Sponsored

Fiat Chrysler Fired A Warning Shot To Its Workers Over Coronavirus Work Stoppages

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I haven't made it to the end of this discussion, but do you all know how much pay the UAW line workers were making while the plants were shut down? Well, to continue getting paid my normal wage for taking a long spring/summer vacation would make me not want to go back to work too!
Don't blame the UAW for high unemployment benefits, blame your state and federal governments. In Missouri, laid off workers received $320/wk plus an additional $600/wk via the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation. In addition, individuals received up to a $1,200 federal assistance payout.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The last known case of smallpox was in the 1970s and the last known case of Rinderpest was about 20 years ago. It is my understanding that samples of these viruses do exist in stockpiles (warfare and research use) But it is also my understanding that world medical groups label both viruses “eradicated.”

that said, I very much doubt that COVID will be eradicated. There may or may not even be an effective vaccine. Time will tell but we will most likely need to learn to live with COVID, in the wild, for a very long time (“forever”).

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
No the boneheaded move is a bunch of line workers that AREN'T doctors taking it upon themselves to walk off. They should all be written up and or lose their jobs. Again there is ZERO need unions these days. Well there is one use for them to protect workers that break rules, what a free lunch and want to work as little as possible for the most amount of money. Companies will use the best information they have and base their decisions on that. If you don't like the company, then leave. Walking off the job is stupid, childish and I am sure all those line workers would rather sit at home, do nothing and collect a pay check. Oh yeah you forget to mention the companies that actually did pay workers for not working when this first started. Lots of companies. UAW didn't do a thing to help their members be safe. They try to get their members paid while doing as little as possible. If they REALLY care they would deliver them groceries to their home, they would tell them not to leave their house, go to a bar, go to a restaurant, go to Lowe's during the shut down. I am confident all the VERY CONCERNED line workers did ALL of those things during the closure. Again they don't care about their health all that much.
Right on!! If you’re sick stay home. UAW is nothing but a leach.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nothing better to do?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Also it does not benefit FCA if their workers are sick. Sick worker means more downtime, hiring new workers means more training. Not to mention that due to COVID, we are in the grey area of litigation. Legal matters like negligence and strict liability will be tested to the utmost when things are settled down.
It doesn’t benefit FCA to have unhappy customers or incompetent dealers either. Yet it has more than its share of both.

You are trying to paint me like some sort of communist. I am not. I have been working as an independent consultant in the automotive industry for 30 years. I have been a loyal Chrysler customer for 30+ years, but I have never seen a disregard for customers and dealers like the last 10 years under FCA.

My issue is not with “big corporations,” it is with FCA. Unlike FCA, there are other automakers out there that understand that they have a responsibility towards their customers, their dealers and their employees.

Time after time FCA demonstrates that all it cares about is this quarter’s profits. That’s it. No other automaker delays or completely cancels product launches like FCA. No other automaker has been caught red-handed cheating on its sales reporting, month after month for one and half years, like FCA. No other automaker has been caught cozying up to, and outright bribing, union directors like FCA. No other automaker has sat at the bottom of the product quality, customer service, and dealer satisfaction studies, year after year, like FCA. And only one other automaker, VW, has been caught cheating on engine emissions more than FCA.

If FCA has shown little responsible behavior towards most of its stakeholders, how can you assume it gives a rats ass about its workers’ health? Just because that would be the “right” thing to do...? There’s little evidence that FCA cares about any of that.

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesn’t benefit FCA to have unhappy customers or incompetent dealers either. Yet it has more than its share of both.

You are trying to paint me like some sort of communist. I am not. I have been working as an independent consultant in the automotive industry for 30 years. I have been a loyal Chrysler customer for 30+ years, but I have never seen a disregard for customers and dealers like the last 10 years under FCA.

My issue is not with “big corporations,” it is with FCA. Unlike FCA, there are other automakers out there that understand that they have a responsibility towards their customers, their dealers and their employees.

Time after time FCA demonstrates that all it cares about is this quarter’s profits. That’s it. No other automaker delays or completely cancels product launches like FCA. No other automaker has been caught red-handed cheating on its sales reporting, month after month for one and half years, like FCA. No other automaker has been caught cozying up to, and outright bribing, union directors like FCA. No other automaker has sat at the bottom of the product quality, customer service, and dealer satisfaction studies, year after year, like FCA. And only one other automaker, VW, has been caught cheating on engine emissions more than FCA.

If FCA has shown little responsible behavior towards most of its stakeholders, how can you assume it gives a rats ass about its workers’ health? Just because that would be the “right” thing to do...? There’s little evidence that FCA cares about any of that.
They're all guilty of the same things, you know and so does everyone else. Your operative word above is "caught", so as long as your not caught you must them be squeaky clean...right?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In that case Aldo, for all the explanation and your bad experiences and strong negative sentiments against FCA, I have a question for you. Why are you owning a " 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara "?

It is clear that there are some serious conflicts and incompatibility that is going on with you in regards to this matter.
That’s a fair question. I ask myself that very same question regularly.

