Fed up with Jeep Wave & issue of softop fluttering at highway speeds

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Hereā€™s a video of when I left the dealership.

I dunno man. May 97TJ soft top was so noisy at highway speeds you would think the top was going to rip off. The plastic windows would bow in. Have you tried to put the top down and then up to see if it reseats itself?

theguygrm

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JL 2.0 XR
Iā€™ve never had this issue with my Jeep, but have with my Ford.

Take it to an different dealer. On my ford, Dealer 1 told me the sounds were normal. Dealer 2 found a blown front differential.

Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Scrappy

Paul,
My first thought, buttressed by your video, is that a portion(s) of your soft top have come loose from some of the folding hardware, quite possibly one or more of the [perpendicular] crossbars.

If you know anyone who also owns a JLU w/soft top, possibly you could compare the tautness of both tops when raised, etc. Just a thought.

From my ownership experience through the years, soft tops should be viewed as a consumable of sorts. Certain issues will just occur from time to time, and will need to be IDd and reconciled.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Naval Flight Officer
I appreciate the consumable comment my issue is the Jeep is only 1.5 years old and the soft top has only been on for 6 months since I bought the dual top group. I have looked at every piece on the top and for the life of me canā€™t figure out what is wrong.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I appreciate the consumable comment my issue is the Jeep is only 1.5 years old and the soft top has only been on for 6 months since I bought the dual top group. I have looked at every piece on the top and for the life of me canā€™t figure out what is wrong.
double check your latches for the top and make sure they are completely latched. You should feel it "pop" closed. and the latch will be completely horizontal. in the video it looks like the one you can see is not latched. I know on mine, when its cold out sometimes its hard to latch completely because it seems to stretch the top and keep it nice n tight.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Wish you were closer and we'd switch tops
Hard top is nice and quiet but a real bitch to get off quickly - lol
As for the noise I'd probably turn up the radio
Seriously though please pull it all the way back down again and then slowly up and watch both sides to see what is different on the noisy side, best to have someone help
As far as the video goes - like everyone else was trying to say but didn't finish - the video is a swing and a miss as its too close to see anything so try again and this time from the other side of the Jeep if you want to analyze the issue with your video
Dealers suck but this forum will have your answer with just a bit more info I'm sure
:)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey all any recommendations on this? I have had an issue with my softop fluttering very bad at highway speeds. I keep being told by the dealership can't replicate it and I have taken video of it and given it to the dealer and was told today sorry the noise you hear is normal. As soon as I got on the highway leaving the dealer it was doing it as expected. The loaner they gave me was a wrangler and it was totally different than mine so I know the fluttering mine does is NOT normal. I have been working with Jeep wave and they keep giving me the run around I have asked to speak to a supervisor and the guy who contacted me acted like I was wasting his time and promised me a follow up call and I have never heard back from him. Any suggestions? Also @JeepCares are you seeing this?
Thanks for tagging us. If you'd like our team to look into your open case and provide an update, send a private message with the case number included.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I doubt it would fix your problem necessarily. But I recently reinstalled my soft top after taking it off completely and storing it in the garage all last summer and most of this past winter. I had unscrewed the latches on the front window so that I could install a custom clear roof panel that I made.

When I first reinstalled the soft top, it was super tight and I couldn't get the front piece near the front window latched. I ended up finding a way to force it into place. I figured maybe the cold was making it tighter kind of like with the rear window.

I drove around for like maybe 10 minutes before I headed back home because the front section of the soft top where it latches was vibrating. Not as far back as yours was in your video, but I ended up readjusting the latches on the front window and turned out I had to screw them down tighter than I had previously had them.

I know you say nothing is loose, but you'd be shocked how much a couple turns would affect something like that. If I were you I would go through and take a screwdriver or a wrench or whatever it takes and every single point that you can tighten up on a soft top, I would just make sure they're all tight. Because it's the most likely cause. The only other thing I could think of would be to make sure your soft top rails (The plastic pieces on the sides that the soft top slides on) are properly tightened down and in the holes correctly. I know when I reinstalled mine it took a couple of adjustments to get everything seated properly.

Best of luck, keep us updated

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So, you installed the soft top yourself and it has a problem? Are you sure everything is on right? Youā€™re better off doing this on your own, as the dealership isnā€™t going to want to mess with it.