Sponsored

Femco Click Drain: The Dumb Way.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Probably one of the last nice, sunny, warm days around here, so I spent the afternoon checking fluids and such in preparation for winter. Let out oil when I started and planned on ending with a new Femco Click Drain plug (M14x1.5-T9 is the correct size). Having just wasted way too much time on this thing, I thought I'd give you all a friendly heads up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Femco Click Drain: The Dumb Way. 20201110_155902

Sorry, could have taken a better photo, but I was angry at the thing.

The problem was entirely in my brain. After I installed the plug, I tried to attach the quick connect, but was unable to. However hard I pushed it, it wouldn't connect. It turns out that you just have to push it *really* hard to connect, and I didn't have the leverage. I was doing everything on a crawler from the passenger-side, so I was trying to push the connector in from ninety degrees off true.

I spent so long trying to get that thing in that I ate a sandwich, peed in a bottle, and had to yell at the dog for wandering off after getting bored of watching me swear at the thing.

In the end, I tossed it in a corner angrily, put the original plug back and put in oil. Then I took the Femco to take a poor photo and then swear at it before putting it back in the box. But when I gave it one more try, it worked!

Because I was on a crawler, every time i thought I was applying a lot of force, I was really just pushing myself sideways. I had both my arms extended way over my head because the oil filter hole was still dripping into the pan and was bracing myself with the other arm pulling on a crossmember, but apparently my weenie arms weren't enough to provide the awkward sideways leverage necessary.

So now I'm going to have to wait another 5,000 miles or so before installing again. If I were to go back in time, I'd get the regular screw-in version, or work out more before trying to use it, or not be lazy and move things so that I could get in from under the front. That's a lie; I'd just get the screw-in.

If you buy this thing, don't be like me and yell at a dog and pee in a bottle; try the connector first to experience the incredible amount of force required to connect it.
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
LOL I run the Femco Compact Plug in the Jeep and it has a hose you just screw on and the drain opens. Very easy and well made. Drain it right into an empty container. I use a Fumoto on my ND Miata.

Tom Femco USA

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Hello LittleDog,
Thanks for trying out Femco's click drain set.
I hope its working well for you. As you mentioned, you were having some trouble using our clicker.
I would like to suggest grabbing the clicker by the hose or the bottom part of the clicker and then pressing it onto the plug. The green part of the clicker needs to move freely in order to latch onto the plug.

This was a learning experience for us as wel, we will make improvements to the instruction manuals in future packaging.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Probably one of the last nice, sunny, warm days around here, so I spent the afternoon checking fluids and such in preparation for winter. Let out oil when I started and planned on ending with a new Femco Click Drain plug (M14x1.5-T9 is the correct size). Having just wasted way too much time on this thing, I thought I'd give you all a friendly heads up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Femco Click Drain: The Dumb Way. 20201110_155902

Sorry, could have taken a better photo, but I was angry at the thing.

The problem was entirely in my brain. After I installed the plug, I tried to attach the quick connect, but was unable to. However hard I pushed it, it wouldn't connect. It turns out that you just have to push it *really* hard to connect, and I didn't have the leverage. I was doing everything on a crawler from the passenger-side, so I was trying to push the connector in from ninety degrees off true.

I spent so long trying to get that thing in that I ate a sandwich, peed in a bottle, and had to yell at the dog for wandering off after getting bored of watching me swear at the thing.

In the end, I tossed it in a corner angrily, put the original plug back and put in oil. Then I took the Femco to take a poor photo and then swear at it before putting it back in the box. But when I gave it one more try, it worked!

Because I was on a crawler, every time i thought I was applying a lot of force, I was really just pushing myself sideways. I had both my arms extended way over my head because the oil filter hole was still dripping into the pan and was bracing myself with the other arm pulling on a crossmember, but apparently my weenie arms weren't enough to provide the awkward sideways leverage necessary.

So now I'm going to have to wait another 5,000 miles or so before installing again. If I were to go back in time, I'd get the regular screw-in version, or work out more before trying to use it, or not be lazy and move things so that I could get in from under the front. That's a lie; I'd just get the screw-in.

If you buy this thing, don't be like me and yell at a dog and pee in a bottle; try the connector first to experience the incredible amount of force required to connect it.
What kind of bottle?

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
How did you attach the Femco to the bottle?

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hello LittleDog,
Thanks for trying out Femco's click drain set.
I hope its working well for you. As you mentioned, you were having some trouble using our clicker.
I would like to suggest grabbing the clicker by the hose or the bottom part of the clicker and then pressing it onto the plug. The green part of the clicker needs to move freely in order to latch onto the plug.

This was a learning experience for us as wel, we will make improvements to the instruction manuals in future packaging.

What? You mean to say that one man's silly story might effect change in this world? Stop it, you'll weaken my cynicism.

Don't forget to credit me for helping with the tech writing, and where do I send my billable hours? Or at least pay me with a photo of your Femco offices with a piece of paper saying "Thanks LittleDog", and maybe a thumbs up or something. You know, to give some humanity to your giant, faceless corporation that made me pee in a bottle.

Full circle of that story: Today, five months later, is one of the first sunny, warm, days of the year here, and approximately 5,000 miles later on the jeep. I was going to change my oil, but I forgot to buy a filter. I did just eat a sandwich, and peed in a regular toilet, so I guess I've got that going for me. I'll post again if anything goes wrong installing it this time.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
What kind of bottle?

Dedicated pee bottle; I'm not a barbarian, well anymore.

Jeep Wrangler JL Femco Click Drain: The Dumb Way. 20210406_153114

The actual little dog is also trained to use these, very convenient when it is raining out.
Sponsored