Sponsored

Feedback on RGT Oil (Thus Far)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running Rotella Gas Truck (RGT) for about 15K miles now using an OCI of 5K with no major issues (as expected). A few observations—I do need more UOAs for trending so these are just initial observations:

1. It is shear resistant, typically losing a low of 6.3% to a high of 9.4% of its viscosity versus a low of 9.6% to a high of 17.1% for Castrol Edge in the same engine.

2. Iron generation appears to be on par with the other oils that I have used, ranging from 12-36PPM versus 12-28PPM for Castrol Edge for a 5K OCI.

3. Total Base Number (TBN) retention is the only “downer” if there is one to be named. The TBN for this oil does not start very high—6.44 from a virgin oil sample (VOA). It typically loses between 56.3% and 69.72% of its total TBN in 5K miles versus between 19.39% and 51.06% for Castrol Edge. While reduction in TBN is not linear, this indicates to me that RGT is not a “long drain” oil and I have capped the OCI at 5K miles.

4. Though color means little in motor oil these days, RGT is very dark at 5K miles which could mean it is cleaning/absorbing combustion by-products while it is in use. The oil temperatures in my 3.6L are very normal running in the 190°F – 220°F range depending on ambient temperatures and load, so I am confident it is not turning dark due to temperatures.

Otherwise, for an oil that was gobbled up during the AAP clearance at between $1.00 and $2.00 per quart, I am happy with the performance and the self-imposed OCI limit of 5K miles. I will update this thread as new data comes to light.

@DanW @blnewt @Rhinebeck01 @Stormin’ Moorman
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
You guys that were bale to get this stuff cheap are lucky. I tried, but the online resource ran out of the oil too quickly.

I think the self-imposed OCI is a good thing. I'm old school and don't trust an oil life monitor. 5k OR 6-month is my change interval. My annual commuting miles is only 8k, so I hardly ever hit the 5k prior to 6 months. How many miles a year do you put on OR do you have a time based OCI as well?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys that were bale to get this stuff cheap are lucky. I tried, but the online resource ran out of the oil too quickly.

I think the self-imposed OCI is a good thing. I'm old school and don't trust an oil life monitor. 5k OR 6-month is my change interval. My annual commuting miles is only 8k, so I hardly ever hit the 5k prior to 6 months. How many miles a year do you put on OR do you have a time based OCI as well?
I am basing my OCI on the UOA results and the TBN being at or near 2.0 after 5K miles. Though there could be a bit more life in the oil, changing it at 5K means that I have a buffer if the engine is operated under heavier loads, cold or hot temperatures than usual or has more idling time and It coincides with my tire rotation cycle. It also means that I could theoretically stop doing UOA's since I have a small baseline for oil health, but I plan to continue.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am basing my OCI on the UOA results and the TBN being at or near 2.0 after 5K miles. Though there could be a bit more life in the oil, changing it at 5K means that I have a buffer if the engine is operated under heavier loads, cold or hot temperatures than usual or has more idling time and It coincides with my tire rotation cycle. It also means that I could theoretically stop doing UOA's since I have a small baseline for oil health, but I plan to continue.
I'm going 6k OCIs on mine, I combine my tire rotations in the same service so I figure that's a good mileage for both. Only on my 1st Rotella change and other than my rear main seal leak all is good (it's been dribbling about a teaspoon or two per oil change for about 10k miles now).

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going 6k OCIs on mine, I combine my tire rotations in the same service so I figure that's a good mileage for both. Only on my 1st Rotella change and other than my rear main seal leak all is good (it's been dribbling about a teaspoon or two per oil change for about 10k miles now).
You should be totally fine to go 6K. Depending on which lab is used and their test methodology the TBN lower limit can be between 2.0 and 1.0. With that said even if it dropped to 0.0, it's not like the engine will suddenly implode.

Sponsored

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I have been running Rotella Gas Truck (RGT) for about 15K miles now using an OCI of 5K with no major issues (as expected). A few observations—I do need more UOAs for trending so these are just initial observations:

1. It is shear resistant, typically losing a low of 6.3% to a high of 9.4% of its viscosity versus a low of 9.6% to a high of 17.1% for Castrol Edge in the same engine.

2. Iron generation appears to be on par with the other oils that I have used, ranging from 12-36PPM versus 12-28PPM for Castrol Edge for a 5K OCI.

