Sponsored

Fiat Chrysler Fired A Warning Shot To Its Workers Over Coronavirus Work Stoppages

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No need to pound your chest.

Once again, according to the Automotive News article the stops were NOT just out of solidarity, as Jalopnik reported. The production stops were due to real health concerns.
Not pounding anything, just calling it how I see it!!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever...

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No need to pound your chest.

Once again, according to the Automotive News article the stops were NOT just out of solidarity, as Jalopnik reported. The production stops were due to real health concerns.
If they were stopped out of health concerns it should’ve been done at the corporate level not on the floor of the assembly line

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If they were stopped out of health concerns it should’ve been done at the corporate level not on the floor of the assembly line
Once again...when the virus first started, it was the UAW, not management, who pushed for production to stop before things got out of control. And thank God they did. It proved the right thing to do.

If I were a line worker, I would likely have little reason to believe that FCA has my health and my family’s best interest at heart.

No doubt management is feeling profit pressures. But for better or worse, the Big 3 are bound to their hourly workers through very specific contracts. The way to resolve these issues, particularly in abnormal times like these, is by approaching the UAW with the issue. Writing a letter that sounds like dome sort of a threat was a boneheaded move.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
No the boneheaded move is a bunch of line workers that AREN'T doctors taking it upon themselves to walk off. They should all be written up and or lose their jobs. Again there is ZERO need unions these days. Well there is one use for them to protect workers that break rules, what a free lunch and want to work as little as possible for the most amount of money. Companies will use the best information they have and base their decisions on that. If you don't like the company, then leave. Walking off the job is stupid, childish and I am sure all those line workers would rather sit at home, do nothing and collect a pay check. Oh yeah you forget to mention the companies that actually did pay workers for not working when this first started. Lots of companies. UAW didn't do a thing to help their members be safe. They try to get their members paid while doing as little as possible. If they REALLY care they would deliver them groceries to their home, they would tell them not to leave their house, go to a bar, go to a restaurant, go to Lowe's during the shut down. I am confident all the VERY CONCERNED line workers did ALL of those things during the closure. Again they don't care about their health all that much.

Sponsored

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
According to Automotive News

"Last week, employees at Fiat Chrysler’s Jefferson North plant in Detroit briefly refused to work because they believed one of their co-workers had the virus. The worker later tested negative. On June 27, staff at Fiat Chrysler’s truck plant in Sterling Heights, Mich., halted production out of concern their stations had not been properly sanitized after a worker was sent home to be tested.
The UAW is pushing for companies to enhance health and safety protocols and address concerns of its members, Brian Rothenberg, a spokesman for the union, said after last week’s incidents."

This sounds to me that the production stops were due to health concerns, which is different from how Jalopnic apparently reported it.

Granted, some workers may have been a bit nervous, but given the situation who can blame them?

Also, let's not forget it was the UAW who went to the Big 3 to consider shutting down production at the start of the pandemic. If it had been up to management, they would have kept on going until things got really out of control.
I haven't made it to the end of this discussion, but do you all know how much pay the UAW line workers were making while the plants were shut down? Well, to continue getting paid my normal wage for taking a long spring/summer vacation would make me not want to go back to work too!
Also, I'm sure all the automakers have similarly stringent protocols for allowing anybody in the buildings, like thermal cameras, daily health questionnaires, facemasks, safety glasses, social distancing guidelines, physical barriers, sanitizing schedules... Etc. It would be difficult to catch the bug if you were just being cautious yourself.
As long as the employer quickly followed up with sanitizing tools or equipment in an area where an employee may have been contagious, keep the line rolling so the other employees, suppliers, and all the other related links in the chain can keep working and getting paid.

imwazn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Meh...the real problem is testing. You can't know where you're going or where you're at without understanding how many are or have been infected....and here we are, arguably 6 months in....with no real valid testing.

Why do I say that? B/c just the other day, CDC released this gem:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

From the link:

What do your results mean?
If you test positive

• A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.
And that means the tests cannot distinguish between the common cold coronavirus and SARS-COV2, aka COVID-19 which also means all the stats they're spouting are meaningless.
That's just antibody testing though. There are other forms of covid tests that are much more accurate and valid. It's just that antibody testing are the cheapest. If you want a global view of the disease then this it is fine.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
That's correct. Coronavirus is one of the main ones responsible for the common cold (again, verified on CDC's site)....which means a permanent vaccine or even one with decent efficacy is unlikely since we've been trying unsuccessfully for exactly that for the last 50+ years.

People who think we can just shutdown until a vaccine is "ready" are being overly optimistic.
Add to that, in all of human history, mankind has never eradicated a virus ... never.

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Add to that, in all of human history, mankind has never eradicated a virus ... never.
Yeah, I'm still waiting to see how this plan to apparently quarantine 7.8 billion people and 130 billion other mammals (since animals can spread this, too) is going to work.
Sponsored