Sponsored

Fenders, Plastic or Painted

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I've got a 2019 Wrangler Sport S 2-door with the black plastic fenders, and I'm a bit confused. I see many Jeeps with body color fenders and many with the black plastic like mine. I always thought the more expensive Jeeps had the body color fenders, in particular the Rubicons. But I keep seeing Rubicons with black plastic fenders like mine, and some with body matched painted ones. I thought Rubicons, being high end, had the color matched painted fenders standard. Are the painted fenders an option across the Jeep line?

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you off-road allot, totally worth it! to skip the paint pinstripes. If you just city drive, I would go painted. I have the painted with my Rubicon and I really like how they look when the doors and top are off, but my top is matte black and it has been great on the trails, if it was painted it would have been a waste of money.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Sahara comes standard with painted top and fenders, both are options on Rubicon, neither available on Sport. Some people prefer the black to the painted ones.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I prefer the Ocean Blue painted fenders on my Rubicon but with the non-painted black top. My last 2 Wranglers, 2002 and 2012, had the non-painted fenders. They faded to grey pretty quickly in the Texas sun unless you kept them conditioned.

My plan is to have my fenders Line-X coated down the road if or when they get scratched up. But... it's all about personal preference.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Keep in mind that Rubicons were never meant to be "high end". That's what Saharas/Overlands are for. Rubicons are specially equipped with upgrades for off-roadability. The Jeep Engineers helped convince Chrysler to create a special "off road upgrade" package after hearing request after request at events like Camp Jeep by customers who wanted lockers, sill protection, beefier tires, and lower gear ratios right from the factory. As a result of the add-ons, Rubicons come at a higher price, but it isn't because they are "higher end".

Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with other posts. I was bummed I did not get painted. But after hitting trails every weekend in Colorado and seeing the scratches on the paint and the plastic fenders, I am happy with the black plastic.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that Rubicons were never meant to be "high end". That's what Saharas/Overlands are for. Rubicons are specially equipped with upgrades for off-roadability. The Jeep Engineers helped convince Chrysler to create a special "off road upgrade" package after hearing request after request at events like Camp Jeep by customers who wanted lockers, sill protection, beefier tires, and lower gear ratios right from the factory. As a result of the add-ons, Rubicons come at a higher price, but it isn't because they are "higher end".
It's worth noting that all of the luxury options available on the Sahara are also available on the Rubicon. Both of the Rubicons I test drove were quite a bit nicer than my pretty basic Sahara, at a cost of about 13 grand more (per the MSRP) Painted fenders and hard top (power top on one of em) leather seats, 8.4 navigation, heated seats ect... So "High end" is still a fair term for a Rubicon, If equipped.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I went back and forth on the option when I built my 20 JLUR. Ultimately went with the non painted fenders. I thought they look sportier. The painted ones on my 2010 JKU always looked scratched/faded after a short while.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have to admit there are also allot of really cool aftermarket fenders out there if the plastic non painted ones aren't for you after some time.

Reactions: apb

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I ordered a "high end" Rubicon and went with plastic fenders. I like the contrast and IMO the plastic fenders look good in that they match the soft top, bumpers, plastic grates, etc.

The good news is that there seem to be plenty of take-off fenders (both kinds) out there if you change your mind later. I'm actually surprised i don't see many JLs with different-color painted fenders on them. (IE a white jeep with orange fenders etc)
Sponsored