I was totally fed up with FCA and my local dealer to the point that dumped my JKUR Recon and bought a Toyota Tacoma. But I was back in a Wrangler within six months. Not because any love for FCA, but because Jeep Wrangler fits my needs unlike anything else. Wranglers are known to have have that power over some people, you know... ;)

So here I am, split between my love for Wranglers and my distrust of FCA.

PS - I took a very long time to shop for this JL because I wanted to make sure it didn’t give me any issues. I want to enjoy my Jeep and minimize my interactions with my dealer. So far so good. But I take it one day at time.

PS2 - I used to spend thousands of dollars on Mopar parts and accessories modding my Jeeps. But I got burnt and learned my lesson so I am keeping this one stock until the warranty runs out.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
In that case Aldo, for all the explanation and your bad experiences and strong negative sentiments against FCA, I have a question for you. Why are you owning a " 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara "?

It is clear that there are some serious conflicts and incompatibility that is going on with you in regards to this matter.
Don’t engage with the troll.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bro, that was some serious case of cognitive dissonance that you are going through. I am sorry that you are in a constant battle on this matter between Jeep and your conscience. I totally understand how you feel. I think it is best to just keep the matter simple and not worry about it too much. I can see that you do love your Jeep and all the tangibles and intangibles attributes associated with it. Just enjoy that spiffy Jeep because I think that you derived more utility of having this Jeep than the disappointing FCA history.

I have good relationship with my Jeep service department. I think it is important that when it comes to service department, especially when you came across a group that is friendly and efficient, it is best to have a positive mindset and maintain good relationship. I think that post purchase activities - ie the service department can be a hit and miss (just like some human being) and once you get a good one - stick to it. And I hope that your reservation with FCA does not stop you from these relationship opportunities that will mutually benefit both of you.

Again, I learned that as I am getting older, there are just way too many things in life that is not worth agonizing about (now if I know this when I was 25...) You have really nice Sahara (I always wanted the silver trims on the grills) and the feeling and benefits that you get from your Jeep is all that matter.

Big hugs! :like:
Thanks man.

I had an excellent relationship with my Jeep dealer in California. So I know how invaluable it is to have a dealer you can trust. But it’s a totally different story out here. Perhaps it is because there’s so much competition in Southern California that they had to try harder.

Plus I work in the automotive industry. I am immersed in industry stuff day in and day out. It is hard to keep things separate when you know what each automaker is doing.

But we are hijacking this thread.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That’s a fair question. I ask myself that very same question regularly.

I was totally fed up with FCA and my local dealer to the point that dumped my JKUR Recon and bought a Toyota Tacoma. But I was back in a Wrangler within six months. Not because any love for FCA, but because Jeep Wrangler fits my needs unlike anything else. Wranglers are known to have have that power over some people, you know... ;)
You are not alone here.

I owned 3 JKs that each had serious issues all before 10,000 miles. Between electrical systems, engine problems, bad throw-out bearings, plastic breakage, and generally poor build quality along with horrid dealerships that would decline warranty service just because you scratched a skidplate, I was content to end buying future Wranglers and actually go backwards. I was going to throw in the towel and find a TJ to work on, even if it was in disastrous shape, because I knew Chrysler certainly built them better back then.

But then the JL came out and I just couldn't resist. God damn Wranglers are fucking heroin.

Crazy thing is, my JL has had virtually no problems. I'm over 40,000 miles and all I've fixed is a busted plastic seat latch and a leaky shock (and that's technically Fox's fault, not FCA's). My Jeep has been incredibly reliable which defies the laws of physics and reality as we know it. It's statistically impossible for a modern FCA product to last this long without a critical issue and yet here we are. Of course, we're living in bizarro world as it is and perhaps my very Jeep is just another sign this is all a simulation!

imwazn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Letsgetchecked.com claims "assay is specific to SARS-CoV-2 and amplifies two conserved regions of the ORF1ab gene and is 100% specific to SARS-CoV-2. "....in response to the question: Can your test distinguish between the coronavirus that causes the common cold and actual COVID-19 (SARS-COV 2)?

Now...Abbott labs and this entity both claim high percentages of accuracy....and yet CDC still has the disclaimer on their site. Considering Abbott has 5 different tests and will only give accuracy percentages on ONE, it calls into question not only their accuracy testing methodology, but their integrity as well since repeated, directed questions about the other four haven't been answered.

Couple that with the question of who is doing the accuracy assessments and are the results independently being corroborated?
PCR tests are being widely administered by almost every man that can handle it at the moment. Basically any lab or university that has the ability to do it has been doing it. Some of the commercial assays being used are just as accurate as PCR but offer less detailed information. Not all of these are created equally hence the disclaimer.

Is there an issue with certain test methods? Absolutely. But that comes with the territory of our administration demanding testing without any oversight and waiving secondary validation. Faster testing was demanded at the cost of accuracy. You can't have it both ways without a lot more time and effort.

Inaccurate testing heads to a lot of individual problems but it still gives a fairly accurate global view of the problem. You can't dismiss the situation because there may a small amount of error in the data. That works be ridiculous.
Sponsored