Sponsored

Finally got my Rubi! Now, I have questions.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Yes. Higher psi = less tire flex = less friction and the heat produced. The flipside of that coin is that less friction means less traction is available. Also, too much pressure will accelerate the wearing of the center of the tread, which will negate any added fuel economy gains by having to get new tires sooner.
Yup, all makes sense to me. I hear the sweet spot for the Jeep is 36psi. I've read so many posts about the manufacturer setting to 40+ and buyers setting to 36 before leaving the lot.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, all makes sense to me. I hear the sweet spot for the Jeep is 36psi. I've read so many posts about the manufacturer setting to 40+ and buyers setting to 36 before leaving the lot.
The sweet spot depends on tire construction and the weight of each individual Jeep. Most will run 36 because it doesn't trip the tpms warning. I found 32-33 to be my Jeep's sweet spot with the factory 285/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's. 30-31 when I swapped to 315/70-17 ko2's. When I went to 38x13.5 Milestar Patagonias, 30 felt best but that specific tire has a rounded tread from shoulder to shoulder and is designed to run at about 35 to avoid excessive wear and cupping. By the way, those 3 sets were all C-rated. I'm now on 40x13.5 Patagonias that I have at 32 due to their being D-rated and a bit stiffer. I've had a Tazer Mini from day one, so it allowed me to lower the tpms thresholds to 25psi.

A chalk test is your best bet bet to finding your Jeep's sweet spot.

kw2629

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I have a cold air intake on my '21 UR. The dealer told me the same thing about the vent, don't concern yourself. Also don't believe the MOPAR advertising about increased power, etc. What you do get is improved engine efficiency, which is hard to notice. If you want to increase performance, purchase the MOPAR Cat back exhaust. Engine runs about 25 degrees cooler.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
My 2018 2.0 Sport JLU got 23 mpg on the highway. It had the 3.43:1 gears. My 2021 2.0 JLR 2-door gets about 20 mpg. My assumptions are that the wider tires have more grip which means more resistance. They are heavier, too. The 4.10:1 gearing doesn’t help as the RPMs are 400 higher in top gear on the Highway. Additionally, the higher front fenders create more drag.
The combination of the wider tires, the lower gearing, and the high fenders make for lower fuel mileage. The added weight of the JLU is also something to consider.
Use your cruise control religiously as the computer is way better than your right foot when it comes to efficiency. The physical differences are not things you can overcome. Driving slower reduces drag and using the cruise control is amazing. Good luck!

Matthewraffai

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
They took advantage of you on the intake. I have the full mopar intake and i did cut out my hood. It isn’t hard at all because it gives you a pretty fool’s proof template to do it. I actually did notice a mpg increase!! I do have a custom mid pipe and exhaust though. I’m also running 4.56 gears on the lightest wheel and tire combo but i easily get 20 city and 30+ highway in AZ. I actually increased my mpg to just over 1.5 ish mpg after the install. I was never able to keep it over 18mpg in the city. After the hood cutout and intake i was in the high 18.5-19.0 range driving it spirited because of the added sound it makes more, but if drive normal i can not easily get 21-22mpg if i drive it normal. IAT will make a difference as well as it’s sealed pretty well and it’s plastic and doesn’t heat soak as easily as the metal ones. Also there’s so much heat under Jeeps hood this hood cutout really helps out on pulling cooler air in on long trips. The key is tomake it work exhaust, mid pipe etc and it will go up the more everything is working together. Intake alone is not worth it though.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
The Jeep crowd sure is different these days....................Buying a Jeep Wrangler and expecting good gas mileage........That's funny.
Sponsored