Sponsored

Feedback request: Check my flat tow parts list/setup

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
I am planning my flat tow setup and wanted to post here for feedback. I read most of the history and am still planning on a steel winch bumper connection.

Bumper: LOD signature stubby with blue ox adapters and skid plate. $945
Towbar: blue ox alpha 6500# kit includes safety chains. $720 etrailer
Cooltech JL tow harness. 159.95
Blue ox 7 wire to 6 wire coiled electrical cord. 78.95 etrailer
Total: $1904.90
Option 2 would be the mopar front steel bumper with maximus 3 jl tow loops and blue ox adapters. $1045+ $220 + $195
Total: $2418.90

Any pieces I am missing? I’m not doing the blue ox baseplate.
Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Supplemental brake system?

I went with the RVi3.

You might also think about a toad vehicle battery charger. I went with RVi for that also.

OP
OP
Hawkspring

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supplemental brake system?

I went with the RVi3.

You might also think about a toad vehicle battery charger. I went with RVi for that also.
Thanks, I will check out that system as I haven’t researched them. I am still on the fence. I am towing it behind my F450 with a truck camper, so I have a ton of braking power and reserve towing capacity. CA law does not require it if you can stop within x feet from x speed. I think I will do a local test without and see if I can meet the stopping length reqs by law and then decide.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Thanks, I will check out that system as I haven’t researched them. I am still on the fence. I am towing it behind my F450 with a truck camper, so I have a ton of braking power and reserve towing capacity. CA law does not require it if you can stop within x feet from x speed. I think I will do a local test without and see if I can meet the stopping length reqs by law and then decide.
FWIW, I have the RVi3 Brake like Bilymac and am happy with it and as he pointed out, don't forget the toad battery charger. Did you double check the CA towing requirements? I was under the impression CA required it for anything above 1500lbs, but I might be mistaken and I didn't dig back into it. If you haven't done so already, make sure your horizontal alignment between the Ford hitch and the Jeep connection is within specs, otherwise you'll need an offset / extension, which also has limits on length and height. You might also want an (anti) hitch rattler (it works for me) and a cover for the BO tow bar for when it's not in use towing. I also got locking hitch pins, relatively inexpensive insurance to keep casual thieves from getting interested in my tow bar. A tiny, but good detail mod is to add the cover on the CoolTech switch - keeps you from accidentally changing it between Jeep to Tow mode. If you don't have something in your possession already, get an inexpensive bag (even Harbor Freight has good options) for your "tow stuff" to make each setup / breakdown easy. Keep the safety cables, breakaway cable, umbilical cable, gloves, rubber mallet, flashlight etc in it so everything is in one place.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Your advertised tow capacity has nothing to do with braking capacity. The truck is designed with brakes sized to stop it if loaded to its max CCC, not max combined weight. You absolutely need a supplimental brake system. I suspect your owners manual will tell you this too. I'd be extremely surprised if California law doesn't require it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawkspring

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your advertised tow capacity has nothing to do with braking capacity. The truck is designed with brakes sized to stop it if loaded to its max CCC, not max combined weight. You absolutely need a supplimental brake system. I suspect your owners manual will tell you this too. I'd be extremely surprised if California law doesn't require it.
1. I have not exceeded the Payload or GVWR combined with the TC on the truck, so it doesn’t matter whether you agree that sufficient braking for towing over 30k lbs correlates to a surplus amount of braking power and endurance when running half that amount of weight.

2. Prepare to be surprised, are you sitting down? CA law does not require supplemental braking systems (explicitly) as toads are not treated as trailers. From the California Highway Patrol in Sacramento, CA- California law does not require brakes on towed motor vehicles to be operated from the motor home provided the combination of vehicles meet the stopping requirements of Section 26454 of the Vehicle Code (VC). Section 26454 VC states in part, the service brakes of every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle or combination of vehicles under all conditions of loading on any grade on which it is operated. Provided your motorhome is assigned a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more, your combination would be required to come to a complete stop within 50 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour. Additionally, an emergency device is not required. "

That doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea, or I won’t find it desirable after I test without it.

OP
OP
Hawkspring

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I have the RVi3 Brake like Bilymac and am happy with it and as he pointed out, don't forget the toad battery charger. Did you double check the CA towing requirements? I was under the impression CA required it for anything above 1500lbs, but I might be mistaken and I didn't dig back into it. If you haven't done so already, make sure your horizontal alignment between the Ford hitch and the Jeep connection is within specs, otherwise you'll need an offset / extension, which also has limits on length and height. You might also want an (anti) hitch rattler (it works for me) and a cover for the BO tow bar for when it's not in use towing. I also got locking hitch pins, relatively inexpensive insurance to keep casual thieves from getting interested in my tow bar. A tiny, but good detail mod is to add the cover on the CoolTech switch - keeps you from accidentally changing it between Jeep to Tow mode. If you don't have something in your possession already, get an inexpensive bag (even Harbor Freight has good options) for your "tow stuff" to make each setup / breakdown easy. Keep the safety cables, breakaway cable, umbilical cable, gloves, rubber mallet, flashlight etc in it so everything is in one place.
Thanks, lots of good detail in there. I flat towed my JKUR without any batter charger for a year full time, I wasn’t tracking a battery charger. Will investigate. I have some good nylon tool bags for keeping stuff organized. Thanks!

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Heres another shocker, lots of people tow without a supplemental braking system. In the world of DP coaches 15K and up hitches are the norm. 40K pound coaches are the lightest. Towing 4K behind them is nothing. Some coaches are pushing 60K in weight.
I have been around RV's for 40 plus years. NOT advocating, just putting out real world info. Cheers.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Remember, that 30k tow capacity you quote is assuming it (the trailer) has brakes. There is no way your truck would be able to safely stop 30k lbs, plus its own weight, in anything other than optimal conditions (level terrain, LOTS of room).

Now, if you're telling me the total weight of the truck, including whatever else you put in it, plus the toad is less than the GVWR of the truck, better, although I'd not be comfortable with it. If towing with a 40k lb motorhome, maybe.

Be double sure your tow bar is at the proper level when hooked up so the toad doesn't unload the rear axle on the truck in hard braking, diminishing your rear tire grip/braking efficiency.

Happy trails...
Sponsored