Crime scene remediation field supervisor
20200125_165053.jpg
20200123_170147.jpg
20200125_165022.jpg
20200125_165053.jpg
20200125_165234.jpg
20200125_182357.jpg
20200125_182405.jpg
My cams and pods have been sitting in their boxes for a couple months. Finally got around to route the wires and install. What do you guys/gals think?
20200123_170147.jpg
20200125_165022.jpg

20200125_182536.jpg
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Nice install

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Looks clean, can we get some more details in what you used etc?
I bought a 9", 4 channel color monitor from ebay along with 4 rear/front/side cameras. I installed the side cameras on the front fender flares, the front in the middle of grill and rear at the bottom of the rear bumper. I had to cut the back of the bumper so I could use the nut to hold the camera in place. For the monitor mounting, I pulled the rearview mirror and unbolted the mirror bracket. I wrapped the thin metal base from the monitor around the mirror bracket. I used a 3/4 bore bit through the base to give access for bolting it back to frame, since the the base was wrapped around and covering the bolt holes.For pods, I purchase 4" SS vision led pods with mictuning relay, wire harness. Hardest part was pulling all the wiring through the passenger side firewall. I installed the pod switch at the top of the cup holders. Used a dremel tool to cut away some of the plastic. Pretty easy. Hopefully made sense

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Looks great, any details you can share on the cameras? I am on the fence about the switch placement.... Too close to the cup holder for me.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Looks great, any details you can share on the cameras? I am on the fence about the switch placement.... Too close to the cup holder for me.
same here. i can see myself hitting the switch with a drink while putting it in the cup holder.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
That’s a lot of work that turned into a nice quality installation. Congrats!

I guess I am not understand how that screen is not blocking your forward vision though.

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The cameras are NOAUKA Waterproof IP68 Night Vision 170 Degree Car Rear View/Reversing/Reverse Camera Universal Color CMOS Imaging Chip Backup Parking HD Front View Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNM7GNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BiLlEbBRJTQ8R

They are actually pretty nice HD quality.

As for the toggle switch, it clicks toward the windshield to turn on the pods so cups can never accidentally flip the switch on.

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wait, you drive with that giant screen instead of a rear view mirror?
Yes the monitor has split view so I see more through the screen than i ever did through the mirror

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s a lot of work that turned into a nice quality installation. Congrats!

I guess I am not understand how that screen is not blocking your forward vision though.
Thank you. The monitor hangs a tiny bit lower than the bottom of the mirror. Also the front view camera can run constantly so the small area blocked by the monitor is shown in full HD;)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Unfortunately, my state requires actual mirrors and hasn't revised codes to allow cameras and monitors in place of them. NHTSA still requires mirrors for manufacturers, but there are no federal laws preventing altering NHTSA required equipment except local/state laws for required equipment.

My state also has a code that requires supplemental monitors to be placed in a specific location near the lower left of the windshield, if they obstruct any portion of the windshield.

I did read an article about manufacturers that may seek relief from these laws to install camera/monitor systems for better fuel economy. As typical cars get lower in aerodynamic drag, the exterior mirrors become more significant aerodynamic drag offenders.

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately, my state requires actual mirrors and hasn't revised codes to allow cameras and monitors in place of them. NHTSA still requires mirrors for manufacturers, but there are no federal laws preventing altering NHTSA required equipment except local/state laws for required equipment.

My state also has a code that requires supplemental monitors to be placed in a specific location near the lower left of the windshield, if they obstruct any portion of the windshield.

I did read an article about manufacturers that may seek relief from these laws to install camera/monitor systems for better fuel economy. As typical cars get lower in aerodynamic drag, the exterior mirrors become more significant aerodynamic drag offenders.
Oh I better check my local laws

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Actually I think illinois law states we only need side view mirrors, plus my spare tire obstructs my rear window. Hopefully the police accept my excuses;)

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Made my own mount and now the monitor sits well above where the rearview mirror sat. I'm
20200129_105001.jpg
20200129_105006.jpg
liking this setup a lot better and no view obstruction...
Sponsored