Finally a smaller key fob

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The people complaining need to stop wearing skinny jeans. The fob fits my hand well. I only had problems with inadvertent key deployment.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I get that. But the consensus is that the existing fob is too big. Why put the fob in a case that makes it even bigger?
The fob in my Gibsonworks case fits fine in my pocket. Would I like a smaller fob? Sure, but this works for me.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The fob in my Gibsonworks case fits fine in my pocket. Would I like a smaller fob? Sure, but this works for me.
I like this point you make Mike in that I don't want to conflate two separate issues: one being I wish the fob was smaller, and the other being the undeniable truth that you could fit on a dime the people anything but very happy with Marc's work at Gibson @Blkjak , present company included.;)

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Someone else said it best. You can compare Gibson’s to fine boots, the other solutions so far to Crocs. They’ll do the same purpose, but only one of the choices will be on my feet or fobs.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I would like a smaller fob. I do have keyless entry so I never need my key. While if the key was the only thing in my pocket it would be fine. When you add another key, chapstick and a money clip then the left pocket gets full. Right pocket is already full with knife and phone.

I might try the Gibson in the short term but a new fob would be awesome.

Maxdady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon
Don't really care one way or another but here is a comparison of my wife's '17 GC Trail Hawk key and my JLUR key. Same functionality, just seems like JEEP made the JL fob chunky for the sake of chunkiness. lol

20190102_073118.jpg

20190102_073137.jpg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I added power locks to my sport. So I have a tiny extra fob. I wonder if I can program that into this ajt one so I have just one.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Don't really care one way or another but here is a comparison of my wife's '17 GC Trail Hawk key and my JLUR key. Same functionality, just seems like JEEP made the JL fob chunky for the sake of chunkiness. lol

20190102_073118.jpg

20190102_073137.jpg
But is it really all that different? Really? Yes, it is bulky. But for a vehicle made to be less than streamlined... for people to take off a beaten path... that often has more accessories than actual vehicle... it isn’t really a stretch. Frankly, I don’t even notice.

My wife has a CRV and has all sorts of charms and keys on her keychain. It’s a fistful of junk, so mine looks like a damn Miata compared to that ball of mess. I’m fairly sure shaving 1/4 of an inch off isn’t going to make any difference to the majority of owners. And frankly- a teeny keyfob would be detrimental to me. I’m usually wearing gloves or pulling them out of my Rush bag. I don’t want something that will get lost easily.

Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
For those with less than adequate strength to carry the fob, there is a holder for it in between the front cup holders. This allows you to more easily lock the key in the Jeep. But hey, if it really bothers you, you can place it there so you can take a break from lugging it around.

I personally don't see the issue, but ... I came from a mini, they had substantial FOBs as well.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
I have never clipped keys or anything to my waist until now.
The Gibson pouch is ultra comfortable, doesn't get in the way of my leather seats/belts, and can be used without looking at it!

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
My CJ-7 key compared to the keyfob on the used van I recently got. And the JL keyfob seems chunkier.

I have 4 vehicles and 4 persons in my household. 4 standard keys on a ring - no problem takes up little space. 4 keyfobs? Forget about it. And I can easily at low cost make copies of my standard keys for all members of my household or anyone else that might need a key.

Unfortunately the keyfob scenario while aiming to address certain issues introduces new issues.

Instead how about a vehicle entry and start button that uses a fingerprint scanner similar to a cell phone? That tech works well on my cell phone. You would not have to carry around or trade keyfobs with different users. Program 4 fingerprints into the vehicle and forget about it. Maybe something like that is already available on other new vehicles?

Keys.jpg