Sponsored

Fifth Gear says Wrangler sucks

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
That video makes me like Wranglers even more. Looked like fun. in fact look at their faces, they were having fun, especially the guy driving. Theyre Brits so you got to cut them some slack on knowing what fun is. Besides Ricky Gervais...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Fair enough, they pretty much admitted themselves that they "just don't get it!"

Plus 4 grown adults in a 2 door is never going to cut it so a bit of an unfair test anyway.

Us Brits are are a hard bunch to please ;)
well you do have that amazing 2020 Land rover Discovery

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
It's not worth wasting your time thinking about what they said.

5th gear is one of those shows in the UK that nobody really watches compared to Top Gear of old or the Grand Tour.

Some people just don't get Jeeps, and these are four of them.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You guys are being a bit defensive. They are right about what they said.

1) It's overpriced.
2) A 2 door is impractical in most cases.
3) It's just not very good at all on road.

Sponsored

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

1) It's overpriced.
Ok, they had some points to make. I can say the same about the Land Rover as well. They are higher priced but not as much as the Land Rover Discovery. Let me add some points to the Brits answer to the Jeep Wrangler:

1) Way overpriced
2) Not the best looking. Looks top heavy too.
3) Electrical issues
4) Overpriced
5) Too heavy
6) Did I mention it isn't very good looking?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
This is nothing new. Automotive reviewers have been shitting on the Wrangler for decades that is not a good vehicle for practical use and they aren't wrong. They're absolutely right that it's slow, noisy, drives like shit on the road, notoriously unreliable, and insanely overpriced. These people are looking at the Jeep from a non-enthusiast standpoint, but they ignore the one guy arguing its merits for off-roading because wheeling isn't nearly as big of a thing in the UK as it is here.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
This is nothing new. Automotive reviewers have been shitting on the Wrangler for decades that is not a good vehicle for practical use and they aren't wrong. They're absolutely right that it's slow, noisy, drives like shit on the road, notoriously unreliable, and insanely overpriced. These people are looking at the Jeep from a non-enthusiast standpoint, but they ignore the one guy arguing its merits for off-roading because wheeling isn't nearly as big of a thing in the UK as it is here.
I'm with you here. However, a good reviewer should be able to see that each vehicle is built to do a number of things, and judge/review them on how well they do those said things. You'd never put a Wrangler on a race track, for instance.

I would never expect a F350 dually to corner like a Ferrari, nor would I expect a Tesla (car) to tow a trailer.

JP18

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Based on the comments here - I downvoted without watching it :D
Doesn't hurt to watch and make your own opinion. Or not watch, I just think it is stupid to judge a 5 minute video based on others comments from people you have probably never met.

They called it uncomfortable - it is, especially in the backseat as an adult
They called it loud - it is
They called it underpowered - Until Jeep puts a Hemi in it, there will be powertrain complaints on this forum. And they had 4 adults in it.
They called it overpriced - look how many people on this forum complain about the price
They complained about the steering - look how many people on this forum have complained about the steering

Would the 4 door get a better review, maybe. But stuffing 4 adults into a 2 door makes for better TV. And at the end of the day, this was about entertainment.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Doesn't hurt to watch and make your own opinion. Or not watch, I just think it is stupid to judge a 5 minute video based on others comments from people you have probably never met..
I don't know, supporting click-bait, while wasting 5 minutes of my time, just to develop my own opinion on other people's opinion about a vehicle I already own seems pretty stupid to me. You might not think it hurts to watch, but I think it does. I wouldn't be surprised if they intended for this video to be controversial to get more views - I don't want to support that behavior.

I used to watch Fifth Gear quite a bit with Tiff, didn't know they were still around.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I don't know, supporting click-bait, while wasting 5 minutes of my time, just to develop my own opinion on other people's opinion about a vehicle I already own seems pretty stupid to me.
Not watching the video isn't stupid, but downvoting it based on the others comments here is. Which is exactly what you said you did.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

1) It's overpriced.

1. So are Land Rovers
  2. Who buys a 2-door Wrangler any more?
  3. That’s not true anymore. Unless of course you get one of those JLs with bad frame welds. Or one of those JLs with a bad steering box. Or one of those JLs with the tires inflated to 45 PSI by the dealer.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't hurt to watch and make your own opinion. Or not watch, I just think it is stupid to judge a 5 minute video based on others comments from people you have probably never met.

They called it uncomfortable - it is, especially in the backseat as an adult
They called it loud - it is
They called it underpowered - Until Jeep puts a Hemi in it, there will be powertrain complaints on this forum. And they had 4 adults in it.
They called it overpriced - look how many people on this forum complain about the price
They complained about the steering - look how many people on this forum have complained about the steering

Would the 4 door get a better review, maybe. But stuffing 4 adults into a 2 door makes for better TV. And at the end of the day, this was about entertainment.
Good points, but the problem is that most of the answers to the above questions are relative and subjective.
Sponsored