• Total voters

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Hey everyone, I'm going through some mental Olympics over my Jeep order that I placed in November (paid $1k deposit). I had ordered a JLUR with a manual, cloth, tow package, LEDs, and hard-top.

I passed on the Cold Weather Package (CWP) because I've had it previously in my '21 JLR with cloth, and while it was nice and I enjoyed it, its not super necessary since it isn't leather, and is again, one less wiring harness, or component that could break, especially after reading about the heated steering wheel/seats shorting out and not being able to service that heater, etc. (I've had a heated seat go out in my Lexus and it was roughly $1400 to replace)

My hang up is if I was way overthinking the probability of failure of the CWP (I tend on keeping vehicles until they are dead), or if my thought process is solid in ordering without it. Do I eat the $1k deposit and re-order with the CWP? Keep it as is?

Driving me crazy because my logical mind is telling me to keep it, as for the less things that could break factor, and also if I really wanted, I could get aftermarket heated/cooled seats. Even if I decide not to get heated seats, I could use a heated blankets on a topless night, or things of that sort.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your input, even if its to roast me as I know its a pretty ridiculous post. Thank you!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So let me get this straight, you are worried about something failing that could be expensive to repair, to the point you'd pay $1000 to get rid of it to avoid paying $1400 on the off chance it fails?

If I understand that correctly, it makes no sense to me. I'd keep it and pocket the $1k to offset the cost of the many mods and accessories that inevitibly come with Jeep ownership. Or, bank it as a sort of self-provided warranty.

I've got the CWP on my very early production 2018 JLUR. I absolutely love it and use the heated seats/wheel all the time. It has survived top down/doors off monsoons where the seats, wheel, and dash controls all got soaked, including once where the rain caim at it at an angle, driven by strong winds for a solid 20 minutes. No failure, at all.

These are made in the good ole USA Jeeps, and these parts have been made in massive numbers. I can't imagine they'd be hard to find if something were to happen. But I think failure is very unlikely.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I see your worry that you should get the Jeep the way you want it if you are spending 50k plus.

is it too-late to change it? They might not have even started the build yet. If you don’t know, reach out.

otherwise, if it were me, I’d loose no sleep over it. I traded in my 2013 Laramie Ram with heated seats and steering wheel…I might have used them twice, but I am also in Florida.

see if you can update your order, if not, I’d keep it.

🍻

OP
OP
vasdimpop

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Why would you lose the deposit? Most dealers are willing to place a new order and transfer the deposit over.
Well, I had initially ordered a Willys which the dealer was kind enough to cancel and let me re-order the JLUR. I had reached out and they said all parts are gathered and preliminary ship date is 1/26.

So let me get this straight, you are worried about something failing that could be expensive to repair, to the point you'd pay $1000 to get rid of it to avoid paying $1400 on the off chance it fails?

If I understand that correctly, it makes no sense to me. I'd keep it and pocket the $1k to offset the cost of the many mods and accessories that inevitibly come with Jeep ownership. Or, bank it as a sort of self-provided warranty.

I've got the CWP on my very early production 2018 JLUR. I absolutely love it and use the heated seats/wheel all the time. It has survived top down/doors off monsoons where the seats, wheel, and dash controls all got soaked, including once where the rain caim at it at an angle, driven by strong winds for a solid 20 minutes. No failure, at all.

These are made in the good ole USA Jeeps, and these parts have been made in massive numbers. I can't imagine they'd be hard to find if something were to happen. But I think failure is very unlikely.
Oh no, I wouldn't do that; let me clarify: current order has no CWP and has my $1k deposit. I'd have to pay the $1k to re-order WITH the CWP.

I see your worry that you should get the Jeep the way you want it if you are spending 50k plus.

is it too-late to change it? They might not have even started the build yet. If you don’t know, reach out.

otherwise, if it were me, I’d loose no sleep over it. I traded in my 2013 Laramie Ram with heated seats and steering wheel…I might have used them twice, but I am also in Florida.

see if you can update your order, if not, I’d keep it.

🍻
Yeah, they said once the VIN is issued, its pretty hard to change the order, plus mine is all parts gathered with a ship date of 1/26 at the moment.

Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Gotta ask... Where in SoCal do you need seat heaters?

On my other vehicles the only use was after a session on the slopes, which was great but wholly unnecessary and I was unable to de-option the heaters.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Gotta ask... Where in SoCal do you need seat heaters?

