Sponsored

Feedback wanted on Toyo Open Country A/T 3 tires.

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
How well do these tires perform off road, in rocks, sand, snow, etc.?

Can you air them down repeatedly with no issues? are the sidewalls and rubber strong enough?

Do they compare well off road to BFG KO2's and other good all terrains?

Also, what are the belt layers and material for tread and sidewall? This info is lacking on the Toyo website.

I just found out the Toyo Open Country AT3 comes in a 35/11.5R17 which would fit perfect on the stock rims of my 2021 JLUR. They are also a load range C, and 3 peak mountain snowflake rated. Just what I want. My son needs new 285/70x17 tires for his Tacoma, so I am going to size up and sell him my stock tires. Next year I'll lift and put 37's and beadlocks when I can afford it.

For now, I just want the biggest tire I can get safely on my stock 7.5" rims. My other option is 285/75R17s, a true 34" tire. There are a bunch of tires in that size, but I have only found 2 in the 35/11.5R17.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have them in 285/75/17s LR C, they have been great, have about 12k miles. I have not used them off road but on road and in snow and wet they work very well. I had ATIIs in the same size on my JKU they were very good as well but not as good in wet and snow as they were not 3pmsf rated

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I have Toyo AT III's on my JLUS Willys with stock 17 x 7.5" MOAB wheels. I got a full set in the 285/75R17 size.

Handling is great, on and off road in most conditions. I have not done any mud since I got the tires so I can't say how they would do.

Traction is good on rock and sand, They seem to grip well and the wider width over the stock 255's that came on the rig helps keep you from digging in too quickly and burying yourself. I suspect the hybrid tread doesn't clean itself as quickly in mud as a M/T tread would.

I've aired them down 3 times (I just got 'em) and I see no immediate issues. The KO2's and Ridge Grapplers didn't show any signs of damage from being aired down as many times as I did so.

I can compare the AT III's to KO2's and Nitto Ridge Grapplers

While the KO2 is a great tire but as they get older the sidewalls seem to weaken. They don't crack but tire straight line performance starts to degrade and they don't track well. At that point they seem to create a vibration. I had this happen with two sets. I don't think the cause was airing them down and back up again.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler is another great tire. They look good and are pretty quiet compared to the KO2s. They don't suffer from weakening side wall issue. The tread is a hybrid design and works well in all conditions I've experienced. I'd rate the Toyo AT III hybrid design better on rocks.

You can get the AT III tires in Load Range C or Load Range E. The material information might be proprietary. Info on Load Range number of plys is available online. For Load Range C standard ply no. = 6. For Load Range E standard ply
no. = 10.

I do rub a bit on more technical trails and don't have the articulation I want but those things will soon be remedied.

Good luck with your tire choice!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the detailed info. I am likely to get the C load range. Which did you get?

I am looking for the standard "ply" information that is usually printed on the sidewall of the tire. I do not see that on the Toyo website where the the tire specs are.

Being based in So Cal, I doubt I'll see much mud, like you.

I have Toyo AT III's on my JLUS Willys with stock 17 x 7.5" MOAB wheels. I got a full set in the 285/75R17 size.

Handling is great, on and off road in most conditions. I have not done any mud since I got the tires so I can't say how they would do.

Traction is good on rock and sand, They seem to grip well and the wider width over the stock 255's that came on the rig helps keep you from digging in too quickly and burying yourself. I suspect the hybrid tread doesn't clean itself as quickly in mud as a M/T tread would.

I've aired them down 3 times (I just got 'em) and I see no immediate issues. The KO2's and Ridge Grapplers didn't show any signs of damage from being aired down as many times as I did so.

I can compare the AT III's to KO2's and Nitto Ridge Grapplers

While the KO2 is a great tire but as they get older the sidewalls seem to weaken. They don't crack but tire straight line performance starts to degrade and they don't track well. At that point they seem to create a vibration. I had this happen with two sets. I don't think the cause was airing them down and back up again.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler is another great tire. They look good and are pretty quiet compared to the KO2s. They don't suffer from weakening side wall issue. The tread is a hybrid design and works well in all conditions I've experienced. I'd rate the Toyo AT III hybrid design better on rocks.

You can get the AT III tires in Load Range C or Load Range E. The material information might be proprietary. Info on Load Range number of plys is available online. For Load Range C standard ply no. = 6. For Load Range E standard ply
no. = 10.

I do rub a bit on more technical trails and don't have the articulation I want but those things will soon be remedied.

Good luck with your tire choice!
Sponsored