Sponsored

Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I’m considering getting the front two oem sport fender flares trimmed since a modest future tire upgrade from 285/70/17 to 285/75/17 is planned. The added wheel well clearance is the goal, strictly aesthetically is understood. Any suggestions if this chopping and brackets is the more economical /better option > Rubicon flares? Also, can led’s be added to the sport fenders? Part numbers are appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I went with aluminum inner fender liners. I also swapped to rubi-style outers (MP concepts) which came with sequential LED turn signals. Do you have the capability to reprogram with a tazer or some other tool?
I didn’t like the way trimmed plastic inners looked, and they seemed like they’d struggle to keep debris out of the engine bay.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport C975C11B-0D12-45CE-821D-CE74B5A540DC

I seem to recall there are 2 different sized lighting assemblies. I’m not sure if it is LED bs Halogen or trim dependent.

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
Got in to a fender bender a few months ago so I took this time to get the KBD aftermarket fenders. Was like 400 bucks for all 4 fenders with lights included. I quite like the way it looks. I did end up getting aftermarket plastic fender liners from Crown Automotive. I just think rocks hitting a metal liner would annoy me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport 246F5F24-C0EC-4F51-BB9C-B255902A80C2

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport 46EBCE93-B734-4582-AFD2-3237AEC09F50

Last edited:

XyloSesame

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tuscadero Sport S
I’m considering getting the front two oem sport fender flares trimmed since a modest future tire upgrade from 285/70/17 to 285/75/17 is planned. The added wheel well clearance is the goal, strictly aesthetically is understood. Any suggestions if this chopping and brackets is the more economical /better option > Rubicon flares? Also, can led’s be added to the sport fenders? Part numbers are appreciated, thanks.
I was looking at 285/75 for my Sport with Rubi takeoffs, but didn't think they would rub .... should I reevaluate?

OP
OP
Willys_Wonka

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I was looking at 285/75 for my Sport with Rubi takeoffs, but didn't think they would rub .... should I reevaluate?
Did you get the Rubicon take off suspension yet? Make sure you get higher spring numbers. More than likely you won’t need additional lift after the Ruby suspension is on with 285/75/17, but it’s more preference on wheel well clearance.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I would suggest if you choose to chop your existing front fenders. Not cheap, but you will get your money's worth. Top shelf parts from a great American company. First link is to the American Adventure Labs front fender braces with integrated DRLs/turns. Just choose your model in the drop down menu. 2nd link is for their quick release high tuck aluminum liners. Again, choose model and finish. 3rd is to both finish replacing the factory white fender to body clips that don't get replaced by the liners and to add rigidity to the chopped fender.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-high-line-fender-brace-with-daytime-running-lights/

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-jt-quick-release-front-inner-fenders/

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-fender-retention-hardware/

Here's an installation video that shows the chopping process. It shows it being done to a Rubicon, which has 2-piece fenders. Yours will just require cutting your own separation point. Not at all an added complication, just takes a bit more time.

Next step would be to price out other options to see what fits your needs/wants the best.

OP
OP
Willys_Wonka

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Here's what I would suggest if you choose to chop your existing front fenders. Not cheap, but you will get your money's worth. Top shelf parts from a great American company. First link is to the American Adventure Labs front fender braces with integrated DRLs/turns. Just choose your model in the drop down menu. 2nd link is for their quick release high tuck aluminum liners. Again, choose model and finish. 3rd is to both finish replacing the factory white fender to body clips that don't get replaced by the liners and to add rigidity to the chopped fender.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-high-line-fender-brace-with-daytime-running-lights/

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-jt-quick-release-front-inner-fenders/

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-fender-retention-hardware/

Here's an installation video that shows the chopping process. It shows it being done to a Rubicon, which has 2-piece fenders. Yours will just require cutting your own separation point. Not at all an added complication, just takes a bit more time.

Next step would be to price out other options to see what fits your needs/wants the best.
I appreciate the feedback! I actually use a dedicated jeep mechanic to complete any advanced service. He also recommends American adventure labs and quake along with Rugged Ridge. Depending on his parts and labor estimate I might just opt to go in the leveling kit direction to achieve my desired wheel well clearance. It’s got about .5” rake, so not much at all. Plan is to install the larger tires, take measurements and decide on either coil spacers or a fender flare chop.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the feedback! I actually use a dedicated jeep mechanic to complete any advanced service. He also recommends American adventure labs and quake along with Rugged Ridge. Depending on his parts and labor estimate I might just opt to go in the leveling kit direction to achieve my desired wheel well clearance. It’s got about .5” rake, so not much at all. Plan is to install the larger tires, take measurements and decide on either coil spacers or a fender flare chop.
Without a doubt, a quality spacer lift will cost a fraction of both a fender chop or full replacement. Just make sure to go with a spacer kit that also includes shock extension brackets, which will retain full suspension travel. I'd also recommend adding a set of the front lower control arms from the mopar lift kit. They are 1/4" longer than what you have now, so they will help keep caster in the happy range for optimal steering behavior. They only cost an addition $80 give or take.

OP
OP
Willys_Wonka

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Without a doubt, a quality spacer lift will cost a fraction of both a fender chop or full replacement. Just make sure to go with a spacer kit that also includes shock extension brackets, which will retain full suspension travel. I'd also recommend adding a set of the front lower control arms from the mopar lift kit. They are 1/4" longer than what you have now, so they will help keep caster in the happy range for optimal steering behavior. They only cost an addition $80 give or take.
Yup, Mopar LCA’s will also get installed with the spacers, possibly larger bump stops. The recent Rubicon suspension got me a decent lift and currently rolling on 285/70/17 rubber. There is about 6.25” rear well clearance and 5.75” in front. Once I jump to 285/75/17 I’m thinking .5” rear and .75” front spacers is a good size. I want to avoid a squatty look. Here is a picture of my current set up.

71BE1491-F180-4EE8-8BC1-537B58D4D64A.jpeg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, Mopar LCA’s will also get installed with the spacers, possibly larger bump stops. The recent Rubicon suspension got me a decent lift and currently rolling on 285/70/17 rubber. There is about 6.25” rear well clearance and 5.75” in front. Once I jump to 285/75/17 I’m thinking .5” rear and .75” front spacers is a good size. I want to avoid a squatty look. Here is a picture of my current set up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport 71BE1491-F180-4EE8-8BC1-537B58D4D64A
Great looking Jeep you've got there!

Sponsored

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I went with aluminum inner fender liners. I also swapped to rubi-style outers (MP concepts) which came with sequential LED turn signals. Do you have the capability to reprogram with a tazer or some other tool?
I didn’t like the way trimmed plastic inners looked, and they seemed like they’d struggle to keep debris out of the engine bay.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fender flare trimming /chopping OEM Sport 71BE1491-F180-4EE8-8BC1-537B58D4D64A

I seem to recall there are 2 different sized lighting assemblies. I’m not sure if it is LED bs Halogen or trim dependent.
I'm interested in your review of the MPs. Any pics you can share?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I'm interested in your review of the MPs. Any pics you can share?
I’ll try to come back after I get the rears on. I also need to find a forklift to test all the flexing if possible. Finding out on the trail can cut a day short.
Here is a look at the front fender:
Front MP Concepts
Sponsored