Sponsored

Finalizing a JL 2018 Build

Transmission for JL Rubicon on 35" 3.6L Pentastar stock lift and mild off-roading

• Total voters

nimbler

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hi All,

BACKGROUND
So I've been working on this 2018 JL Rubicon build (https://goo.gl/pEDi1S) for a while now, it's all coming together slowly, but I wanted to get an opinion from people other than those that are selling the vehicle to me.

I will not be going for hard-core rock-crawling: if the rock-crawler index of:
- the average urban driver was ~ 0%,
- the average 4wd camper was ~ 5%,
- and the hardcore crawlers on this forum were ~ 100%,
I would be starting off at around the 5% and working my way up to say 40-50% at most, at least in this 2-door.

I will stick with the JL, and forgo the luxury of space of the JLU - which means I'll have to become a better camper.

I will not invest in a lift and raise the already high center of mass of the vehicle. I will, however, put on 35" tires though.

I'm a total newb to Jeep/4WD/off-roading, I've only ever driven pieces of crap, or otherwise, lowered Japanese sports cars (Nissan Skyline R33).

QUESTION
With all that out of the way, I would like your advice/opinions.

I had initially settled firmly on the manual transmission. More control, way more fun. However, an expert that I've been talking had this to say (based on my memory of the conversation, not direct quote):

If it were any other Jeep (JK and older), I would recommend the manual, for all the reasons most Jeep enthusiasts argue that a manual is better. However, for the 2018 JL/JLU, I absolutely hands-down recommend the 8-speed automatic transmission. It outperforms the manual, and the human in charge of it, has an amazing crawl ratio, been tested in serious trucks for years, is trustworthy, easy to maintain, and other reasons I can't recall or did not fully understand when explained to me due to being a complete newb.

That being the case, would you still go for the 8-speed?
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you decide, you better decide now. Order banks close tomorrow.

With that said, I went with the 8 speed and absolutely love it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 8-speed auto has deeper (numerically higher) ratios all the way to 6th gear, and it has the torque converter multiplication that you get with automatics. Therefore, it will turn large tires more easily, it will tow better if you ever decide to pull a camper, it will get better real world fuel efficiency, and it will just simply feel better in day to day use.

It also has the ability to be semi-manually shifted. By that I mean that you can select any gear you want, but, the computer will often over-ride your desires. So, it's a half way awesome feature.

Resale value will be higher too. And, they work better offroad because you don't have to burn your clutch disc up trying to inch your way over obstacles.

850RFE all day every day.

(To be fair, I had a 2012 with the 6-speed manual and the Pentastar V6 as my last Wrangler, so I have a taste of both under my belt.)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I have the 8spd in my RAM and love it, so

I have the NEW 6spd in my RUBI because it's simpler, you can push start the jeep and actually the 6spd, wit a 5.13/1 1st gear gives the RUBY an 84/1 crawl ratio, the lowest jeep has ever issued--STOCK

Strictly a personal decision, same as getting a RUBICON, or not

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
IMO the 3.6 needs the 8 speed. It just makes such good use out of it. Really feels like it’s got more power than it actually has.

Test drove the 6 speed and it really feels like a dog down low. You gotta rev it up pretty high all the time and it just makes it feel slow all the way around.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Hi All,

BACKGROUND
So I've been working on this 2018 JL Rubicon build (https://goo.gl/pEDi1S) for a while now, it's all coming together slowly, but I wanted to get an opinion from people other than those that are selling the vehicle to me.

I will not be going for hard-core rock-crawling: if the rock-crawler index of:
- the average urban driver was ~ 0%,
- the average 4wd camper was ~ 5%,
- and the hardcore crawlers on this forum were ~ 100%,
I would be starting off at around the 5% and working my way up to say 40-50% at most, at least in this 2-door.

I will stick with the JL, and forgo the luxury of space of the JLU - which means I'll have to become a better camper.

I will not invest in a lift and raise the already high center of mass of the vehicle. I will, however, put on 35" tires though.

I'm a total newb to Jeep/4WD/off-roading, I've only ever driven pieces of crap, or otherwise, lowered Japanese sports cars (Nissan Skyline R33).

QUESTION
With all that out of the way, I would like your advice/opinions.

I had initially settled firmly on the manual transmission. More control, way more fun. However, an expert that I've been talking had this to say (based on my memory of the conversation, not direct quote):

If it were any other Jeep (JK and older), I would recommend the manual, for all the reasons most Jeep enthusiasts argue that a manual is better. However, for the 2018 JL/JLU, I absolutely hands-down recommend the 8-speed automatic transmission. It outperforms the manual, and the human in charge of it, has an amazing crawl ratio, been tested in serious trucks for years, is trustworthy, easy to maintain, and other reasons I can't recall or did not fully understand when explained to me due to being a complete newb.

That being the case, would you still go for the 8-speed?
I used to be a manual die hard, but the reality is the new autos are better in every objective way except possibly weight. But they give better acceleration, gas mileage, towing etc. I went auto and it's truly excellent.

Also, it's a lot easier off road. I don't know how anyone can say a manual provides more control, you can't stall an auto and it provides more control on steep hills. There's no real argument for a manual any more, other than it's fun to drive. I'll agree with that but you give up too much capability for it, imo. Prior to the latest 7+ speed autos and dual clutch transmissions I'd argue the opposite, but they've firmly and completely surpassed manuals now.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
After daily driving my 3.6L JKU Rubicon with a 6spd manual on both 35’s and 37’s and comparing it to my JLU Rubicon with the 3.6L and 8spd auto I’ll take the auto all day long. Sure the 6spd was fun to drive, but it sucked donkey ball in bumper to bumper traffic. Also having done trips through Colorado in my lifted JK on 35’s and JL on 37’s (both fully loaded with a family of 4 and everything needed for a two week road trip) I can say the JL handled the mountains much better than my JK ever did. Surprisingly I never felt at a loss for power in the JL.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you can't stall an auto
I’ll disagree with you there, I stalled my JL with an auto plenty of times in Moab last month. Every time I was climbing something and whacked the bottom hard enough it stalled out.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I’ll disagree with you there, I stalled my JL with an auto plenty of times in Moab last month. Every time I was climbing something and whacked the bottom hard enough it stalled out.
Huh?

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did I stutter on something? I thought I was pretty clear...

Off-road Jeep, smack underside on big f’ng rock, Jeep stalls out. I’ve got a video of it happening on Cliffhanger in Moab. Also not an issue isolated to the JL. I’ve had it happen on 3 different JK’s, 3.8, 3.6, auto or manual transmission.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray

Off-road Jeep, smack underside on big f’ng rock, Jeep stalls out. I’ve got a video of it happening on Cliffhanger in Moab. Also not an issue isolated to the JL. I’ve had it happen on 3 different JK’s, 3.8, 3.6, auto or manual transmission.
Just wondering how an auto "stalls"

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Heyyy...naw you didn't stutter...I think he's not sure why you would stall if you hit the bottom of your rig. TBH i said "huh" in my mind as well lol. Just not sure how that would cause a stall. It's all good...ty for the further explanation tho.

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
Manual, because the automatic should be a free option at this point in car history, and the extra 2k can go towards upgrades. Now if you want better resale choose an automatic. I went like @JIMBOX did a 2dr rubi with a manual.
Sponsored