Sponsored

Fender Gap

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Let me preface this by saying that I know that all of our JLs have an undesirable gap between our fenders and the body.

I also know about the fix by installing some weather seal found here. I've already done that and it is how I discovered my current issue.

My fender gap is getting bigger on my driver rear fender. I noticed today because the weather seal had fallen completely in the gap.

So I call my Jeep dealer to schedule a time for them to take a look at it. The phone rings about a dozen times before the automated message picks up. I press 1 for service. That sends me to the same automated message. I press one again. Rings about 10 times and a real person asks if I can hold. And before I can answer they put me on hold. They come back on the line after about a minute. No big deal. Places get busy.

I explain my situation and as to schedule a time to have them look at it. I am told that it is body damage and they don't deal with that. But she can give me the name of the shop they recommend. I ask if they will be covering the repair that the shop does. She says she doesn't know but offers to get me to the service manager who should be able to answer my questions.

Dominic gets on the phone. I tell him what is going on and he asks when I purchased the Jeep. I tell him in December. He replies that it has been around 4 months and it would no longer be covered by them. I ask if he is serious that a $50K+ vehicle has a gap developing between the fender and the body and he seriously expects me to believe this would not be covered beyond 90 days. He says that is the situation. They have no idea if I caused the damage by going off-roading. I could have got a stick jammed in there or something. I bring it to his attention that his first inclination is to blame the issue on something I must have done. He said that is indeed his first inclination since it has been more than 90 days. I ask for his name again and verify that he is the service manager. He gives me his name but says he is a salesman.

I tell him that I am on my way to the dealership and that he should probably make is service/sales/general manager aware of the conversation we just had.

I get to the dealership and ask to speak to the service or sales or general manager. I relay this whole debacle to the sales manager who actually made the deal on my Jeep. He listens patiently, apologizes, and says that it is pretty easy to determine if this should be covered under warranty. He asks if I can have them take a look at it now and I say that is all I wanted to schedule when I called.

He takes it back and within five minutes comes back and says it will be covered under warranty and asks if I can leave it overnight so they can do the repair tomorrow. I elect to bring it back in the morning to get the repair done.

Why did this have to be so hard? Is it really that difficult to just go ahead and schedule the appointment and have the powers that be deal with making a diagnosis and decision? I apologize for the long rant. I was just dismayed at the level of unprofessionalism from my dealership.

Some pics of what I would like them to fix.
Jeep Fender gap 1.jpg
Jeep Fender gap 2.jpg
Jeep Fender Gap 3.jpg
Sponsored

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What’s that little square thing on your fender?

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
What is it that they are repairing.....is the mounting hardware loosing up, or.....?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yes, sometimes it is just that hard. Im not sure why though. It's like the guys in the service department are annoyed when they actually have to repair things,

Sponsored

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
What is it that they are repairing.....is the mounting hardware loosing up, or.....?
I have no idea. I meet with "Torres" in the morning and hopefully, he will tell me the plan then. I will give an update when I have one.

I also wonder if they will give me a loaner for the day with Jeep Wave.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have no idea. I meet with "Torres" in the morning and hopefully, he will tell me the plan then. I will give an update when I have one.

I also wonder if they will give me a loaner for the day with Jeep Wave.
You will most likely have to fight for that as well. When the cruise control recall came out, i scheduled a visit with my dealer, decided to go ahead and get the oil changed as well (was at about 3,000 miles). They told me over the phone it would be quick. When I showed up for the appointment, they couldnt tell me how long it would take. I asked for a loaner and they told me they didnt do that. I mentioned Jeep wave and the loaner that is supposed to go with that and they still declined and said it didnt apply. I pressed further and asked why a loaner with Jeep Wave wouldnt apply to a RECALL and their tune changed. the finished up within about 30 mins, which is what i originally expected. Some service departments just dont get it...

Its like the secretary at my office, she gets pissed when she has to do secretary stuff. She always tries to get everyone else to do things so there is nothing left for her. The dummy doesnt realize that if she was actually successful, the bosses would realize that there was no need for her and she would be out of her job. These service departments are the same way.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Let me preface this by saying that I know that all of our JLs have an undesirable gap between our fenders and the body.