3. Total Base Number (TBN) retention is the only “downer” if there is one to be named. The TBN for this oil does not start very high—6.44 from a virgin oil sample (VOA). It typically loses between 56.3% and 69.72% of its total TBN in 5K miles versus between 19.39% and 51.06% for Castrol Edge. While reduction in TBN is not linear, this indicates to me that RGT is not a “long drain” oil and I have capped the OCI at 5K miles.

4. Though color means little in motor oil these days, RGT is very dark at 5K miles which could mean it is cleaning/absorbing combustion by-products while it is in use. The oil temperatures in my 3.6L are very normal running in the 190°F – 220°F range depending on ambient temperatures and load, so I am confident it is not turning dark due to temperatures.

Otherwise, for an oil that was gobbled up during the AAP clearance at between $1.00 and $2.00 per quart, I am happy with the performance and the self-imposed OCI limit of 5K miles. I will update this thread as new data comes to light.

Nice break down of information. At the clearance price you got it for and only 5k oil change intervals, you are good to go. Seems like a good oil at a great price.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Hey thanks for taking the time to do document all this and put it on line. This is the type of stuff I love to get out of these forums. great job,

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to share a little more information about how RGT is faring in my 3.6L since I have 4 OCs and 20K miles of runtime with RGT at this point.

It is a great oil, holds up well under various operating conditions, and was a great price at the time I bought it. I initially ran a 60/40 mix of 0W-20 and 5W-30 (for 3 OCs) and then went full 5W-30 as I was making long, continuous runs from Houston to CO/WY/MT. The 3.6L saw higher RPMs for hundreds of miles due to the larger tires and 4.10 gears as it would be in 5/6/7 most if not all of the time. I will remain with 5W-30 as I like the extra protection that one step up in viscosity provides.

Viscosity drop is <14% (due to shearing and some fuel dilution) and TBN loss is about 60% after 5K miles. Though it is not a long drain oil, one could likely go to 7.5K miles without issue. I use a 5K OCI since it matches my tire rotation and it is simple to remember.

Hope this helps!

Jeep Wrangler JL Feedback on RGT Oil (Thus Far) RkHJkl

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to share a little more information about how RGT is faring in my 36L since I have 4 OCs and 20K miles of runtime with RGT at this point.

It is a great oil, holds up well under various operating conditions, and was a great price at the time I bought it. I initially ran a 60/40 mix of 0W-20 and 5W-30 (for 3 OCs) and then went full 5W-30 as I was making long, continuous runs from Houston to CO/WY/MT. The 3.6L saw higher RPMs for hundreds of miles due to the larger tires and 4.10 gears as it would be in 5/6/7 most if not all of the time. I will remain with 5W-30 as I like the extra protection that one step up in viscosity provides.

Viscosity drop is <14% (due to shearing and some fuel dilution) and TBN loss is about 60% after 5K miles. Though it is not a long drain oil, one could likely go to 7.5K miles without issue. I use a 5K OCI since it matches my tire rotation and it is simple to remember.

Hope this helps!

Jeep Wrangler JL Feedback on RGT Oil (Thus Far) RkHJkl
I'm surprised the 5w30 sheared down like that. I've done 1 run of 0w20 RGT and it didn't shear down but a tenth or two. In fact, none of the 0w20's have done that. It is still at a good viscosity though, so I don't think it is a big deal. The UOA's look great. I think it is great oil. I've still got a shit ton of it, too. $2 a quart is the bargain of the century!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised the 5w30 sheared down like that. I've done 1 run of 0w20 RGT and it didn't shear down but a tenth or two. In fact, none of the 0w20's have done that. It is still at a good viscosity though, so I don't think it is a big deal. The UOA's look great. I think it is great oil. I've still got a shit ton of it, too. $2 a quart is the bargain of the century!
Generally speaking, xW-30 is not as shear resistant as xW-20 (contrary to popular belief) due to viscosity index improvers (VII) presence. The wider the span between the W number and upper (aka 100 cSt) number, the more VII is there and the less shear resistant the oil may be.

But, I also had a bit of fuel dilution that dings viscosity too. Still, as you noted, the viscosity remains good and in the 30 grade range. I have been very happy with this <$2.00 per quart oil!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I’m out. I need to find another deal on oil.

Reactions: VNT

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase