First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have a dash cam front and rear. Motion makes it record too. Guess its great to identify who done it...as long as they don't steal the dash cam! I mostly have it to record trails and any accident that is not my fault. Mine is a Viofo A129 duo Pro. Its cheap and I have one in all of my vehicles because as someone said earlier in the thread...people suck.
Thanks, and that s my biggest concern, they see that and grab it too. I believe the BlackVue records to the cloud???
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The motion sensing notification is nice IF it works and IF you are nearby and can do something about it.....

I have that function on my home security cameras......I have found out a couple things:
a) there are a LOT of cars going past my house every hour!!!! LOL (false positives)
b) I have a lot of bugs at night that can also trigger the app LOL
b) If I am even just a mile away all this does if make me aware......and only IF I am constantly checking emails.....(refer to "a" above).....I realized that any motion I am notified about will likely result in me seeing what happened, but not in time to do much....

Hopefully your dash cam's app is better since it uses "motion sensors"....even then, my dashcam seems to false when I car with a loud exhaust or booming music goes by........sigh

Its a shame that we as honest people have to defend ourselves against those who will just "take" what they want........
Yeah, I've had the same functionality concerns.

And yeah, it's a crying shame. All in about $1k, just to possibly collect evidence towards a scumbag that new York would only set free again. That thought is a big reason why the dash cam keeps hitting the back burner. I'd love to kneecap the imbecile that decided against a caught thief getting their hand cut off.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I've had the same functionality concerns.

And yeah, it's a crying shame. All in about $1k, just to possibly collect evidence towards a scumbag that new York would only set free again. That thought is a big reason why the dash cam keeps hitting the back burner. I'd love to kneecap the imbecile that decided against a caught thief getting their hand cut off.
True what you said about them just letting these dirtbags go but I still believe the dash cam is necessary. Why? Today no body takes responsibility for their actions so when you’re driving and doing the right thing and some dummy does something stupid, he’s gonna say you screwed up. Then the insurance company calls the accident “no fault” and your rates go up. Here in NYC there’s no law and order. They ride dirt bikes and quads through busy streets with no helmets and no regard for people. When one of these idiots runs in front of my work truck or Jeep I don’t wanna have to pay them. I’ve got cameras in both vehicles that record to my phone. I can have the video ready to send by time the police get there.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True what you said about them just letting these dirtbags go but I still believe the dash cam is necessary. Why? Today no body takes responsibility for their actions so when you’re driving and doing the right thing and some dummy does something stupid, he’s gonna say you screwed up. Then the insurance company calls the accident “no fault” and your rates go up. Here in NYC there’s no law and order. They ride dirt bikes and quads through busy streets with no helmets and no regard for people. When one of these idiots runs in front of my work truck or Jeep I don’t wanna have to pay them. I’ve got cameras in both vehicles that record to my phone. I can have the video ready to send by time the police get there.
You're absolutely right, Steve. Too many amongst us seem to think they are exempt from accountability. Nothing like video proof to serve as the slap of reality.

Cheers, buddy!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good. Make sure your dash cam time and date stamps the footage.
Big yes on this. And make sure to set it to the correct time and date.

I tend to watch a lot of crash and bad driving compilation videos, to see the patterns that help me to avoid certain situations. Like cutting through a gap in a line of traffic, just to be t-boned by a surprised driver in the next open lane. Anyways, I've seen a few incidents that were clearly not the fault of the dash cam owner, but the insurance companies decided on a 50/50 ruling due to an inaccurate timestamp.

Another observation from those videos. Check how clear your cam picks up plate numbers. Many victims get left in the lurch because a plate couldn't be read. Lots of drivers, sometimes after learning the hard way, form the habit of clearly reading out the plate number for cams that also include an interior microphone.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I agree 100% and it sucks that it has come to this, some people just plain old suck and ruin it for someone else.
On a lighter note, watching the dash cam videos from Russia are always good for a laugh

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Hmmm maybe a few small bags of caster beans next time.
Sponsored