First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yep, the hollow core stuff will eventually get drawn down so far into the gap that it becomes ineffective. I've heard of some using the .25 solid core, buteven though it won't compress like the .27 hollow stuff, its probably still too thin to provide much protection. I'm on the .38 solid core since November now and I'm still very pleased with the results and quality of the material. It has not so much as cracked or discolored in all this time!
Thanks, Iā€™m going to try this. The smaller diameter hollow tubing gets pinched and can easily get ā€œswallowed upā€ in the crack. Or once itā€™s become somewhat flattened from being perpetually compressed, it fits looser and can be blown out at prolonged highway speeds. I had that happen and when I stopped I noticed that it has mostly been blown out and was barely hanging on at one end. Almost lost it.

Iā€™ll try the solid core. Plus I think it looks better.
Sponsored

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Anybody try spacing the fender out?

I used the hollow core, and it's okay, but it is hard to get it in really straight and smooth. When I'm done it looks 'bumpy'. It's been in there for about a year now and works great - no more sand, pebbles, grit, etc., but it was getting pushed further and further into the crack over time. Just pulled it out yesterday.

Now I would like to just pull the fender off and put some spacers in there. I'm thinking some half inch spacers and the rocks will just fall through. I have taken my fenders off before, and I feel like I remember there being some reason why it I thought it wouldn't be as simples it seems.

Anyone have any insight?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Anybody try spacing the fender out?

I used the hollow core, and it's okay, but it is hard to get it in really straight and smooth. When I'm done it looks 'bumpy'. It's been in there for about a year now and works great - no more sand, pebbles, grit, etc., but it was getting pushed further and further into the crack over time. Just pulled it out yesterday.

Now I would like to just pull the fender off and put some spacers in there. I'm thinking some half inch spacers and the rocks will just fall through. I have taken my fenders off before, and I feel like I remember there being some reason why it I thought it wouldn't be as simples it seems.

Anyone have any insight?
Yep, see above posts where I too started out with the .25" hollow core. Like you I became displeased as it eventually crushes down so far into the gap that it stops doing its job and may become dislodged (that was the last straw for me). Switching to .38" solid core did the trick and it does a way better job of keeping debris out, staying put, and without looking all wavy and bumpy once installed. I've been on my same set now since November 2019 (almost 8 months as of this post) and it still looks as good as new. The hollow stuff only lasted me about 3 months before it became a useless and blew out (blessing in disguise).

-Fire B.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Best thing I ever did to keep debri out was get rid of the K02's. Those things throw rocks like it's going out of style. Crazy how few I have after a trail day now with my coopers even without the tubing in place.

And yeah, that hollow core stuff that pony tail man recommended is terrible. Mine kept falling into the fenders and then one day I hear this crazy slapping on the freeway as one was 3/4 of the way out. Threw it all away.

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Was set on using the tubing in my new Rubi but opted for Weathertec front splash guards. Havenā€™t had a pebble in my flares since.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I'm going to need some of that .38" solid core stuff myself.

What is the installation procedure? Just press it in with your fingers or do you use some sort of plastic spatula or spackling tool?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to need some of that .38" solid core stuff myself.

What is the installation procedure? Just press it in with your fingers or do you use some sort of plastic spatula or spackling tool?
I used fingers and a plastic trim tool to push it in evenly.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Got anything made of plastic or at least coated in something soft? Iā€™d hate to gouge the paint myself while removing rocks so that rocks donā€™t gouge the paint.
I use a Zip Tie

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Didnā€™t realize this happened. I have a lot of black caulk, so I reckon Iā€™ll be caulking it much like a few trim pieces on my Yukon thatā€™s held up well for a couple years now.

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
Didnā€™t realize this happened. I have a lot of black caulk, so I reckon Iā€™ll be caulking it much like a few trim pieces on my Yukon thatā€™s held up well for a couple years now.
Huh, Say what!? You are going to use caulk?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Huh, Say what!? You are going to use caulk?
Yup. Easy fix. Will definitely keep debris out. Itā€™s a simple pull, peel, and reapply if I need to replace the fender ever. Iā€™ve used black caulk on my Yukon with satisfying results, so it ainā€™t my first rodeo with it. šŸ˜‰
Sponsored