Fiat and Jeep Named “Worst” Car Brands

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
For each Liberty that gives you 100K miles without trouble there is also a Liberty that is just f^&ked up! My Liberty blew its auto transmission at 700 miles and it took two months of fighting Chrysler to get them to replace it. I finally traded it in at 3 years 3 months because the ignition kept shutting down without a known cause. Diagnosis was 'perhaps' a bad computer chip (sound familiar?) and replacement without guaranteed fix was over $1k.
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.

Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Or
Bad PR = FCA relying more heavily on Jeep to bail out their incompetence = Jeep price hikes

I wish Fiat would sell Jeep and leave the US auto market, again
Fiat really isn't the problem in your scenario. Don't pretend like Jeep was a mega reliable brand before 2014 when Fiat completed its acquisition of Chrysler. Even back in 2013, Jeep was ranked 6th worst on this list.

Could FCA wake up and start changing their philosophies to in turn make better vehicles? Yes, but none of the former Jeep owners ever cared either. I personally dont see a position change until Jeep gets scooped up by someone better.

The problem is that we have never had a parent company that cares about quality, like Toyota, Honda, or Audi. Those three are currently in the upper echelon and have been for years.

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Fiat really isn't the problem in your scenario. Don't pretend like Jeep was a mega reliable brand before 2014 when Fiat completed its acquisition of Chrysler. Even back in 2013, Jeep was ranked 6th worst on this list.

Could FCA wake up and start changing their philosophies to in turn make better vehicles? Yes, but none of the former Jeep owners ever cared either. I personally dont see a position change until Jeep gets scooped up by someone better.

The problem is that we have never had a parent company that cares about quality, like Toyota, Honda, or Audi. Those three are currently in the upper echelon and have been for years.
The Chinese are trying to by Jeep, what does that say about the future of Jeep Brand?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
It seems like Jeep has always been owned by someone who couldn’t really afford to be in the auto manufacturing business.

However, I suspect that’s a blessing for those of us who love Wranglers. My supposition is that the only reason Jeep has continued to design in the qualities that so endear the Wrangler to its fans, is that the parent company desperately needs Jeep to make money.

If Ford owned Jeep, they wouldn’t care as much, and the Wrangler might just be another CUV by now.

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Consumer Reports is on par with National Enquirer...

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
^^That^^
Before ordering my V6 Mustang I stopped by a Ford dealer in my area, who only had an Ecoboost Mustang available for test drives : It just felt like a glorified Focus. The drive was fun, but God the feeling of that engine well, was missing. Definitely a nice engine, but I personnaly think you need the 6 or 8 sensation in these American icons. When you need to enhance the sound of your engine through some plugin in your sound system, it says a lot about how confident Ford was about that engine...
Yeah, that ecoboost 2.3 has great power and torque, but the V6 sounds nicer.

I almost wanted a V6 Mustang for a second, and noticed they have a top speed in the 110-120mph range? Apparently the fisher-price driveshaft is the weak link on those things.

"I've got 300hp... but the driveline limits it to 110mph" lol

Few 4 cylinders really sound good. A Pentastar Wrangler, perhaps with future exhaust upgrades, should sound good. No 2.0T for me, for several reasons.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The Chinese are trying to by Jeep, what does that say about the future of Jeep Brand?
Geely resurrected Volvo VERY quickly. The infusion of cash from China made Volvos better in every way. All the design and engineering is still in Sweden, too.

When/if a Chinese company buys Jeep, all indications are that it will improve the brand significantly. Unlike FCA, it's doubtful Chinese owners would be relying on Jeep to provide cash flow for other floundering brands; they already have cash, what they want most is to grow their brand. That can only happen by improving the product lineup.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Geely resurrected Volvo VERY quickly. The infusion of cash from China made Volvos better in every way. All the design and engineering is still in Sweden, too.

When/if a Chinese company buys Jeep, all indications are that it will improve the brand significantly.
I hate chinese business but I'd MUCH rather have the east owning Jeep than Italy...

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Yeah, that ecoboost 2.3 has great power and torque, but the V6 sounds nicer.

I almost wanted a V6 Mustang for a second, and noticed they have a top speed in the 110-120mph range? Apparently the fisher-price driveshaft is the weak link on those things.

"I've got 300hp... but the driveline limits it to 110mph" lol

Few 4 cylinders really sound good. A Pentastar Wrangler, perhaps with future exhaust upgrades, should sound good. No 2.0T for me, for several reasons.
112 for the V6 Mustang is really sad. According to C&D the 2014 Ecoboost Mustang was governor limited to 149 MPH, and the Coyote V8 was limited to 164. Much better options, although you'd be crazy to take either near its top speed on a public road.

Do agree on the sound. The 2.0T in our VW CC sounded o.k., the 2.0T in our BMW X1 was really smooth and punchy for that small of a CUV but did have an agricultural sound to it. The 0-60 time of 6.1 seconds was quite surprising to a lot of first time passengers in that X1...good times.

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Consumer Reports named the 10 worst car brands of 2018. FCA had a rough year: #1 Fiat, #2 Jeep, #4 Alfa Romeo, #8 Dodge, and #9 Ram on the list of 10 worst.

So specifically which Jeep model do you think is weighing the Jeep brand down? Surely it can’t be our JLs! Right?!
I'm thinking it's the Patriot ;) (no offense)
Sponsored