I also know about the fix by installing some weather seal found here. I've already done that and it is how I discovered my current issue.

My fender gap is getting bigger on my driver rear fender. I noticed today because the weather seal had fallen completely in the gap.

So I call my Jeep dealer to schedule a time for them to take a look at it. The phone rings about a dozen times before the automated message picks up. I press 1 for service. That sends me to the same automated message. I press one again. Rings about 10 times and a real person asks if I can hold. And before I can answer they put me on hold. They come back on the line after about a minute. No big deal. Places get busy.

I explain my situation and as to schedule a time to have them look at it. I am told that it is body damage and they don't deal with that. But she can give me the name of the shop they recommend. I ask if they will be covering the repair that the shop does. She says she doesn't know but offers to get me to the service manager who should be able to answer my questions.

Dominic gets on the phone. I tell him what is going on and he asks when I purchased the Jeep. I tell him in December. He replies that it has been around 4 months and it would no longer be covered by them. I ask if he is serious that a $50K+ vehicle has a gap developing between the fender and the body and he seriously expects me to believe this would not be covered beyond 90 days. He says that is the situation. They have no idea if I caused the damage by going off-roading. I could have got a stick jammed in there or something. I bring it to his attention that his first inclination is to blame the issue on something I must have done. He said that is indeed his first inclination since it has been more than 90 days. I ask for his name again and verify that he is the service manager. He gives me his name but says he is a salesman.

I tell him that I am on my way to the dealership and that he should probably make is service/sales/general manager aware of the conversation we just had.

I get to the dealership and ask to speak to the service or sales or general manager. I relay this whole debacle to the sales manager who actually made the deal on my Jeep. He listens patiently, apologizes, and says that it is pretty easy to determine if this should be covered under warranty. He asks if I can have them take a look at it now and I say that is all I wanted to schedule when I called.

He takes it back and within five minutes comes back and says it will be covered under warranty and asks if I can leave it overnight so they can do the repair tomorrow. I elect to bring it back in the morning to get the repair done.

Why did this have to be so hard? Is it really that difficult to just go ahead and schedule the appointment and have the powers that be deal with making a diagnosis and decision? I apologize for the long rant. I was just dismayed at the level of unprofessionalism from my dealership.

Some pics of what I would like them to fix.
Jeep Fender gap 1.jpg
Jeep Fender gap 2.jpg
Jeep Fender Gap 3.jpg
Hope your service department debacle gets solved. However do you mind clarifying which diameter weather seal tubing your used? I’m looking to close up the gaps on mine. Used your link to amazon for the material it I see there are two sizes.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
May just be a negative thot,
but maybe the weatherstripping used caused the plastic hardware to be tweaked outward with the stress of the weatherstripping pushing outward. ..

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
Hope your service department debacle gets solved. However do you mind clarifying which diameter weather seal tubing your used? I’m looking to close up the gaps on mine. Used your link to amazon for the material it I see there are two sizes.
Amazon tubing gives the outside diameter and the inside diameter. It is just one size of tubing. This is the exact stuff I used on my JL fenders and it worked out very well.

Sponsored

rinehart27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara (ordered 10/24); 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
law stuff
You should edit the post with the dealer info, if you’re comfortable doing so. Could be relevant for someone considering a purchase.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I tried the recommended tubing but it wouldn’t fit on the front fenders a barely on rear fenders. I couldn’t push it down. It’s great the fenders have a tight fit but small junk still gets in.

OP
OP
jedisrus

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
May just be a negative thot,
but maybe the weatherstripping used caused the plastic hardware to be tweaked outward with the stress of the weatherstripping pushing outward. ..
Anything is possible but that is highly unlikely.

The tubing is incredibly soft and compresses easily. If any additional stress caused by the weatherstripping tweaked the plastic hardware, then changes in atmospheric pressure and bumps in the road would have done the same. :)
Sponsored