Sponsored

Few Questions on Ordering

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Sorry all, but this will be the first time I have ever ordered a vehicle. So, I'm not sure how it works. I've searched around & just didn't find what I was looking for. But, my main concern is over the deal. I'm good on a deposit, just dont understand what comes next.

So, either I don't fully understand or the dealer I have been working with is giving me some weird or wrong info. So, I would like to ask those of you who have ordered one, how is the deal done?

Dealer gave me an ok price below invoice for me to order, then a few days later stated that if the price went up after ordering, I would be paying the new price & we would deal on that once the Jeep got here. So I asked them why did you make me this offer below invoice, but tell me a deal is not made until the Jeep gets here?

They mentioned the possible increase & some, well what sounded like double talk.

Does this sound right, it doesn't sound right to me. Now, if their offer is, say 5% below invoice the day I order, but their not going to sign a deal until the Jeep arrives, what is to stop the dealer from changing their mind on the 5% below invoice offer?

I can understand if there is a price increase, but not signing a deal at the time my order is placed, just doesn't sound right. I would expect that we would agree on the 5% below invoice & sign that deal.

So, just how is a deal made with the dealer on a sold order?

Any help would greatly appreciated. As I want to get a JLUR with the 3.6L & a few options & looking to find out what happens once I agree to pay the deposit & order the Jeep. Because, I don't want to get suckered.
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I would find another dealer. Should have a agreed on price and both parties sign a purchase order. I would bet they will jack up the price some when it comes in.

chuckmcleod

First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2015 JKU, 2007 JKR & 1998 TJ
Occupation
USAF
Sorry all, but this will be the first time I have ever ordered a vehicle. So, I'm not sure how it works. I've searched around & just didn't find what I was looking for. But, my main concern is over the deal. I'm good on a deposit, just dont understand what comes next.

So, either I don't fully understand or the dealer I have been working with is giving me some weird or wrong info. So, I would like to ask those of you who have ordered one, how is the deal done?

Dealer gave me an ok price below invoice for me to order, then a few days later stated that if the price went up after ordering, I would be paying the new price & we would deal on that once the Jeep got here. So I asked them why did you make me this offer below invoice, but tell me a deal is not made until the Jeep gets here?

They mentioned the possible increase & some, well what sounded like double talk.

Does this sound right, it doesn't sound right to me. Now, if their offer is, say 5% below invoice the day I order, but their not going to sign a deal until the Jeep arrives, what is to stop the dealer from changing their mind on the 5% below invoice offer?

I can understand if there is a price increase, but not signing a deal at the time my order is placed, just doesn't sound right. I would expect that we would agree on the 5% below invoice & sign that deal.

Any help would greatly appreciated. As I want to get a JLUR with the 3.6L & a few options & looking to find out what happens once I agree to pay the deposit & order the Jeep. Because, I don't want to get suckered.
I agree with UKATS, find another dealer. Once you place the order & deposit, they are custom building a jeep for you...no reason or justification for the price to change. I had an angel of a dealer that allowed me to order another jeep when I realized that my original order didn't include everything that I wanted. They didn't keep my deposit but instead decided to try to sell the first jeep I ordered on their lot and allowed me to order what I originally meant to order with the only price increase being the additional upgrades I asked for.

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Good awareness.

If you’re putting down a deposit, you should have an agreed upon price. Leverage is in the radius you’ll travel.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Your buying price should not change from when you ordered. The agreed price is the price. Personally I would buy else where.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would find another dealer. Should have a agreed on price and both parties sign a purchase order. I would bet they will jack up the price some when it comes in.
Agree, find another dealer with a solid reputation on the forum. Sounds like they want to jack the price. They sound like a dealer that might sell it to someone else who is willing to pay more.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the contract you sign on order, does it say if the factory changes the price to the dealer after ordering but before delivery they have the right to pass some or all of the increase to you? If Jeep raises the price to the dealer during the build I feel he has the right to increase the price to the customer. There is a thread on the forum that lists the monthly invoice and retail prices for the JL and all options so you can see if prices really go up. But as fast as they are building them now probably low chance of price increase.

You can check with another dealer and ask them what their policy is in that situation.

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Oh yes, I didn't agree to anything. Told them, I'm going to wait for now & maybe order next month.

I knew it sounded a little shady. Thank y'all for the responses. I definitely appreciate any & all advise on what to expect when ordering.

