Sponsored

Fender flare blew off

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
I got home after offroading yesterday and noticed my fender flare was hanging on by only one of the plastic bolts and the tire had worn away a portion of the flare which explains the burning smell I was getting periodically with the top down. I'm not sure how this could have happened. I did rub up against some branches on that side at one point but that was after I went to lunch and I definitely smelled some burning on the way to lunch. I don't get it.

Anyway, is this an easy fix or better take it to the dealer?

fender1.jpg

fender2.jpg

fender3.jpg

fender4.jpg
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
It's just plastic clips that hold the fender in place. Carefully remove the clips that appear to still be stuck attached the body, you may need to get up on the back side of the body panel with needle nose pliers to pinch clip and slide it out. Once you get the clips removed from the body, slide them into place on the flare and reattach to the body. Not overly hard to do, just use care when trying to pop the clips off the body. If you're looking for visual's, search youtube for JK fender removal, it won't be too much different.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Would OP not be better to bring it back and have them replace the fender under warranty? Or am I wrong in assuming this would be covered under warranty?

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would OP not be better to bring it back and have them replace the fender under warranty? Or am I wrong in assuming this would be covered under warranty?
I can’t say if it would or wouldn’t be a warranty issue, but in all honesty why waste your time and the dealers for 5-10 minutes of simple work? Well unless you’re someone afraid to get your hands dirty.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not. I grew up around cars (dad is a mechanic) and have been doing all my own work since a teenager. Just meant more due to the fact that his tire had damaged the flare. Would they not replace it with a brand new one because of the damage?

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
If there was an impact where an object knocked the flare off, then it would be considered damage done by the owner and not covered by the warranty. If the clips failed due to a manufacturer defect then it's Jeep's responsibility to fix it.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on if it’s truly a warranty issue. He did indicate he may have rubbed the fender flare on tree branches. Without knowing anything more that that, if he brings it in and the dealer finds any scratches, scuffs or rub marks on the fender flare they’re going to deem that the cause of the fender clips popping out.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah that makes sense. Good point. Hadn’t really thought of that side of it. I’ve never owned a new vehicle with warranty so am used to just always fixing anything myself and if I couldn’t, bringing it to my dads.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
No marks at all. You guys would probably laugh at those branches. Plus I went against them after lunch and I was on my way to lunch when I smelled the burning plastic of the fender flare for the first time.

This whole thing would make a lot more sense if I thought it was possible that the clips had failed. Does that happen? The first time I smelled the burning plastic was when I pulled onto the freeway from the side of the road (no onramp) and wanted to go the other way so I had to cross a lane fast and make a sharp turn at pretty high speed. Also it was super windy. My wife asked right then if I "heard that" but I didn't (I wound second gear too far out and it was loud). She was on the passenger side where the damaged fender flare is. She described the sound and it just sounded weird.

Should there be a break in the plastic between the edge of the flare and some of the round holes in the flare?

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon
seems like the perfect time to put on some aftermarket flares!

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
I was wondering about that. Is there any point to putting on aftermarket flares with stock Rubicon 33s? Does anyone make JL aftermarket flares yet?

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
See...if it was turbo all ur flares would have been gone... :idea:

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Wash the jeep and head to the dealer say I don’t know what happened it just fell off... bam new fender under warranty woot woot lol

Easy fix if you can get the clips.
Sponsored