First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have been filling my DEF tank with the 2 1/2 gallon containers. This week I decided to fill my DEF tank at a truck stop, which I had never done before. The DEF fill nozzle fit into the the DEF filler neck OK, but the nozzel kept clicking off and would not allow the DEF to flow. After several attemps, I gave up and went to an automotive store and filled with a 2 1/2 gallon container.

I "think" the problem at the truck stop was that the DEF filler nozzle fit tight in the filler neck and would not allow air to vent therefore the DEF fill nozzle would keep shutting off.

I am wondering if I did something wrong or if anyone else has had this issue trying to fill DEF at a truck stop?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Didn’t do anything wrong, I’m not sure if all diesel have this but mine is a 22’ and noticed when I removed the hardtop I went to put away the bolts in the rear trunk storage section, if you lift up the plastic cover where you’d store your hardtop bolts etc by the jack there is a small black funnel which I believe is used for this sort of thing. Not sure if it’s intended for def or diesel as some truck stops have pumps with larger nozzle for diesel which don’t fit the JL, but you can’t use it for both! Never use the same funnel for diesel and def!

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Didn’t do anything wrong, I’m not sure if all diesel have this but mine is a 22’ and noticed when I removed the hardtop I went to put away the bolts in the rear trunk storage section, if you lift up the plastic cover where you’d store your hardtop bolts etc by the jack there is a small black funnel which I believe is used for this sort of thing. Not sure if it’s intended for def or diesel as some truck stops have pumps with larger nozzle for diesel which don’t fit the JL, but you can’t use it for both! Never use the same funnel for diesel and def!
The Mopar funnel shipped with the Jeep diesel is for the diesel fuel filler neck. It does not fit the DEF filler neck. :)

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I have used the truck stop 2x now with no issues. I stop pumping at the first click. So it sounds like an issue you may have had with the pump. I do use a fuel card for discounts that has me enter a control number like the trucks do. After I use that card I am prompted to select if I am buying diesel or def.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've only filled up at truck stops for the last 4 years. My '18 diesel Grand Cherokee would require an adapter for the DEF nozzle (tellers inside always have one to borrow). My '21 JLURD doesn't have or need the adapter and fills normally.

I'd guess maybe the truck stop you were at had issues with the pump you were using? I'd maybe try another truck stop next time you're close.

DEF is currently ~$5-$7/gallon in the 2.5 gallon boxes. $4.18/gallon at both truck stops nearby.

Sponsored

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Once I figured out how the local truck stop did it I had no problems. Biggest challenge was finding the DEF pump….

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
DEF at the truck stop pump is also usually fresh so you don't have to worry about spoilage.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
These issues can usually be solved by pulling the nozzle out a bit. Don't fully jam it in the filler all the way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
These issues can usually be solved by pulling the nozzle out a bit. Don't fully jam it in the filler all the way.
After fully inserting the nozzle I tried inserting the nozzle halfway and 1/4 way and it still shut off. I just don't see how there was a way for the air to escape as the DEF fluid went in. Next time I will try a different truck stop others seem to have better luck.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
After fully inserting the nozzle I tried inserting the nozzle halfway and 1/4 way and it still shut off. I just don't see how there was a way for the air to escape as the DEF fluid went in. Next time I will try a different truck stop others seem to have better luck.
Some truckstops have DEF nozzles setup with a misfill prevention device; you can read about it here.

https://spatco.com/shop/products/def-misfilling-prevention-device
MFPD.jpg

Your description in post #1 is a classic description of the Jeep not having the magnetic field required for that particular nozzle to operate properly. The item above will allow the flow of DEF to work with your vehicle.

Additionally....not all bulk DEF nozzles need the item above.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some truckstops have DEF nozzles setup with a misfill prevention device; you can read about it here.

https://spatco.com/shop/products/def-misfilling-prevention-device
Jeep Wrangler JL Filling DEF Tank at Truck Stop MFPD

Your description in post #1 is a classic description of the Jeep not having the magnetic field required for that particular nozzle to operate properly. The item above will allow the flow of DEF to work with your vehicle.

Additionally....not all bulk DEF nozzles need the item above.
That is interesting. The DEF Blue Magnetic Nozzle (21GU-0500) is expensive. Next time I need to refill my DEF, I will try a different fuel station.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
That is interesting. The DEF Blue Magnetic Nozzle (21GU-0500) is expensive. Next time I need to refill my DEF, I will try a different fuel station.
Additionally......some retailers will have the device above available for loan to you in order to fill your Jeep with DEF.