Fender flare concerns

Dmaniates

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to own jl sport
Hey guys this is my first post and soon to be Jl sport owner . Haven't ordered mine yet and don't think you even can yet but anyways my buddy has a JK sport with cut fender flares and I like it a lot and seeing pics of the JL I'm worried we won't be able to since there's directional and fog lights now inside the flares , any thoughts ?
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome aboard! There are many ways to customize your fenders in all past wranglers, and rest assured there will be on these as well.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Hey guys this is my first post and soon to be Jl sport owner . Haven't ordered mine yet and don't think you even can yet but anyways my buddy has a JK sport with cut fender flares and I like it a lot and seeing pics of the JL I'm worried we won't be able to since there's directional and fog lights now inside the flares , any thoughts ?
Fog lights aren't in the fender flares, they are in the bumper as usual, the DRLs are in the flares, and just like American vs Canadian Jeeps, you will be able to change that to headlights, or halos, or whatever.

You can also integrate the directional /turn-signal light, just like the current side marker lights.
If you can customize fenders you can customize the LED in those fenders.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm not sure why people are so worried about the lights in the fenders. A Jeep is one of the most customized vehicles ever produced and people are worried about the lights in the fenders?

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I'm not sure why people are so worried about the lights in the fenders. A Jeep is one of the most customized vehicles ever produced and people are worried about the lights in the fenders?
The worry is how, or if the aftermarket can/will fix it. Having even more fancy stuff in the fenders is just asking for more damage on the trail and more $$$ fixing stuff that's overdeveloped. That, and personally I don't want anything on the front of the fenders for visual reasons. That's not even factoring in having branches and rocks hitting them either. Just thinking out loud..

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Dang. Double post. Sorry.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The worry is how, or if the aftermarket can/will fix it.
They can and already do for the sidemarker turn-signal mod, but it's still up to the user, most of whom don't pay the current few dollars to relocate the side markers now, so will likely moan in the future too because it's not done for them. Yet they will spend hundreds/thousands on cheap weak cosmetic mods to look the part, but wont pay the dozens of dollars to make it properly road-worthy after those mods.
But again, anyone paying $Xx dollar for the shorty fender mod can pay $x to relocate the existing LED strip or tack-on alternate lights for the same reason... that's what it takes to make it functional more than just cosmetic.

Same thing with repairing them. The cost is less than most people's beer for the day. The wiring would still be in place, so $10 or less add-on part per side.

a selection;
https://www.ordertrailerparts.com/collections/trailer-led-lights

You break them often then here's 10 amber LEDs and enclosures for $9;
https://www.amazon.com/Marker-Trail...rd_wg=HbZcu&psc=1&refRID=9SC65BRC9MTYD1D883VF

more streamlined to fit more flush to match your 8" lift and 22 spinners;
https://www.amazon.com/Shadz-led-Un...rd_wg=iV9PC&psc=1&refRID=Y1PGN1E2AQ534FB4CZDJ

Not really that much of a challenge to anyone considering a mod to begin with, and nothing new for those of us who already use the sidemarker - directional mod.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
They can and already do for the sidemarker turn-signal mod, but it's still up to the user, most of whom don't pay the current few dollars to relocate the side markers now, so will likely moan in the future too because it's not done for them. Yet they will spend hundreds/thousands on cheap weak cosmetic mods to look the part, but wont pay the dozens of dollars to make it properly road-worthy after those mods.
But again, anyone paying $Xx dollar for the shorty fender mod can pay $x to relocate the existing LED strip or tack-on alternate lights for the same reason... that's what it takes to make it functional more than just cosmetic.

Same thing with repairing them. The cost is less than most people's beer for the day. The wiring would still be in place, so $10 or less add-on part per side.

a selection;
https://www.ordertrailerparts.com/collections/trailer-led-lights

You break them often then here's 10 amber LEDs and enclosures for $9;
https://www.amazon.com/Marker-Trail...rd_wg=HbZcu&psc=1&refRID=9SC65BRC9MTYD1D883VF

more streamlined to fit more flush to match your 8" lift and 22 spinners;
https://www.amazon.com/Shadz-led-Un...rd_wg=iV9PC&psc=1&refRID=Y1PGN1E2AQ534FB4CZDJ

Not really that much of a challenge to anyone considering a mod to begin with, and nothing new for those of us who already use the sidemarker - directional mod.
This is exactly what I was getting at. A simple light built into a fender is causing some people to lose their sh!t. After paying hundreds or thousands of dollars on lift kits, tires, rims, new fenders, bumpers, side rails, light bars, and who knows what else, some people are going to have heartburn over a light in a fender?

I saw a dude driving a JK yesterday. Clean looking Jeep. Nice lift & tires. He had a full size spare with an aftermarket tire carrier. Even had a couple Jerry cans and highlift jack on the back. But one look and you can tell that Jeep has never been offroad in its life, well, maybe a dirt road. All that stuff and all that money for what? A status symbol. A trend. To look cool. What do you think he needed the jerry cans for? I know Alabama isnt the most populous state in the Union but its pretty darn hard to run out of gas, unless you are an idiot, or dont have money. Even offroad, there's not some huge swaths of land that you could be traversing without access to fuel. Most property is privately owned, there is almost no way you wouldnt have enough fuel to get in, play around for hours, and get back out.