Last edited:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

I believe I know the Dealer your talking about they wouldn't agree on the price until it came in except 5% below invoice and wanted a deposit along with a $499.00 Doc fee . I told them hell no at Freeland and ordered mine from another Dealer !

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Viper, 15' Hellcat Challenger, 18' SRT Durango, 13' SRT Charger
When an order is officially placed the MSRP/Invoice shouldn't change ever. If Destination is raised in price it affects all future orders placed even if the car hasn't shipped yet. When package prices change once again all existing orders are grandfathered. If the dealer offers 5% below invoice then it's 5% below invoice regardless of price changes anyway. Just sounds like games and I would walk. All the cars I get from my dealer we lock in a price at order. The only change would be rebates if applied.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
#1 for me...
It isn't Freeland, but dont worry, I definitely walked. But, your are on point as to what they did.

Cubeman...
That's some real good info to know. Thank you sir.

Yep, I'm going to try another dealer here in the area hopefully before the end of April if all goes according to plan.

Seriously thinking of going out of state & seeing if I can't get some of these 7+% discounts I keep seeing. But, I'm a little leery of flying somewhere & then the dealer trying to change the deal on me when I get there. I'm stubborn enough to walk. But, would hate to waste a round trip flight.

Thanks everyone!

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
#1 for me...
It isn't Freeland, but dont worry, I definitely walked. But, your are on point as to what they did.

Cubeman...
That's some real good info to know. Thank you sir.

Yep, I'm going to try another dealer here in the area hopefully before the end of April if all goes according to plan.

Seriously thinking of going out of state & seeing if I can't get some of these 7+% discounts I keep seeing. But, I'm a little leery of flying somewhere & then the dealer trying to change the deal on me when I get there. I'm stubborn enough to walk. But, would hate to waste a round trip flight.

Thanks everyone!
Not sure what part of TN you are in, but I couldn't find any dealer close by that would give me a good price.
I tried the dealer in Marrietta, GA because there were good things about them on the forum. They basically told me what that dealer told you, and also said that Tread Lightly discount was no longer offered.

I contacted Travis Reynolds @ Tricity in NC. There was no bs they gave me 3 different prices. 5% under invoice, an additional 1% if I finance with them, and another 1% if I use tread lightly. It's a little bit of a haul for me, but prefer the way they didn't ba me. And their dealer fee is only $350, not the typical 500 to 600 around here.
I ordered last Saturday, gave me von right away. Got vin on Tuesday. Now I'm just impatiently waiting.

OP
OP
Chief_Dan

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Thanks Sting Ray Rubi,

There are a bunch of dealerships here where I'm at, but only 1 with the Customer 1st award & I plan on going there next/last. I have been to all the other close by dealerships & have either gotten some double talk or they just acted like they didn't want me to order & kept pushing JLURs on the their lot, which is fine, but all are 2.0L turbos (I want the 3.6) & most have some options that I dont want (sorry guys I'm set on the 3.6). So, hopefully this last one will make a deal with me. If not, thanks for the NC dealership info, I may just have to contact them.

Long haul across TN to NC & back. But, I wouldn't mind a nice roadtrip if I'm treated nice & fairly.

Thanks again!

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Sting Ray Rubi,

There are a bunch of dealerships here where I'm at, but only 1 with the Customer 1st award & I plan on going there next/last. I have been to all the other close by dealerships & have either gotten some double talk or they just acted like they didn't want me to order & kept pushing JLURs on the their lot, which is fine, but all are 2.0L turbos (I want the 3.6) & most have some options that I dont want (sorry guys I'm set on the 3.6). So, hopefully this last one will make a deal with me. If not, thanks for the NC dealership info, I may just have to contact them.

Long haul across TN to NC & back. But, I wouldn't mind a nice roadtrip if I'm treated nice & fairly.

Thanks again!
Yeah, that's how I felt. And I agree on the 3.6. That's main reason I ordered as well. I hate it that everything on the lots are the 2.0. Plus I just want a soft top and no leather. Can't find anything like it around.

Good luck with the dealer

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I did it like you I work 24 hours shifts here in Fl and bought mine from Tyson motors in IL so I wasn't worried about the drive..It was a good road trip and nice break in did not go over 60mph and stopped often.. I believe there is a thread about the break in check it out great info....also I would not recommend that dealer had to email the CEO of jeep and they refunded me the difference they screwed me on...their is a dealer in NC that does deal and moves a lot of jeeps...I believe their is a thread on dealers that do deal. sorry I don't have the links saw that we were in the same line of work...
Sponsored