Sponsored

Fender flare turn signals out

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Just installed the Barricade HD Extreme flat fender flares. The turn signals are both working, but I’m getting an error message on the dash saying the turn lights are out. They’re also blinking really fast. Any idea what’s causing this or how to fix it? This is in a 2020 JLU Sport S.

thanks!
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
You may need to use the taser to update your settings so it recognizes the LED drl’s. Otherwise, reach out to Barricade and see if they have a fix.

OP
OP
MorningStar

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Will the Tazer work if I’m going from factory halogen to the LED on the new fender flares? Just want to clarify because I don’t have a tazer and don’t want to buy something that pricey if it won’t work. I’m new to all of this so I appreciate your help!
You may need to use the taser to update your settings so it recognizes the LED drl’s. Otherwise, reach out to Barricade and see if they have a fix.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The turn signals are both working, but I’m getting an error message on the dash saying the turn lights are out. They’re also blinking really fast. Any idea what’s causing this or how to fix it?
What you're experiencing is called "hyperflash". It occurs because the vehicle thinks you still have halogen lighting. LEDs don't use as much power/amperage as the halogens, so the vehicle doesn't think they are actually there and throws the error message. Two ways to fix this:

1. Install resistors with the turn signals
  2. Use a programmer to set the turn signals to LEDs. Most will use a Tazer or the JSCAN app along with a bypass cable and OBD2 reader/scanner.
Thanks! Will the Tazer work if I’m going from factory halogen to the LED on the new fender flares? Just want to clarify because I don’t have a tazer and don’t want to buy something that pricey if it won’t work.

See above. The Tazer will work. Or, if you want to save some money you can go the JSCAN route. Cheapest option would be to install resistors.

OP
OP
MorningStar

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you're experiencing is called "hyperflash". It occurs because the vehicle thinks you still have halogen lighting. LEDs don't use as much power/amperage as the halogens, so the vehicle doesn't think they are actually there and throws the error message. Two ways to fix this:

1. Install resistors with the turn signals
  2. Use a programmer to set the turn signals to LEDs. Most will use a Tazer or the JSCAN app along with a bypass cable and OBD2 reader/scanner.

See above. The Tazer will work. Or, if you want to save some money you can go the JSCAN route. Cheapest option would be to install resistors.

Thanks! Would this be what I need then?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/diode-dynamics/led-resistor-kit-pair

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
One more question: with the resistors installed, would I still get a dash warning If the LED goes out?
In theory yes. When I purchased my AAL DRL’s, I had the bulb out light even though I had the led package. As soon as I installed the AAL patch cable the error code went away.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Be advised if installing resistors they run hot so ensure they don’t come in contact with any soft plastic or wiring.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

One more question: with the resistors installed, would I still get a dash warning If the LED goes out?
Yes. They will work just like the stock halogen bulbs.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Any dealer can reprogram for the LED's. Not sure what that costs.

G.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, thanks!
Not sure resistors would be needed if the system was flashed and if that’s the case i personally would go the JSCAN route and do it yourself, you can use it to set the system to LED’s for about $75 and it does a lot more than LED’s

Another option if resistors are not needed is to go with a Tazer mini to do the same, Tazer is a bit more refined but again this only applies if resistors are not needed.
Sponsored