Sponsored

Fiat Diesel, lol don't do it.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
At a minimum, companies like Banks will be creating EPA compliant tunes that get rid of lag and add power/torque. If the Canadian garage tuners do enough volume with reliable success, I’m sure people will warm up to the idea of flashing the ECU on a $60,000 rig.
PDI is working on getting everything together to make EPA certified tunes. I'm sure others like Superchip will be making them as well since they have already been making EPA/CARB certified tunes for gas engines for sometime now and most likely have everything already needed in house.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Everyone seems to become a powertrain Nostradamus when new engines come along. Meanwhile there are multiple other threads discussing VM Motori 3.0 reliability.
I'd like to see some of those threads, because as a former owner of two VM diesel Jeeps who has followed it closely over the years, two things I've never seen in the same sentence are "VM Motori" and "reliability".

Guys, its 2020, engines are reliable!! Everyone said the 2.0T was going to grenade when driven and here they are... Happy 2.0T customer everywhere! The diesel is going to be the same if not better! I am going to get mine with a diesel as soon as i test drive one, hopefully it doesn't take to long for the dealerships to get them in!
Apparently you haven't been following the Ram 1500. Those EcoDiesels have been coming back to dealers with large mechanical issues at an alarming rate. There are some dealers that have discussed it in a long thread over at Allpar.

And as far as the 2.0LT goes, it's only been out 12 months! The issue was never short term reliability. The issue is long term reliability. That's where tiny, DI, FI, sophisticated engines always come back to bite people. They turn into money pits.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I'd like to see some of those threads, because as a former owner of two VM diesel Jeeps who has followed it closely over the years, two things I've never seen in the same sentence are "VM Motori" and "reliability”
My comment was in regards to the general topic of past 3.0 reliability...as in it has turned into a dead horse around here and there was no need for yet another thread on it. Hopefully FCA’s increasing stake in VMM over the years has yielded some resources and energy applied to solving known gen1/2 reliability issues with the gen3. We know they put a lot of work into efficiency, water fording, and emissions, but hopefully they dropped some coin into reliability at the same time. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I'd like to see some of those threads, because as a former owner of two VM diesel Jeeps who has followed it closely over the years, two things I've never seen in the same sentence are "VM Motori" and "reliability".

Apparently you haven't been following the Ram 1500. Those EcoDiesels have been coming back to dealers with large mechanical issues at an alarming rate. There are some dealers that have discussed it in a long thread over at Allpar.

And as far as the 2.0LT goes, it's only been out 12 months! The issue was never short term reliability. The issue is long term reliability. That's where tiny, DI, FI, sophisticated engines always come back to bite people. They turn into money pits.
So what are we supposed to do?? Drive 4Runners? Thats the only true reliable vehicle but its not as capable, fun or unique as a Jeep!! I sold mine because after i built it, the range was like 180 miles to empty and when i drove it to Moab it couldn't shift past the 3rd gear.. and all that for something thats not even as capable as a Jeep!

And before you say "V6".. That one seems to have the same reputation..

I think the issue is always about balance.. Something that can go half a million mile reliably is not going to be powerful, fun or capable.. and vice versa.. So it comes down to what we want! I personally cant see myself driving the same rig/car for more than 150K miles.. Is the diesel not going to make it that far without any major issue?? Who knows..

Sponsored

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
Also, those issues were with the Gen2 Diesel and not the Gen3 of which the Wrangler is getting an even more modified one.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
PDI is working on getting everything together to make EPA certified tunes. I'm sure others like Superchip will be making them as well since they have already been making EPA/CARB certified tunes for gas engines for sometime now and most likely have everything already needed in house.
Diesels are such a EPA hot button I am not sure anyone will be able to get certifications. It's just not financially feasible to spend the millions of dollars in certification costs and testing. This is why Diesels have left the NA market and give FCA credit for staying with it on the JL.

It's no longer simply an idle and wot test on rollers with a sniffer. It is full characterization over the entire temperature and load range of the engine over a sample size that represents >0.1% of the fleet size estimate. This is not a trivial task.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Diesels are such a EPA hot button I am not sure anyone will be able to get certifications. It's just not financially feasible to spend the millions of dollars in certification costs and testing. This is why Diesels have left the NA market and give FCA credit for staying with it on the JL.

It's no longer simply an idle and wot test on rollers with a sniffer. It is full characterization over the entire temperature and load range of the engine over a sample size that represents >0.1% of the fleet size estimate. This is not a trivial task.
No doubt it's expensive, but it doesn't cost millions and PPEI, which was one of the most popular ecodiesel tuners is already doing it.

"It can take anywhere from two months to a year to certify a product, but when it passes and receives a CARB E.O. number, we know that tune is approved for use anywhere in the U.S. We now have our own emissions-test equipment that helps us validate a product in-house before presenting it for certification," Jared says. "We’re proving that clean—and legal—tuning can be accomplished without having to be conservative about power gains. Our tuning for 6.6L Duramax LML engines adds nearly 130 hp.”

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1903-is-diesel-tuning-dead/

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
They’re seriously the first company to pull exhaust gases post-DPF? Seems like a common sense move when EGRs have such a poor reliability track record, partially related to how filthy the systems get.
No they are not the first, Caterpillar did this back in 2007 in their on highway truck engines.

JoyRider

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 1996 YJ
Interesting how the new EPA regulations rollback will play out in all this...

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I was under the impression that the changes related to CAFE targets only. I doubt you’ll see any changes to emissions targets or availability of tunes in the US.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon

what rollback, slight logical increase in economy, versus unrealistic increase. I say get rid of the EPA stds and allow customers to decide what they want, ie dont need Gov hacks deciding what I can buy.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
what rollback, slight logical increase in economy, versus unrealistic increase. I say get rid of the EPA stds and allow customers to decide what they want, ie dont need Gov hacks deciding what I can buy.
I don't share your opinion, but I'm glad that we live in a country where we can all speak our mind.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
so you dont like market principals, if we let hacks decide, at some point they regulate your Jeep out of existence , or fine/tax it out of existence to enforce what they think you should be driving, I say it is my money and some Gov hack in CA should not tell me options I have to choose from. now if the market rejects what I like, so be it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
so you dont like market principals, if we let hacks decide, at some point they regulate your Jeep out of existence , or fine/tax it out of existence to enforce what they think you should be driving, I say it is my money and some Gov hack in CA should not tell me options I have to choose from. now if the market rejects what I like, so be it.
Like I said, you have every right to your opinion, but please don't scold me for disagreeing with you. What is great about America is our democracy allows us to steer policy. Your vote counts the same as mine. Exercise it as you choose. But...don't be surprised (or bitter) when you find that most Americans want cleaner air and safer vehicles.
Sponsored