First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Effective in that they drummed up excitement. Ineffective in that they did not have any to deliver to customers for over a year. Putting them on the road is as important or even more so than buying ads and influencing auto writers
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, for what off-roading I do with my JLUR, which is hunting on mostly 2 track roads, I would have bought a Bronco if it had been available at the time I got my Jeep. It would better serve my on-road needs and do everything I need off-road easily. No offense to the dyed in the wool Jeepers.
Jeep already offered Grand Cherokee and Toyota the 4Runner. Before that there was Xterra and FJ-Cruiser.

Any of those would have given you what you need, drive better than a Bronco, and cost much less to buy and own.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I’d say Bronco’s marketing was very effective —albeit deceptive and even dishonest. The swaybar dislocate kool-aid the media has drank being the biggest proof of it.

However, the final execution and the vehicle launch itself were among the worst we’ve ever seen.
BEHOLD THE AWESOME POWER OF THE BRONCO SWAYBAR DISCO!!!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/amp38375948/2021-ford-bronco-vs-wrangler/

Guess this author wasn’t sold out to either FCA or Ford. I found the author rather fair. Better than the articles that Car and Driver writes where they just trash the Jeep so much that you’d think someone paid them under the table.
Why do we believe that magazine authors have sold out to either Ford or Jeep? I've seen this sentiment a lot lately. Why can't we believe that they are just reporting on their experiences? I haven't seen any critical comments about Jeep that aren't true based on my experience.

Competition improves the breed. We should love that Ford introduced the Bronco. Ask any 392 owner whether they'd be driving a V-8 today if not for the Bronco.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Effective in that they drummed up excitement. Ineffective in that they did not have any to deliver to customers for over a year. Putting them on the road is as important or even more so than buying ads and influencing auto writers
Given they launched essentially in the middle of a pandemic / lock down, I don't know that we can entirely blame them. I mean even boring cars that are several years into a production run are hard to find on a dealer lot right now.

There are shortage and supply problems all over the place. Xbox's, Playstations... heck, go look up how hard it is to find a Rolex these days. Their authorized dealers and mark ups make the worst car dealer ADMs look like charity.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We are splitting hairs here: in the auto industry, they like to separate marketing from the actual “launch.”

A vehicle launch usually encompasses short-term marketing, pre-production press releases, press events, pricing, production ramp up, dealer orders, allocations and distribution, during the initial 6 months or so. It is in this phase where most of Bronco’s problems occurred. The production problems extending well past the initial 6-month launch period, though.

At the same time, for better or worse, the way Ford was able to control and manipulate the flow of information, through computer generated videos, planned “leaks”, blacklisting independent outlets, etc., was unparalleled to my knowledge.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Given they launched essentially in the middle of a pandemic / lock down, I don't know that we can entirely blame them. I mean even boring cars that are several years into a production run are hard to find on a dealer lot right now.

There are shortage and supply problems all over the place. Xbox's, Playstations... heck, go look up how hard it is to find a Rolex these days. Their authorized dealers and mark ups make the worst car dealer ADMs look like charity.
Ford keeps saying that. Sorry, I don’t buy it.

Jeep and Ram had five product launches in the same period: TRX, Compass, Grand Cherokee L, Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer - they all went out like clockwork, without a glitch.

Ford’s own Mach-E, Bronco Sport, Lightning and Maverick launches were flawless in the same way Bronco’s wasn’t.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Auto magazines are always bitching about weight. Funny how none of them complains that Bronco weighs an entire cow more than a comparably equipped Wrangler.

Hello, I’m Tronco, the jumping cow. Look, I’m nimbler than a pregnant hippo. Mooooo!
Jeep Wrangler JL Finally a very neutral and fair enough Bronco vs Wrangler comparison 1638468155168

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
There are a couple of things going on that ought to be looked at. When a reviewer says Wrangler isnt as comfy and tight on the road, we get, " That's stupid! We love our solid axle!" "Unfair comparison! Jeeps are still better in the rocks!" Well, ok...but did the review say anything UNTRUE? Maybe that steering and comfort isnt as important to some folks as articulation, but it is to others, and it's not unfair to mention it.

It's not unfair or biased or stupid to mention mileage, safety, comfort, or cabin tech. If you choose to disregard any or all those points, cool...your call. Reliability vs resale value? Your choice. But a reviewer isnt an asshole for mentioning stuff you dont want to hear about.

Think about a review in R&T that trashed a 'Vette vs an F-150 because it cant carry sheets of drywall. No?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
The swaybar dislocate kool-aid the media has drank being the biggest proof of it.
When they were showing off that feature in Lucerne during the KOH a few of those Broncos almost flipped over when it was engaged.

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'm always a little mystified by people who find Wranglers uncomfortable or only marginally comfortable.

I'm a pretty big dude -- 6' 2" and 230 lbs -- and I love the JL's seats and driving position. I've driven mine for 17 hours straight (not recommended) with nary a pain or discomfort; just mental fatigue.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If Jeeps are so great :), why can't they put longer LCAs on Rubicons? Everyone and their dog knows they are .25" too short, and extending them largely corrects steering issues. The same issues that the road testers bring up as a major gripe every time. Jeep, are you listening? How much are you saving by making one size fit all?

[Although we would miss the fun of trying to apply 200 lbft of torque while lying under our Jeeps.]

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It was actually a fairly neutral review. For many the wrangler is an acquired taste. Mine drives reasonably well on the highway…I don’t think it wanders. My wife hates the way it drives on the highway….same Jeep, different opinions.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It was actually a fairly neutral review. For many the wrangler is an acquired taste. Mine drives reasonably well on the highway…I don’t think it wanders. My wife hates the way it drives on the highway….same Jeep, different opinions.
Randy, is it your JK that doesn't seem to wander? My JKs also steered/tracked much better than my JL.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Randy, is it your JK that doesn't seem to wander? My JKs also steered/tracked much better than my JL.
Mine too. I owned eight JKs before this JL: all of them tracked and steered better. Even the 2-doors on 35s!

And this was the best steering JL I was able to find!
Sponsored