Sponsored

Fender mirror in lieu of side mirror compliance?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
So I normally use side mirrors attached to Mopar cowl mounts if I have doors off, but they live there full time, as I like having them handy:

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mirror in lieu of side mirror compliance? 20210510_164900

But the MORryde jerry can mounts I installed (as seen above and below) interfere with them a bit:
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mirror in lieu of side mirror compliance? 20210510_165658

They still work if I have no jerry cans, with doors; or cans and no doors; but not cans, doors, and mirrors. (Because I'm lazy to stow the mirrors)

I've already a small hood-mounted mirror on the passenger-side, because sometimes LittleDog likes to put his head exactly in the way of the side mirror:
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mirror in lieu of side mirror compliance? 20210510_172814

(Misleading title. Sorry, they aren't real fender mirrors)

So I was wondering if mirrors like this are still legal on a new car? I put my current ones on the driver-side and it's pretty usable. It is 5.5" viewable surface instead of 4.75" like the right side:
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mirror in lieu of side mirror compliance? 20210510_174028

I can't seem to find flat mirrors, only convex, but I could probably rig something. Haven't driven with it yet, but it holds pretty steady when on the cowl, and the one on the passenger hood latch doesn't move.

Traffic ticket-wise, does this seem like a prudent idea? In New Jersey, and not sure how police view jeeps anymore; I usually get a wave, but it only takes one. When I was a kid, I used to see doors off/windshield down all the time, nowadays I'm always expecting more trouble for it.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I think as long as there is a mirror on the exterior driver's side its legal. I've never heard of an exact position on the driver's side so long as its visible to the driver. Should always have the interior rear view mirror too.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
20210510_174028.jpg

Traffic ticket-wise, does this seem like a prudent idea? In New Jersey, and not sure how police view jeeps anymore; I usually get a wave, but it only takes one. When I was a kid, I used to see doors off/windshield down all the time, nowadays I'm always expecting more trouble for it.
When I have similar inquiries, I go straight to PA's Vehicle Code, which is easily researched online.

That's how I determined, for example, that doors-off driving will make me subject to payin' paper, should I be pulled over for it. A calculated risk for me, one seemingly unique to Pennsylvania.

You might consider seeking out the Garden State's legislative language on the mirror question.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what I found for NJ. Sounds like you’re good.

Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
When I have similar inquiries, I go straight to PA's Vehicle Code, which is easily researched online.

That's how I determined, for example, that doors-off driving will make me subject to payin' paper, should I be pulled over for it. A calculated risk for me, one seemingly unique to Pennsylvania.

You might consider seeking out the Garden State's legislative language on the mirror question.

Hope to visit some trails in Pennsylvania. Is it still that doors-off is only a problem if you're out of town but in-state? I remember that it's the sort of fine that doesn't carry out of state so isn't enforced for the rest of us.

Probably depends on the local finances.

Like your doors, the letter of the law and what is enforced may vary. I'll just hope that when I point out my hood mirrors to any officer that asks, that nobody, "relieved themselves in their breakfast cereal" that morning.

I do wish that everone enforced driving with lightbars on though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Here’s what I found for NJ. Sounds like you’re good.

Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

Ha, dig the user name. I used to get the PG version that said "Mr. Fisher".

Thanks for the citation. I always figured one rear and one driver-side was still the minimum, but it looks like the wording in the statute gives me plenty off leeway.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hope to visit some trails in Pennsylvania. Is it still that doors-off is only a problem if you're out of town but in-state? I remember that it's the sort of fine that doesn't carry out of state so isn't enforced for the rest of us.

I do wish that everone enforced driving with lightbars on though.
I'd wager that your out-of-state plates may get you a pass, should the LEO otherwise want to cite you for no doors. I'm unable to guarantee that outcome, of course, so perhaps it's a calculated risk for everyone. I do know that some PA Jeepers have driven doorless without ever being cited, whereas a few have received a piece of payin' paper.

Yes, running LED cubes and lightbars at night, thus blinding oncoming drivers, could do with a bit of capital punishment. Just a few bodies, mind, until word gets out that they should be reserved for off-road use. They can start with the lifted F250s. Please.
Sponsored