I imagine this is the type of guy complaining about the fender lights. Spends thousands on mods including Jerry cans to look cool, but b!tches about having to move a light in the fender... (Yes i know, some of you will say you actually wheel your Jeep and that the fender lights could be an issue because you have ripped them off before. If so, then you have plenty of experience working on a Jeep and the relocation of a couple lights should be cake.)

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I saw a dude driving a JK yesterday. Clean looking Jeep. Nice lift & tires. He had a full size spare with an aftermarket tire carrier. Even had a couple Jerry cans and highlift jack on the back. But one look and you can tell that Jeep has never been offroad in its life, well, maybe a dirt road. All that stuff and all that money for what? A status symbol. A trend. To look cool.
Maybe I am in the minority of the people on here, but I personally don't think it is a big deal if this is the reason why he did it. A big part of car / truck / jeep ownership is loving the way your vehicle looks. So if you want to do all those mods for no practical reason, go on with your bad ass self. I see all these people I consider nitwits with ground lights, and a lot of the foreign little racy type cars with these ridiculous sounding mufflers, and giant spoilers, and they look and sound ridiculous in my eyes, but if that floats your boat, so be it. I don't hate on em for it. If nothing else, they are helping keeping these companies we rely on for mods and parts in business, so we should be grateful.

I personally don't go offroading too frequently, especially after flooding my jeep in a lake one time and having to listen to my pain in the ass wife bitch about it, and given it is my daily driver and I need it, but I would love to have the exta coin to lift my current jeep and put some big ass tires on it for no practical reason, because I think it is a thing of beauty when a jeep is modified like that.

evidence of what my wife still holds against me all these years later:

my sunken jeep.JPG

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Maybe I am in the minority of the people on here, but I personally don't think it is a big deal if this is the reason why he did it. A big part of car / truck / jeep ownership is loving the way your vehicle looks. So if you want to do all those mods for no practical reason, go on with your bad ass self. I see all these people I consider nitwits with ground lights, and a lot of the foreign little racy type cars with these ridiculous sounding mufflers, and giant spoilers, and they look and sound ridiculous in my eyes, but if that floats your boat, so be it. I don't hate on em for it. If nothing else, they are helping keeping these companies we rely on for mods and parts in business, so we should be grateful.

I personally don't go offroading too frequently, especially after flooding my jeep in a lake one time and having to listen to my pain in the ass wife bitch about it, and given it is my daily driver and I need it, but I would love to have the exta coin to lift my current jeep and put some big ass tires on it for no practical reason, because I think it is a thing of beauty when a jeep is modified like that.

evidence of what my wife still holds against me all these years later:

my sunken jeep.JPG
I think you misunderstood my intent, or maybe I wasnt clear. Either way, my intent wasnt to knock the guys that mod their vehicles just because. My intent was to show that people mod their Jeeps sometimes for no other reason than "just because". And when spending so much time, money, effort, in doing so; a little light in the fender shouldnt even be a blip on the radar really.

Nice pic BTW. But to put it in perspective, if my wife sunk my (or her) Jeep like that, I would still hold it against her too :)

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a case of brodies gone bad.

HTF did you end up in a lake that way? (your inner voice should read that in a beer drinking man's voice, not a nagging wife with her hands on her hips and her head swiveling righteously voice)

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Looks like a case of brodies gone bad.

HTF did you end up in a lake that way? (your inner voice should read that in a beer drinking man's voice, not a nagging wife with her hands on her hips and her head swiveling righteously voice)
This was at Rausch Creek in PA. There is a section there where there is a VERY steep hill that leads you to that little lake, and at the bottom of that hill, next to the lake, it is not a lot of area to turn. We had a couple of us down there, so when I needed to turn around, I figured ahh, no big deal, just turn around, go back up the hill and get out. During the turn, based on my position, to avoid the water completely, I would have had to reverse, but i figured no big deal, this water will gradually get deeper, just drive through it a bit. Ummmmmm no. It dropped off like a cliff, or the sand got REALLY soft all of a sudden, because I was only about 4-5 feet into the water, when the whole passenger side of my vehicle completely leaned to the right, and totally submerged, flooding the driving compartment, which was bad enough, but also destroying about $3k of aftermarket stereo equipment, ie amplifiers, sub, etc.

Expensive trip.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This was at Rausch Creek in PA. There is a section there where there is a VERY steep hill that leads you to that little lake, and at the bottom of that hill, next to the lake, it is not a lot of area to turn. We had a couple of us down there, so when I needed to turn around, I figured ahh, no big deal, just turn around, go back up the hill and get out. During the turn, based on my position, to avoid the water completely, I would have had to reverse, but i figured no big deal, this water will gradually get deeper, just drive through it a bit. Ummmmmm no. It dropped off like a cliff, or the sand got REALLY soft all of a sudden, because I was only about 4-5 feet into the water, when the whole passenger side of my vehicle completely leaned to the right, and totally submerged, flooding the driving compartment, which was bad enough, but also destroying about $3k of aftermarket stereo equipment, ie amplifiers, sub, etc.

Expensive trip.
Years ago. My buddies Cherokee looked like that, except it was his driver side. He was doing something similar near a pond that fell off quickly too. That was the 2nd time I had to pull him out of a tough situation. The first, I pulled off his front bumper :D

OP
OP

Dmaniates

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to own jl sport
Lmao a lot of guys in here seem pretty mad at my post , it wasn't a money thing or a "wannabe off roader " thing . Was just simply curious if it was going to end up being a pain in the ass to do afterMarket fenders now that there's several wires in the fenders , sorry to offend some of you lol jeez
Sponsored