a few hrs. you may have battery(s) depletion issues... actually you probably will have issues...

Anyway, do your homework on this, so you are not caught with your pants down so to speak.

Nice looking rig...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but the guys that installed this are way ahead of you. They added a dedicated charge line from the RV to the Jeep.
@mattebury

No, they are not a head of me, I'm very confident of that..

My post was just to encourage you to be sure you are aware of the issues with flat towing a JL...

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Nice setup! I’m curious, what’s the protocol for flat towing? Transfer case vs Transmission, etc..

Sponsored

OP
OP

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Nice setup! I’m curious, what’s the protocol for flat towing? Transfer case vs Transmission, etc..
There's a few more steps to follow per the owners manual, but basically put the transfer case in neutral, verify it's in neutral then go. The JLs have communication between the lights and the computers on board, to work around that, the shop builds a wiring harness that bypasses the car's wiring to the tail lights. So I have to flip a hidden toggle switch to the "tow" position to bypass the JLs wiring to make sure that the turn signal and brake lights illuminate appropriately.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
There's a few more steps to follow per the owners manual, but basically put the transfer case in neutral, verify it's in neutral then go. The JLs have communication between the lights and the computers on board, to work around that, the shop builds a wiring harness that bypasses the car's wiring to the tail lights. So I have to flip a hidden toggle switch to the "tow" position to bypass the JLs wiring to make sure that the turn signal and brake lights illuminate appropriately.
Man that sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing. Right now that’s what we’re planning to do in retirement.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
@mattebury

Do take time to do your homework as I said... Here is another thing that will bite you in the arse if you are not aware of same..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nt-shift-out-of-neutral-after-flat-tow.20298/
Thanks, shop told me about this one. It even did it while he was showing us how to hook and unhook. It happened both going into neutral and out of neutral. Turned the engine on, put it in gear, put it back in neutral, shut it back off and t-case slipped right into neutral, no problem. He said the other way to try it without turning the engine on would be to have a helper rock the jeep back and forth a few times. He also recommended not putting the t-case into neutral until after we hooked up to prevent the jeep from rolling away, which is also against what the manual says, and then when unhooking put the t-case back in gear before unhooking. To me that makes sense, the Jeep's not going anywhere while hooked up to the tow bar.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mattebury

With the JL, put transfer case in neutral, auto tranny in park and ignition in off position when flat towing...

I disagree with the leave transfer case engaged... that the guy told you.

IF needed use hand brake to keep JL, still lets say.

Hint: After hook up to the Class A, ......with JL's steering wheel straight,..... tie a bright red handkerchief to the top of the steering wheel and leave it there while TOADing.

The red hanky will allow you to view the steering wheel tracking ... you will see the hanky in your RV's rear camera view... IF hanky up top, TOAD is tracking straight backwards or forwards.

This can come in real handy in an emergency, etc..... I know they say best to avoid or never back up a while toad is attached but someday you maybe in a situation where you have no other choice... IF you tow alot, you will be faced with such a situation..

You can gently ease back .... b/u, a few feet as long as you can see the TOAD's steering wheel is straight and not tweaking the tow bar, etc..

Sponsored

OP
OP

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
@mattebury

I disagree with the leave transfer case engaged... that the guy told you.

Hint: After hook up to the Class A, ......with JL's steering wheel straight,..... tie a bright red handkerchief to the top of the steering wheel and leave it there while TOADing.
I must have mistyped, but he NEVER said leave the t-case in gear to tow, it's t-case in neutral and the transmission in park to tow, push button set to off.

Good idea on the handkerchief tied to the steering wheel. Not only can I see that in the rear view camera (will force me to keep the camera clean), but also reminds me when I walk around the rig that the Jeep is set to tow.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mattebury

Forgot to mention...

In your RV, DO, carry a decent set of old fashioned, quality battery jumper cables... No, not a fancy battery jumper box.. Can be very very difficult to jump a JL with a jump box...

Also, would be wise to carry a 5 amp battery tender / maintainer in the RV.. Can be used for the JL and RV when needed..

Also, do forum research about the 2dr. JL and the problem with the seats .... them folding forward and you then cannot drive the JL. No way would I travel without spare.....
Seat return insert for driver's seat Part # 68485519AA
Seat return insert for the pass seat Part #68485522AA

Dealerships often do not have or can't get for days/weeks...

IF you do not need the rear seat in the JL, do remove as it lightens the weight of the TOAD a bit and gives you more room in the TOAD.. the JL.

Sponsored