Fiat and Jeep Named “Worst” Car Brands

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Consumer Reports named the 10 worst car brands of 2018. FCA had a rough year: #1 Fiat, #2 Jeep, #4 Alfa Romeo, #8 Dodge, and #9 Ram on the list of 10 worst.

So specifically which Jeep model do you think is weighing the Jeep brand down? Surely it can’t be our JLs! Right?!
Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
I wouldn't worry about it. Consumer reports has to use strictly objective criteria, and therefore only has real world statistics to work with. Many statistics are poor for the wrangler, of that there can be no doubt. Gas mileage, crash ratings, etc. But most jeep buyers are not as interested in stat based criteria as much as the sheer capability of the automobile. That's harder to measure, and it's beyond the general consumers that read consumer reports.

How is the statistic measured that you can help your family or neighbor get to the hospital in an emergency in a snowstorm? Or push a burning vehicle off the road like the Jeep head just did recently? Or come to the rescue of thousands of stranded residents like in the recent hurricanes? Or literally go anywhere you want in a vehicle? How about the awesome feel of driving one?

Those qualities aren't easily measured, but Jeep has them more than any other vehicle out there. Consumer reports be damned.

Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
So specifically which Jeep model do you think is weighing the Jeep brand down? Surely it can’t be our JLs! Right?!
It's not even a particular model. One would have to live under a rock to not know about FCA quality. As you highlighted yourself, it is not a coincidence that 80+% of the holdings under the FCA umbrella stumble in ratings.

I wouldn't worry about it. Consumer reports has to use strictly objective criteria, and therefore only has real world statistics to work with. Many statistics are poor for the wrangler, of that there can be no doubt.
Per the USA today article I read: link
"Fiat Chrysler spokesman Berj Alexanian said there's a disconnect between what customers want and how Consumer Reports rates its vehicles. He said that in the case of the outgoing Jeep Wrangler, Consumer Reports gave it a low score even as customers clamored for it. "At the end of the day, we serve our customers," he said."

We all love our Jeeps, albeit they have regularly been in this top ten list. It is unfortunate, but I agree that CR's ratings aren't really in line with how WE rate Jeeps.

Last edited:

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
True. It's sad that Jeep has to be judged by models other than the wrangler. I wish some American billionaire would just buy Jeep out from under Fiat at a premium, and go full on American Jeep with the company. You can still have models other than wrangler. The Grand Cherokee is a nice road SUV. But there's no reason the Compass should ever have existed.

Sponsored

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Wind noise??? My 2013 Dodge was louder on the interstate when it came to wind noise....suck Consumer.....shit who were they again?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Wind noise??? My 2013 Dodge was louder on the interstate when it came to wind noise....suck Consumer.....shit who were they again?
Oh don't worry, Dodge is owned by Fiat/Chrysler and not far behind in the ratings!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If you've ever driven a Jeep Liberty, you'd probably say #2 on the "worst brand" list was being generous.
I had a Liberty for 14 years. 195,000 miles and no major breakdowns. It may have been an exception to the rule, but if that deer had not ran out in front of me, I’d still be driving it and wouldn’t have been an early adopter of the JL. With that said...I sure do like my JLUR.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Consumer Reports named the 10 worst car brands of 2018. FCA had a rough year: #1 Fiat, #2 Jeep, #4 Alfa Romeo, #8 Dodge, and #9 Ram on the list of 10 worst.

This is great. Bad PR = Less demand = Prices under $70k.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
This is great. Bad PR = Less demand = Prices under $70k.
Or
Bad PR = FCA relying more heavily on Jeep to bail out their incompetence = Jeep price hikes

I wish Fiat would sell Jeep and leave the US auto market, again
Sponsored