Fender removal/replacement aftermarket

Glow Girl

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon Unlimited
Has anyone removed or replaced their fenders on a JL or JLU? I am looking into purchasing next year but I want to remove the fenders. Problem is the lights are in the fenders. Has anyone come across a fix or have some idea on this? I don’t want plastic fenders. ‍♀
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The local dealership had a JLUR with a bunch of parts from @Metalcloak and Mopar. The ones in the picture are metalcloak and keep the vehicle street legal by maintaining the lights on the front fenders and keeping the fenders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender removal/replacement aftermarket BCD4F09B-84C2-4474-84D6-AE6C26A977A4

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender removal/replacement aftermarket 467EFB36-16D6-426F-B109-BCB4EFFD0F5C

Last edited:

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I replaced my fenders with DV8 fenders. I used some small LED cubes that I mounted under the fenders and wired to the factory daytime running lights. The fenders came with LED turn signals. Overall I am very happy with it. Not a hard project. Disassembly was stunningly easy.

I attached a close-up of the front, the daytime running lights are tucked close under the front fo the fender and the turn signal is the small LED on the fender.

IMG_0143.jpg

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Thanks I like these and hopefully they make some that will fit different fenders when I replace them.
Chances are they won't make them for aftermarket fenders because there are many out there. You'll need to find fenders with their own lights.

Also, these AAL switchback lights have been buggy with factory LEDs I think. If you search on YouTube you'll find some examples.

It's a shame because they look pretty good.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are they won't make them for aftermarket fenders because there are many out there. You'll need to find fenders with their own lights.

Also, these AAL switchback lights have been buggy with factory LEDs I think. If you search on YouTube you'll find some examples.

You're thinking of the Morimoto sequential lights. Those had a lot of teething issues, assuming they ever got sorted out. I haven't paid them any attention in months, but there was a guy trying to figure out our and he posted lots of videos about his journey.

AAL is top notch!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
You're thinking of the Morimoto sequential lights. Those had a lot of teething issues, assuming they ever got sorted out. I haven't paid them any attention in months, but there was a guy trying to figure out our and he posted lots of videos about his journey.

AAL is top notch!
I was referring to this

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I was referring to this
I stand corrected. I'm surprised I didn't come across that. I tend to dork out on videos based on whatever parts I'm waiting on, kinda living vicariously through them. Lol

I heard his flasher doing the typical fast dash indicator flashing that can be straightened out with the Tazer or the optional harness adapter.

Until now, I was only aware of some of the very early units that were prone to having some diodes malfunction, leaving a dark spot. Litebrite had one of the originals with that problem. I joined a meetup with them last December, and it happened to be the day that it first happened. One of the other members pointed it out to Kevin when we all went to the parking garage to check out the step child. AAL sent them a brand new pair, no questions asked.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I stand corrected. I'm surprised I didn't come across that. I tend to dork out on videos based on whatever parts I'm waiting on, kinda living vicariously through them. Lol

I heard his flasher doing the typical fast dash indicator flashing that can be straightened out with the Tazer or the optional harness adapter.

Until now, I was only aware of some of the very early units that were prone to having some diodes malfunction, leaving a dark spot. Litebrite had one of the originals with that problem. I joined a meetup with them last December, and it happened to be the day that it first happened. One of the other members pointed it out to Kevin when we all went to the parking garage to check out the step child. AAL sent them a brand new pair, no questions asked.
As for the Tazer... it doesn't seem a safe option as it bypasses security features of the vehicle:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/stolen-2020-jlud.54897/post-1191473

Also apparently the dealer can tell if you had such a device installed even if you unpaired and removed everything:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-on-e85-for-v6-jl-wrangler.53580/post-1172803

OP
OP

Glow Girl

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon Unlimited

I found these road armor that look pretty good from quadratec. May look a little closer at these when the time comes. Now I need to decide if I want these or a fender delete.

111B3E35-23E4-4B7D-BEC4-274DD8843792.jpeg

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I found these road armor that look pretty good from quadratec. May look a little closer at these when the time comes. Now I need to decide if I want these or a fender delete.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender removal/replacement aftermarket 111B3E35-23E4-4B7D-BEC4-274DD8843792
Fender delete eh? For us over here in Australia, we get in to trouble even if the wheel sticks out a tiny bit (when straight) so even our factory fenders have a tiny 5mm or so extending edge from the fender liner. And we get 255/70/17 wheels which are narrower than the 285s you guys get.

OP
OP

Glow Girl

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon Unlimited
Fender delete eh? For us over here in Australia, we get in to trouble even if the wheel sticks out a tiny bit (when straight) so even our factory fenders have a tiny 5mm or so extending edge from the fender liner. And we get 255/70/17 wheels which are narrower than the 285s you guys get.
Sorry...I’m in Texas. We are four wheeling, big tire, tall as you can get, custom lovin’ Risk it all kinda folks. Tint is too dark, run with one plate and keep going til we get caught.
Sponsored