On my other vehicles the only use was after a session on the slopes, which was great but wholly unnecessary and I was unable to de-option the heaters.
I was thinking the same thing. I live in a much colder climate and I make do without them … you’ll survive.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I had initially ordered a Willys which the dealer was kind enough to cancel and let me re-order the JLUR. I had reached out and they said all parts are gathered and preliminary ship date is 1/26.

Oh no, I wouldn't do that; let me clarify: current order has no CWP and has my $1k deposit. I'd have to pay the $1k to re-order WITH the CWP.

Yeah, they said once the VIN is issued, its pretty hard to change the order, plus mine is all parts gathered with a ship date of 1/26 at the moment.
Ahh, ok, I thought I might not be reading it correctly.

One thing to consider....Jeeps warm up quickly and have blast furnaces for heaters, so it isn't a critical thing. My wife's doesn't have the CWP and she doesn't mind that at all.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Personally I’d reorder, but only if I don’t lose my deposit. If I was going to lose the 1k I’d just keep it, lots of aftermarket options to heat those farts up

Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I'd just keep what you ordered as unless you order every single option available you may (or may not) at one time or another wish you had an option you passed on.

In my case I ordered every option I wanted except for the advance security package. My wife has those options on her Cherokee and while I enjoy them, I felt I needed to save money somewhere.

The adaptive cruise is one thing I miss from time to time as the automatic high beams. The automatic wipers are nice but I don't wish I had them as much as the other features.

But of the options I did order; sky one touch top, safety package, LED lights, front trail camera, remote-proximity locks, tow package, NAV with premium sound, cold weather package, and full time 4WD system I felt I really wanted and I couldn't pick one of these to drop so I could get the advance safety.

So I decided to just enjoy the Wrangler I ordered, which I do, and not worry about what I don't have. My last Jeep had cloth seats and I didn't miss the heated seats option at all. The heated steering wheel would have been sweet once in a while. But, I do live in Minnesota so that cold, plastic steering wheel really numbed the digits from time to time.

93ls1rx7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon on order
I say no damage in asking if they can move the deposit. T will sucks to be sitting in your $50K vehicle wishing you had ordered it differently….years of regret

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I would keep it, and then immediately resell it making a profit. That is assuming you bought it under invoice. Then order what you want.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hey everyone, I'm going through some mental Olympics over my Jeep order that I placed in November (paid $1k deposit). I had ordered a JLUR with a manual, cloth, tow package, LEDs, and hard-top.

I passed on the Cold Weather Package (CWP) because I've had it previously in my '21 JLR with cloth, and while it was nice and I enjoyed it, its not super necessary since it isn't leather, and is again, one less wiring harness, or component that could break, especially after reading about the heated steering wheel/seats shorting out and not being able to service that heater, etc. (I've had a heated seat go out in my Lexus and it was roughly $1400 to replace)

My hang up is if I was way overthinking the probability of failure of the CWP (I tend on keeping vehicles until they are dead), or if my thought process is solid in ordering without it. Do I eat the $1k deposit and re-order with the CWP? Keep it as is?

Driving me crazy because my logical mind is telling me to keep it, as for the less things that could break factor, and also if I really wanted, I could get aftermarket heated/cooled seats.

Even if I decide not to get heated seats, I could use a heated blankets on a topless night, or things of that sort.
Things like the Cold Weather Package are pleasant conveniences, but hardly necessary ones. You're correct that it's another system that could fail, in whole or in part, with a potentially expensive repair bill attached. You've had the CWP feature(s) in at least one other vehicle, so you know what you'd be missing. Given your experience with the heated seat failure in your Lexus, I'd suggest that you're not overthinking the matter. :)

You mention the potential of "eating" (losing?) your $1K deposit if you cancel your current Rubicon order. Does CA state law allow dealers to do this? In PA, for example, vehicle dealers must by law refund a customer's order deposit if he cancels the order or refuses to accept delivery of the vehicle after it's offloaded from the truck. Or would you be allowed to transfer the existing $1K to a new Jeep order, but then also be obligated to tender a second $1K deposit?

Funny you should mention 12V heated blankets. That's precisely what some of us do to prevent the sidecar passenger from fussing on those cooler Autumnal evening rides. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Feedback on my predicament... Sheetz
Sponsored